Esteemed Contributor

If you have to go through all these hoops to travel no one will do it. Try telling people they can't have a carry on. Good luck with that. I guess those vests with multi pockets will be very popular. What are they going to do with all those people at the gate? Rope it off in 6' squares so everyone can stand in their box? Are they going to call out your name or row so you can board one at a time? Blood test? Nope. Lawsuits to follow on that one. 

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Lali1  Dubai based airline Emirates has begun carrying out covid-19 rapid blood tests at the airport prior to flights (cnn travel)

If it's like the one they use to check my A1C it's not terribly invasive. I don't imagine even putting these things in place they will last forever. 

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Yeah let's panic over what it "may" be like and what "could" happen.

Exactly! The press permeates the public with fear. 

Respected Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1  As somebody who has traveled extensively all over the world -- I have to disagree with you.  What difference does it make if some of these responses are temporarily in place already?  Do you really believe that they will not become permanent?  Look at the protocols put into place after 9/11.  Not only have they become permanent -- there are constantly new ones added.  I hope I am wrong -- but I cannot imagine that travel going forward will look anything like what we knew before.  We have a very close group of friends who have traveled as much as we have.  It pains me to say it -- but the common sentiment is that we are very glad we traveled as much as we did -- and if the reality becomes anything like the projections -- we are finished.

@judy0330 

Like you, I have traveled extensively. I'm well into my 2nd million set of back-side-in-seat miles on DAL. I've already requalified for medallion status for next year, even though it's being extended by the airline. April was the first month in nearly 10 years that I didn't get on an airplane for some reason, and I hated it. 

The difference that it makes is simply that the article is inaccurate. Full of speculation and "might be" hypothesis. If it were accurately researched and written, it would state that some of these things have been already implemented, even if on a temporary basis. It makes it sound as if things like self check-in are just now happening, when they've been around for many years.  No, I don't believe that they will necessarily become permanent, particularly in the premium cabins. 

Certainly, we don't have to agree on this, and we won't. We don't have to, but I thank you for being respectful in voicing your opinion. That's in very short supply here at the Q boards. I wish you all the best, and delightful, safe travels should you change your mind for the future. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

If you have to go through all these hoops to travel no one will do it. Try telling people they can't have a carry on. Good luck with that. I guess those vests with multi pockets will be very popular. What are they going to do with all those people at the gate? Rope it off in 6' squares so everyone can stand in their box? Are they going to call out your name or row so you can board one at a time? Blood test? Nope. Lawsuits to follow on that one. 

It's already happened. I'm not positive which incident caused that - either the underwear bomber or the shoe bomber, but for a while, there was no cabin baggage allowed on international flights. It was a nightmare for business people who needed to travel with their computers, etc. Thankfully it didn't last long. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Janey2  The article states these are requirments for only one airline, Emirates so far, not a US carrier.  

Super Contributor

Hubby and I had that conversation.  Our military life took us all over the globe.  Moved every two years.  We were lucky enough to see all the beautiful places before everything was overrun with people.  Travel now is out of the question.  Flying has become a nightmare even before COVID.  Most nice places are so crowded that it takes all the fun out of visiting.