Valued Contributor

Before the pandemic,I used to call a major airline and they immediately answered the phone.

I have been on hold over 10 hours (different days) trying different phone numbers. Then I read on Facebook and Instagram that customers were having the same problem. 

I went to the airport desk and the employee said they can't find people to hire. She called a number only they have at the airport. She said the wait time was 15-20 minutes.

After a long wait on hold, she was able to solve my problem. The airline changed one of my flights.

Did someone else experience long waits calling airlines?The one I use is probably the major one in the country.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bibione    There're are long waits due to short staffing everywhere!  All types of businesses are hurting because they're unable to fill their openings because it is currently more lucrative to not work than to work.

I recently opened a new bank account. That routine event should easily be accomplished in under 30 minutes. Instead it took two and a half hours because there was only. ONE BANKER on the premises, with another that drives from branch to branch as needed.

Super Contributor

Re: Airlines problems

[ Edited ]

My sister worked as a reservationist for a major airline. She worked from home and the pay was very low. Her incentive was free flights for her and designated partner (stand by and some fees). Many of her co workers had other jobs and worked for the airline part time for the flight benefits. She quit because the free flights really have no value now. Probably many have quit for this reason. This, like many things, will probably normalize over time. 
i should add that she moved on to a much better job. Good pay and benefits. For many people the pandemic opened up opportunities to leave low paying jobs.I'd be slow to go back too!

Honored Contributor

Just hang on until Sep. (not sure of exact date) when Federal benefits run out.  Work pool will get much larger.  It's been over a year, we can take inconveniences for a couple more months.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Airlines problems

[ Edited ]

@mspemberley wrote:

My sister worked as a reservationist for a major airline. She worked from home and the pay was very low. Her incentive was free flights for her and designated partner (stand by and some fees). Many of her co workers had other jobs and worked for the airline part time for the flight benefits. She quit because the free flights really have no value now. Probably many have quit for this reason. This, like many things, will probably normalize over time. 

I worked as a reservation agent for a major airline, in the late sixties.  

The salary was excellent, and we kept getting raises frequently.  The fringe benefits of course included free travel anywhere the airline flew, for myself, spouse and parents.  I don't recall children being able to fly free, but I didn't have any, so it's something I was likely not to remember.

I left after 2 years because it entailed shift work and 6 and 7 day "stretches", which was the policy to enable you to have a four day off every few months to enable you to travel.  I just hated shift work.

Also, it was a little stressful dealing with the public for an eight hour shift, I felt like I was a telephone operator, sometimes very robot-like, plugged into my computer terminal.  This was just after the airline had switched over to a computerized system.

All in all, it was a fun job in some respects and I'm glad I did it, but it wasn't what one would want for a career.

I can't imagine what the job is like today, probably very different.

Esteemed Contributor

Short staffed everywhere. In addition to other reasons, we baby boomers are leaving the workforce in droves every day.

I finally got one callback from an electrician today after weeks of trying. He said he has been unable to hire help and is working solo- doing it all: returning calls, scheduling jobs and doing the actual work, etc.

I will finally get my small job done later this week, after which the handyman can return to spackle and paint and complete the job

No more home projects. Too much hassle. (and $$$)..

Respected Contributor

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the OP is trying to reach Delta.

They have a banner running across the top of their home page stating that they're having long hold tiimes, and it's been a running topic of consternation on Flyertalk for some time. As a Platinum Medallion, I have a designated number to call for assistance and that line currently has a 4 hour wait time. The call back option has been dropped for now. It's unacceptable. 

IF the ability to change flights either on the website or thru the app actually worked, it'd reduce the need to make those calls considerably, but DL's IT is seemingly run by the same people as QVC's, rendering the ability to do anything but the most basic of purchases and check-in's non-existent. It's ridiculous. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Bibione 

We rarely call the airlines.  Almost everything we need to do is done via computer and we've had no problems.  Not sure why it is needed to call????

Valued Contributor

They changed my flight. It was impossible to fix the problem on their website. In my State, the governor stopped unemployment in June. After a lawsuit,it is has been reinstated til September.

Honored Contributor

No wait time at Southwest Airlines when I rebooked my flight that I cancelled in March, 2020.  The shock was that my credit didn't cover the replacement ticket.  Price was up by at a third more.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)