Respected Contributor

What cruise line would you recommend for this kind of trip?  So many choices....I hear Colette does a nice job with their services but not sure if they go to Alaska.

Esteemed Contributor

We've used Princess and Royal Caribbean on Alaska cruises and enjoyed both.  Whether you have kids ( and ages) should factor into your decision.Recommend that you read Cruise Critic about Alaska cruises and various lines.

Regular Contributor

I've found that Princess and Holland America probably have the best oprtions for Alaska, whether just a cruise or a cruise tour.  We went with Princess and enjoyed every minute of it.  That being said, we don't require every minute of every day to be filled with activities.  The food was delicious, the entertainment was fine, ship was clean and well maintained.  From my research, it seems as though Holland is similar.

One of the hightlights of an Alaskan cruise is Glacier Bay.  There are a limited number of ships allowed to enter Glacier Bay in a day, and not all cruise lines are permitted to cruise Glacier Bay.  Both Princess and Holland are.  

Frequent Contributor

We did a week land tour with Globus and then on Holland America Cruise lines for our trip to the mainland.  Alaska is a big and beautiful state.  Enjoy

Honored Contributor

We went on the Disney Cruise to Alaska.

Really enjoyed the cruise. Went at a excellent time. It was sunny every day we were in Alaska. Our first sight of Alaska was Glacier Bay. First time I ever saw blue ice.

So all the tours that we wanted to take were so nice. Whether we were on a whale boat trip, panning for gold, visiting Mendenhall Glacier, seeing the totem poles or going to Raptor Center. We also took a ride up a mountain to see for miles and miles.

I think most of the cruise lines offer similar tours and sights. It was such a beautiful trip. That we plan on going again. Eight days was not enough time.

Esteemed Contributor

Holland America Westtours combines cruise and travel. WONDERFUL!

Trusted Contributor

It depends on what you expect from the cruise. Princess, Holland America and Celebrity have wonderful service, great food and accommodations. If you are taking children or teens then consider Royal Caribbean, Disney, Princess or Norwegian. If you want to go upscale Regent, Seaborn, Crystal, Oceania....picking the correct line and ship is so important. You probably need to move quickly, time is running out for the preferred cabins and discounts.  

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

What cruise line would you recommend for this kind of trip?  So many choices....I hear Colette does a nice job with their services but not sure if they go to Alaska.

Depends on who's going and what your expectations are.  Check cruise critic and trip advisor.  If it's your first time, would strongly suggest a cruise AND a land tour.  

We have done a 7-day cruise Vancouver to Anchorage and then rented a car and drove around for a week. Denali is a must.

We have also done a 14 day cruise r/t from Seattle and are doing another 14 day cruise r/t from Vancouver.  All our cruises have been on Holland America.

There is a LOT to see in Alaska!  Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alaska Cruise

[ Edited ]

We chose Holland America because there would be few if any children on board. Would pick them again. 

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I've been looking into Alaska cruises  I'd really love to go, my husband and daughter...not so much.  I think when comparing any cruise, especially Alaska,  an equal comparison is done.  Make sure it's the same Category and type of stateroom, the up charges such as drink packages and activities, number of days, and expecially itinerary,.  You didn't mention who will be going on the cruise and their ages.  I think that's a big factor as to wanting to find a ship to meet everyone's needs.  From what I found so far:  Norweigan (Encore) and RCCL (Ovation of the Seas) both sail their largest ships to Alasks, they are floating megaships.  Holland and Princess have land and sea options.  They have overnight stays on land thru their own lodges and rail cars.  Disney cruise line is pretty much the most expensive, not just with Alaska but in general for all cruises.  Itinerary, for me, is most important.  So much to choose from and not one ship goes to all at the same time:  Northbound, Southbound, Hubbard Glacier, Inside Passage, Glacier Bay, Dawes Glacier, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.  Also the number of days and where you want to embark.  It's usually Seattle or Vancouver.  If Vancouver, know before you go in regard to updated Covid info.  Best time to cruise Alaska is July and August.  And that is also the most expensive.  There's a small window in which to best cruise Alasks and it's a very popular destination.