Honored Contributor

Allegiant Airlines Pulling Out of Cleveland

I heard on the news the other day that Allegiant Airlines will no longer be serving the Cleveland market beginning in 2022.  Although over the weekend they were still taking reservervations for next year, anyone with a flight booked beginning in 2022 will be issued a refund.

Apparently this airline just never gained traction in Cleveland the way other budget airlines did like Frontier and Spirit. 

I never flew this airline but I know many who did.  They offered direct flights (although not daily) from Cleveland to many areas in Florida as well as Savannah, GA and Hilton Head.    

Honored Contributor

Re: Allegiant Airlines Pulling Out of Cleveland

My husband I have used Allegiant a few times, no complaints, except that the days and times were limited, but we were able to work around that issue.

Trusted Contributor

As long time Clevelanders we are sorry to see Frontier pull up stakes. We retired to S Carolina and then to Florida, and we have used Frontier many times back & forth between Cleveland and Columbia SC & Tampa. Our 2 Cleveland grandkids recently used Frontier for their June trip to Florida, first time we had been able to see them in two years with pandemic. I refuse to fly Spirit.....no way, no how. Check out passenger behavior on Spirit on YouTube and you'll get an idea of what we experienced on our first and last trip flying the Walmart of the skies. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier...you couldn't pay me to fly on ANY of them.

IMHO, Allegiant is a disaster waiting to happen and shouldn't even have an operating certificate. The Tampa Bay Times did a huge expose on their horrible maintenance practices back in 2016, followed by a 60 Minutes investigation in 2018. Even though they've replaced their older MD-80 aircraft with newer A320's, I still don't believe they are safe and wouldn't consider them. Ever. 

As for LCC's in general -buyer beware. Sure, the intial fare may be low, but then they nickel and dime you to death for everything else (except for Southwest). Additionally, they don't have interline agreements with any other carriers, so if you're on a flight that only operates 2 days a week and your day gets cancelled, you're SOL until they find you another seat on their equipment. You're not getting re-booked on another carrier. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 , I've never flown Allegiant but I have a friend who has a place in Florida and he used Allegiant almost exclusively to fly back and forth.  He's never had a problem.  A relative of mine also has a friend in Georgia and has used Allegiant a number of times and again, never a problem.

I know people who have never had an issue with Spirit despite all the nightmares. I've never used them.  For the heck of it I have priced them for various trips and they are always more money than even United. 

I've flown Frontier a few times without issue but I know others who have had huge issues with them.  The problem is, when something does go wrong, it's huge.

Every airline nickels and dimes you with the exception of Southwest however, look what happened with them recently.  I'm not sure there is any reliable airline anymore.