Esteemed Contributor

Been to Alaska... cruise.  Royal Caribbean.  Loved it.  Only state I have not seen or been to is Hawaii and that will be next... on my bucket list. 

We always go with groups... mostly square dancing groups.  The caller and his travel agent makes all the plans... meal and theater times, etc.  He plans the time for the dances aboard. So we are part of plans made for us in advance.

We book our off ship excursions ourselves and most of them have not been what is expected.  HOWEVER I WILL NEVER DO MY OWN THING.  IF THE TOUR IS NOT SANCTIONED OR SET UP BY THE SHIP AND SOMETHING HAPPENS THE SHIP WILL LEAVE WITHOUT YOU.  TRUST ME.  I have seen this happen.. ship has a boarding time.. you are not there you will have to find a way to get to the next port to board.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alaskan cruise

[ Edited ]

We cruised to Alaska in May on Celebrity.  Normally, we sail Royal Caribbean, but I wanted to see Sitka and Victoria and that was why we selected Celebrity.  I was not happy with that cruise line and would not sail with them again as it appeared that most of the staff was in training and service, food, and entertainment were not good, which was a surprise. 

Alaska was amazing and we did not take a tour at every port.  We sailed out of Vancouver, a cruise terminal that was not prepared for three cruise ships to be in port.  It took 4 1/2 hours to board.  Vancouver, however, was a very nice city; but, if I had known that we would spend most of the day trying to board our ship, we would have done our sightseeing differently.

Our first port, which is probably the first port of any Alaska cruise, was Ketchikan.  We had a delightful day just walking around, going to Creek Street, and visiting the Totem Heritage Center.  We also did not take a tour in Sitka, but we did stop in at the Sitka Pioneers' Home, which is an assisted living center right in town.  They welcome visitors and with that, shopping, and picture taking, it filled most of the day.

We did whale watching and the glacier in Juneau, the White Pass Railway in Skagway, and Butchart Gardens in Victoria.  Not too expensive and gave us an opportunity to see more of Alaska.

Our cruise ended in Seattle and we did a tour that included the Space Needle, Pike Market, and many areas of the city.

We did meet people that were on the Noordam, which I think is Holland America, and they said it was just okay--sort of how we felt about Celebrity.

When we arrived at our hotel in Seattle, I met several  people who had taken their Alaska cruise on Royal Caribbean, and they had excellent food and great entertainment that included ice skating and Dancing with the Stars.  On Celebrity, we had a talk on the Titanic and a band from Victoria.  Definitely not what I was expecting.

I will say that no matter the cruise line or ship, Alaska is a wonderful experience.  The food and entertainment, while I had hoped for better, were not a reason not to go on any cruise line.  Most of the people who I met on the cruise had taken the Alaska cruise many times and they did different tours or no tours each time.  I think to see Alaska for the first time, that a cruise is probably the way to go.  We are already thinking about going back but not on a cruise.  The people are lovely and the scenery is spectacular.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl

Thank you for the review of your trip.   Its too bad the ship was not up to par but does sound like you enjoyed Alaska.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alaskan cruise

[ Edited ]

@JudyLwrote:

Thank you to the poster that suggested I check out Cruise Critics website.  Did that and now I'm not so sure about taking a cruise.  The reviews for the Princess ships were mixed, seemed to be as many unfavorable as favorable reviews.  Had forgotten that someone once told me that ship's charge you for every little thing once you are on board.  Lots of people complained about their bills being wrong and charged things they shouldn't have been charged for, refunds being a hassle, etc.  Some complained about not enough to do on board on sail days, nightly enterntainment was not good, etc.  So I'm thinking a cruise may not be for me.  Land tours are out of the budget right now too.  The hard thing is that doing an Alaskan cruise has always been on my bucket list so haven't given up on it altogether, just going to give it some more thought and research.

@JudyL~ ITA, the Cruise Critics website hasn't really given me much of any valuable info on cruising Alaska... however, I have found some great tips on YouTube.

All the best @JudyL on finding an Alaskan cruise!

Esteemed Contributor

@LIG1 wrote:

@JudyL~ ITA, the Cruise Critics website hasn't really given me much of any valuable info on cruising Alaska... however, I've gained a tremendous amount of insight and some great tips by just watching YouTube.

Did you go on the Alaska sub-forum on their boards (under Ports of Call)?  Lots of information there.  Their Cruise Fashions & Beauty forum usually has somebody asking about what to pack/bring with on the cruise.  

One can also communicate with others on their individual cruise under Roll Calls, where you may be able to plan private tours with others depending on how active the roll call is.

There's alot on their boards, but maybe difficult to find.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu: While it's true that while ships will leave letters (hence travel insurance is essential for unforeseen travel issues) they also leave their own tours.  We saw that happen in Oahu when the Carnival ship rocked next to us did just that at their last port with a bus of their own tour. They did give them room and board and fly them to Oahu.  We always leave an extra hour before ship departs on our self directed tours.  Btw, you would be amazed what some people plan on their own (ex: While our San Franvisco, get a rental car and also do Napa on one overnite).

Honored Contributor

Want to thank everyone for all the info and tips re an Alaskan cruise.  I've decided, however, that it's probably not gong to happen next year.  The price for a one week cruise is, to me, too much.  For a little bit more money, I can take a European tour with GCT or OAT and be gone 2-3 weeks.  A friend who went on a Princess cruise last year said they booked their 10 day Alaskan cruise in Jan or Feb, during a sale and it wasn't as much as what I found yesterday.  So maybe I'll check back after the first of the year.  Am disappointed that it cost so much but maybe some other time.

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

A friend who went on a Princess cruise last year said they booked their 10 day Alaskan cruise in Jan or Feb, during a sale and it wasn't as much as what I found yesterday.  So maybe I'll check back after the first of the year.  Am disappointed that it cost so much but maybe some other time.

Usually, the best time to book a cruise is the day they first go on sale.  Regardless, in most cases - and the industry is changing- you can keep checking the price and ask for a price adjustment if it goes down up until final payment.  Did that my last four cruises (1 I needed to cancel), and the price never went below what I paid.

Of course, some lines are getting/have nonrefundable deposits, etc.  Need to be aware of the cancellation/price matching policies.

I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be great time!  

Regular Contributor

First visited Alaska in 1996 when our girls were 9 and 4.   We flew into Anchorage, rented a mini van, and drove to Fairbanks and back.   Only alotted 7 days which definitely wasn't enough as Alaska is VAST. Vowed we would go back in 5 years, but, life got in the way.

Fast forward to 2016.   Decided since it had been 20 years we would definitely go back.  Booked a cruise with Carnival roundtrip from Seattle.   Loved it.   The interior we did the first time is different than the southeast experience.   We visited Skagway, Ketchiken,  Juneau, and VIctoria   Did a ship excursion in the Alaskan ports.  Enjoyed the sea days on deck looking at the scenery  

We are avid cruisers with about 30 under our belts on whatever line has the best price at the time.   Alaska cost $849pp plus port fees/taxes, gratuities, and shore excursion costs.

Just do it.   People who have a miserable trip are usually miserable no matter what.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Thank you to the poster that suggested I check out Cruise Critics website.  Did that and now I'm not so sure about taking a cruise.  The reviews for the Princess ships were mixed, seemed to be as many unfavorable as favorable reviews.  Had forgotten that someone once told me that ship's charge you for every little thing once you are on board.  Lots of people complained about their bills being wrong and charged things they shouldn't have been charged for, refunds being a hassle, etc.  Some complained about not enough to do on board on sail days, nightly enterntainment was not good, etc.  So I'm thinking a cruise may not be for me.  Land tours are out of the budget right now too.  The hard thing is that doing an Alaskan cruise has always been on my bucket list so haven't given up on it altogether, just going to give it some more thought and research.

I guess my sister and I don't live high off the hog but the only charge we had on our bill was the mandatory gratuity for the crew.  Our cabin attendant was so helpful, we left him extra in an envelope in our cabin.  We paid for drinks on an as-you-go basis.  We weren't nickeled and dimmed at all,  Everything was paid before the cruise.  At sometime in your life, you must see Alaska. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment