Honored Contributor

@Travone 

One more thing.  You asked what we would miss if we moved out of the state.

For me, it would be the scent of Russian olive blossoms.  May is the month that this much-maligned invasive species blossoms.

If you have the opportunity, get a good whiff while you're here.  Might be my favorite scent of all time.  It's what I look forward to all year.

Invasive Russian olive tree - how to get rid of it and why

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee. Thank you so much.  That was great information to know, and will definitely keep it in mind.  

I am going to be in town beginning Wednesday, armed with everything all the great posters here shared with me.   You guys are the best.  

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@just bee. Thank you so much.  That was great information to know, and will definitely keep it in mind.  

I am going to be in town beginning Wednesday, armed with everything all the great posters here shared with me.   You guys are the best.  

@Travone 

Looks like it will be in the 80s starting today.  Mornings and evenings will be cooler, so layer, layer, layer.

A couple more tips:

1. Drink lots of water.

2. Bring a dependable lip balm and keep it in a pocket for easy access.

3. Sunglasses!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Travone 

Walking with Better-half and the dog, sniffing out Russian olive before its season ends.  Mentioned you were going to visit and BH reminded me of something as important (moreso as far as he's concerned) as the east/west thing.

The north/south thing.

ABQ is divided into quadrants: NW, NE, SW, SE.

NW and NE are preferable to SW and SE.

Respected Contributor

@just bee That is valuable information.   Tell your better half thank you for me.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@just bee That is valuable information.   Tell your better half thank you for me.

@Travone 

I will. Woman LOL

Get some rest and enjoy the trip! Heart

Respected Contributor

@just bee @catmama @kze @Kachina624 @sueinsf @oracle 

Hi All,  I just wanted to let you know that I am back home after my wonderful trip to Albuquerque.  I stayed at the Parq Central Hotel.  I had never stayed there before and it was the perfect location for me.  It was close to I-25 (a block away) and a straight shot to Old Town.  It's a nice hotel with a great history (used to be a hospital).  The rooms are big and quiet.  Didn't hear anything from the other rooms even though I knew people were in them.  They gave me a corner room overlooking the courtyard.  Lots of windows....it was great.  Free parking and free upscale continental breakfast (mini quiches and waffles, fruit, cottage cheese etc.)  The courtyard was a great place to decompress after a long day of house hunting, very peaceful and calm.  Great place to read or chat with other guests.

I did go to the range cafe....was able to walk there from my hotel.  Very good blood orange margarita....but ask for it with a sugar rim instead of the salt. 

Another restaurant that I just happened to walk into was Matucci's 25.  I really enjoyed my dinner there one night.  I would go back there the next time I am in town.

I found two places possible retirement places that are on my "perhaps" list.  One is the Del Webb Alegria in Bernalilo and the other is Jubilee in Los Lunas.  Neither is a perfect fit, but both have potential.  Alegria is beautiful and Bernalilo is built up with things to do outside of the complex.  It is older but it is very well maintained.  The clubhouse and pool are smaller than Jubilee.  Jubilee is beautiful and has an amazing clubhouse and pool but the city has nothing around.  The only grocery store close by is Walmart.  I have written an email to the city asking if there are any plans for future business expansion.  They are building a new housing complex very close to the facebook office so I'm hoping that will build up the city.  As I don't need to make a decision yet, I have time to see if there is any growth potential.  The other downside of Los Lunas is proximity to a hospital.  Since this will be my retirement home, I want to be close to healthcare. Both complexes have great activities that I would join.  I have requested financials and rules from both places to compare.

One other thing, Jubilee is much less expensive than Alegria.  I found the same thing when looking in Nevada.  The smaller the nearby city, the less expensive the complex.  Both have the same HOA fees.

They are both on my list.  I plan to spend two weeks in Arizona to look at places there.  I was there last August to determine if I could handle the heat in the dead of summer but did not look at any 55+ communities.  I'm hoping then to be able to make a decision.

I didn't have a lot of time for leisure, but I did manage to take the Sandia tram.  I hadn't been there for several years so I really enjoyed it.  The tram was full on the way up, but I don't know how I timed it so well, on the way down there were only 11 on the tram.  We were able to go from window to window for great views. 

I also spent a day in Old Town.  Can't go to Albuquerque without visiting.

All in all, it was a perfect trip.  Thank you all for all of your input and help.  I have to say, everyone I met was just extremely nice.  I felt at home there, and it was very easy to get around the town.

@just bee  at Jubilee they had honeysuckle plants on part of the property.  We had one in my backyard growing up.  Love the smell.and it smelled like home. 

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

Now that the Russian olive blossoms are fading, I depend on that honeysuckle.  Very common in these parts.

Sounds like a great trip! Heart

Los Lunas is growing but, you're right, access to a hospital is important.  Lots of healthcare options in ABQ and Rio Rancho.

I'll be interested to know what you decide to do.

Trusted Contributor

@Travone 

Sounds like you had a productive trip.  I agree with you about Los Lunas.  When I lived in Albuquerque,  it seems that area was kind of barren.  Good idea to request information about future development. 

I loved living in Albuquerque and made many good friends.  Most were through customers so I was lucky there.  I only left because of my job and I still miss it.

Bernalillo was an area I really liked too.

Thanks for letting us know about your trip and keep us updated.

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

The Range - Bernalillo, New Mexico - Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog

There's a Range Café in Bernalillo.  The original opened in 1992 but was destroyed by a fire in 1995.  A new one was built in 1996.

The inside is full of local art.