Respected Contributor

@sueinsf I will keep you posted.   I  live on Ohio now.  I've looked at a few places in Nevada and St George Utah.   Going later in the year to the Phoenix area.  I hope to choose a location by the end of the year.   I keep hoping I know immediately when I see the right place. 

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@just bee. I LOL about your comment about being in pajamas in your backyard.   I looked at a place in Mesquite Nv, and the backyard were all open....I ruled it out because if I want to wear my pajamas in my backyard I don't want to worry that my neighbors are having a party. Woman Very Happy

@Travone 

Not to worry.  Chances are neighbors here will be in their pajamas, too.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@sueinsf I will keep you posted.   I  live on Ohio now.  I've looked at a few places in Nevada and St George Utah.   Going later in the year to the Phoenix area.  I hope to choose a location by the end of the year.   I keep hoping I know immediately when I see the right place. 

@Travone  I have a friend in Henderson I plan to visit, and my brother really liked when he visited St. George.  I have some places in Arizona on my list (including Tucson).  I just don't know how I would feel about the desert heat, even though I know it's dry heat.  But better than heat AND humidity I suppose.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@Travone   I couldn't live in Phoenix due to insufferable heat.  Albuquerque is a lot more temperate in climate due to our altitude.  We usually get several light snowfalls in winter, summer days about 95° but evenings cool off.  Of course it's very dry.  I never see mosquitoes at my house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Travone 

@Kachina624 

@sueinsf 

I can't say I'm a fan of heat, either, but I can say that one of this area's advantages is the climate.  (Shhh.  Keep that under your hat.)

Four distinct seasons.  We have fall color and enough snow to be pretty.

I lived in Arizona and have visited since but I feel the heat is oppressive in Tucson and the Phoenix area.

Albuquerque is high desert and the cooler temperatures when the sun goes down make all the difference.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@just bee @Kachina624 

Thanks so much for the information    wherever I retire I will be moving alone.   I'm looking at 55+ communities because I want a choice of activities to make it easier to meet a variety of people. 

The airport is convenient and managable too. 

Trusted Contributor

@Travone 

@Kachina624 

My favorite place to eat was the Range Cafe where I always had blue corn enchiladas.   We always went to the one in Bernalillo but I would guess the one on Central would be the same and more convenient for Travone.

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all for your suggestions and responses.   These are great.   Looking forward to my visit. 

Valued Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@catmama wrote:

My husband and I went their prepandemic and enjoyed eating at the 66 diner on Route 66.  Fun place with great burgers!  I'm going there this fall and looking forward to revisiting.  Also, if you can take a balloon ride, they are fantastic!

@catmama 

Route 66 Diner, Albuquerque, New Mexico | The Route 66 Diner… | Flickr

Haven't been there in years, but I do remember the shakes. Heart

Ditto on the balloon ride.  We were fortunate, when we first moved here, to have coworkers who were balloonists and were invited to join the crew.

I have a problem with heights but had no issue with that in a balloon.

@just bee  I forgot about the shakes!  Thanks for reminding me.

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

Not sure which day you'll be arriving but, according to Accuweather, this week may be warmer and drier than what we've had recently (cooler temperatures and rain).

Chances are you'll be staying on the east side of the river.  I feel the most important decision when anyone considers moving here is choosing a side.

Will you live on the east side of town or the west side?

For several reasons we chose to live on the Westside; however, I've always worked on the Eastside.  You'll be retired so commuting won't be a huge issue.  But know that there are only a few ways to move from one side of town to the other.

There isn't a lot of growth on the east side of town because everything stops at the Sandias.  That means all future growth will be on the west side of town.  Many new housing developments are under construction.  There's even a Del Webb community on the Westside (Mirehaven).

Pros and cons for each side, of course.

If you find yourself interested in the Duke City, feel free to ask any questions. Heart