Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Glad you had good weather.  I keep checking the weather in Juneau and it looks chilly and rainy.  I hope we are as fortunate as you were.

Frequent Contributor

I just came back from what sounds like the same cruise.  I too had been very confused as to what to bring.  Everyone kept saying "layers".  In other words, you had to bring one of everything, because the weather was so unpredictable!  I did not bring any capris or shorts.  I was very comfortable in my Denin & Co. active french terry long or ankle length pants.  Took three lands end supima polos (short sleeve), 2 cotton turtlenecks,  and a couple light weight long sleeve dressier tops to wear to dinner and the shows.  Took the Susan Graver pants, which I had bought specifically for the cruise, and yes, they were great for packing.  Also had a few of her tunics and jackets, but ended up not wearing them.  It didn't matter, since they took up so little space.  I went on the most active excursions, ie. helicopter to the top of the glacier, whale watching, and other wildlife sighting boatrides.  If you go on the helicopter to the glacier, think winter - hat, gloves, scarf, etc.  You will only be there for a short time, but it is freezing cold!  The boatrides we went on all had indoor areas where you wouldn''t get wet, and they were heated, but we wanted to be outside as much as possible, so again the hats and gloves came in handy.  I was wearing a lightweight Lands End Squall Parker with a cotton turtleneck, and my husband had something similar.  A hood will come in very handy if you don't happen to have your hat.  We each took a backpack when we left the ship.  I had a small Jansport, and my husband took a larger one, and if we were too warm we could put our jackets in them.  We also were able to put the souveniers we bought in them. We both wore lightweight hiking shoes at all the ports.  Again, we did a lot of walking, but if you don't plan to, you can just wear sneakers.  I preferred the hiking shoes since a lot of the towns were wet and drizzly.  Since this was my first cruise, I researched what to pack.  One of the best tips was to buy a cheap over the door shoe holder to store all your toiletries in.  I didn't use it for packing.  I didn't unwrap it until we got there, and then I hung it up on the bathroom door.  While the cabin was very well planned out and make optimal use of the space, I felt it was much easier having everything in front of me in one area.  I even put things like the hats and gloves in there.  If you're interested, let me know and I will post of picture of it.  I got it in Walmart for under $5.  I also read that all the walls on a ship are made of metal, so you can bring magnetic hooks for extra storage.  I did buy a few "clips" I saw in the dollar store, and used them to hang up papers like the daily schedule, etc. Harmonds had little toothbrush holders with suction cups on them, so you could hang your toothbrushes right on the mirror.  I found the closet space was fine, but I was glad I made extra storage for the bathroom.  We lucked out and didn't have any rain, but you have to be prepared for anything.  Oh, and they sell lots of jackets, hoodies,  and fleece vests on the ship, and a lot of people bought them. We lucked out with the weather.  Hope you do too.  Enjoy!  

Trusted Contributor

Last September we went on the last Alaskan cruise of the season.

Ship had lots of onboard sales going on.

I never needed a heavy coat, gloves and hat.

A fleece jacket and jeans was enough for me. Had to buy

a rain jacket and hood since I didn't bring that.  The ship

had umbrellas available, but I wanted my hands free.

My favorite excursion was taking the boat out to

see the whales.  The train ride up into the mountains was

almost a waste of money since it was foggy and drizzling,

but scenery I was able to see was beautiful.

It was a wonderful trip.  Wishing you a safe and fun journey.

Contributor

Thanks so much!  Your info is very helpful.  I wondered if I should take a turtleneck, you answered my question.  I am taking a couple of vests, one is quilted but very light weight.  I do have a cosmetic bag that i can hang on the door.  i did not know about the metal walls, I can see where magnets would be useful.  I even have the Susan Graver Milano knit pants., and I have D&C french terry pants too.  I  plan to take jeans as well.  I don't have a packback, but might have to get one.  A couple of people advised taking one.  We are looking forward to our trip and I hope the weather is as good for us as it was for you.