Trusted Contributor

Advise for a cruise to Alaska, please!

[ Edited ]

DH and I will be travelling to Seattle in mid/late May to take a cruise to Alaska where his son will be getting married on board (I know, neat idea, huh?)

I've never posted here before, but would like some advice on what to bring to Alaska in May, clothing/accessories wise as well as how to handle sea sickness etc.  

You see, I'm DEATHLY afraid of huge ships.  They scare the beejeebers out of me.  For instance, once while in NYC, DH and I were going to tour the Intrepid Air Craft Carrier moored on the west side of Manhattan.  We were in line and came up close to the bow (? front!) of the ship and it was so huge I couldn't stay in line, did not want to get on that massive thing AT ALL.  Can't watch the Titanic movie or any war shows that show ships sinking.  

We're going because of my step-son's wedding, otherwise I can't imagine that we'd EVER do a cruise. So, help me, dear Travelers, to get over this or recommend some good drugs!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Advise for a cruise to Alaska, please!

@Sammijo10I'll let someone else talk about what to wear -  I did my Alaska cruise just before the season closed in the fall.  Then, I could wear pretty much the same thing I'd have been wearing at that time on Long Island.

But I will tell you that I had no seasickness at any time on the week we spent on the ship -  and I sometimes feel a bit nauseous when I'm a front-seat car passenger let alone on board a huge ship.  My undrstanding from my many boating friends is that the larger the ship, the more stable it is so the less you're likely to be rocked into nausea.  Also -  the Alaskan cruises are pretty much in protected waters, so I'd hope you'd be fine.

I do hope you go and enjoy yourself -  and if time and money and inclination fit at all, I'd hope you could add a few days of Alaska by land.  I've seen lots of our nation over the years, but Alaska still amazed me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sammijo......I am sure you will find good advice here from other travelers who have been on this cruise.  I have not been on this one but have been on others.  I understand your anxiety but you don't want it to spoil this special trip.  I would consult with your doctor about a small dose of anti-anxiety medicine....or whatever is suggested.  I would try the medicine ahead of time to make sure it does not bother you.  

Of all the cruises out there, the Alaskan cruises are the ones that, usually, get high marks.  Think of it as boarding a large hotel or resort because that is what it is.  Do not book a lower level room or you will feel claustrophobic.  I would get an outside view or balcony room.  You will love it.  

Weather will probably be very cool.  Check ship website for information.

I hope all goes well for you.  Think positive!!!  

Honored Contributor

Seasickness is not a problem when you're cruising the inside passage.  It's about as rough as water in your bathtub.  However, if you leave from Seattle you have to go some distance to get to the inside passage.  My sister and I got sick as dogs and wished we'd brought something for seasickness.  Ask your pharmacist  for a recommendation. 

Plan to dress in layers as it can be quite chilly on the deck of a ship that is underway and the weather can be rainy so bring a poncho or something for wet weather.  Dress is very casual.  Bring binoculars if you have some for wildlife viewing.  You'll get used to the size of the ship as you're around them.  They are very big.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10   What fun.  Congratulations on the wedding. 

We went to Alaska last July.  We did a week on land and a week cruising with land stops.

A lot of people had little round patches that they wore in back of their ears.  I believe they were prescription patches from their doctor.  They all were very pleased.  Rarely did we ever feel like we were on a ship or feel the movement of the ship, but if you are not thrilled about being on one,  GET THE PATCHES.  That was my first cruise and we were fine without.  Do you have a cabin with a balcony or an inside cabin?

As for clothing,  we had a mix of very warm days and cooler days.  I would say from 55-80 degrees, so LAYERING is the best thing.   If you are going to take some side trips on land, which is highly recommended, wear very comfortable shoes.  We also saw so many different styles of clothing on board from very fancy in the evening to jeans and tee shirts.  It was really a matter of choice.  There were some fancier restaurants, but nothing that made you wear anything really dressy, unless that was your choice.

Have fun ...  keep busy, relax, enjoy yourself.  You may also want to ask your doctor about giving you something to calm your nerves/fears.  That may help you. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know what cruise line you're going on but DH and I honeymooned on the Golden Princess (thus my name) inside passage from Seattle to Juneau. I was concerned about 44 hr at sea once we left Seattle but I never knew I was on a ship. Inside Passage as someone else mentioned is way to go. Enjoy!! Can't wait to hear. Ours was late July and it was starting to get cool at night but awesome.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  I will ask about the little behind the ear patches.  We will be on a Royal Caribbean ship (I forget which one at the moment) and have reserved a cabin that overlooks the 'atrium'.  DH didn't want to spring for the balcony no matter how much I thought it might help me get over my silly fears. I did insist that the cabin be above sea level about mid ship.  

Since it's late May, I'm assuming jeans are ok to wear, with maybe a tee and cardigan for most days? Jacket when needed.  I've read that even gloves and a hat are recommended as the temps can vary.    

I bought a pair of Earth Origins shoes to wear for our trip to France last spring and absolutely LOVED them.  So they will be going and the wardrobe built around them!  (LOL)

Any particular excursions that are not to be missed?

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

Thanks, everyone!  I will ask about the little behind the ear patches.  We will be on a Royal Caribbean ship (I forget which one at the moment) and have reserved a cabin that overlooks the 'atrium'.  DH didn't want to spring for the balcony no matter how much I thought it might help me get over my silly fears. I did insist that the cabin be above sea level about mid ship.  

Since it's late May, I'm assuming jeans are ok to wear, with maybe a tee and cardigan for most days? Jacket when needed.  I've read that even gloves and a hat are recommended as the temps can vary.    

I bought a pair of Earth Origins shoes to wear for our trip to France last spring and absolutely LOVED them.  So they will be going and the wardrobe built around them!  (LOL)

Any particular excursions that are not to be missed?

I went to Alaska in late June. I took jeans, t-shirts (both long & short sleeves), hiking shoes, a Gortex windbreaker with a hood, lightweight fleece, a hat and gloves as my staples. By layering, I was plenty warm even while cruising Glacier Bay and on an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier. I also took a pair of dress pants, a couple of nice tops and a cocktail dress for evening, as well a pair of shorts. I wore the shorts while we were in Denali National Park as it was suprisingly warm and I was very glad I had them with me. 

My "can't miss" excursions would be a helicopter trip to Mendall Glacier (you land on the glacier and get to hike about a bit), river rafting in Denali National Park, taking the park bus in to Denail to see the mountain and zip-lining in the Tsongas National Forest but there are hundreds of things to choose from. 

You should check out the Alaska and Royal Caribbean forums on Cruise Critic. They'll give you lots of great info. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

sammijo - if you think your body could tolerate going out on a boat without

getting sea sick, I would recommend the whale watching. Just not sure if late May

is in season for this excursion. I really enjoyed it - even with the rainy weather we had.

We went on the last cruise out for the season in October, so I can't comment on May weather.  I wish you a wonderful, sick free trip.  Hope you post back afterwards and let us know how it went.

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10

I used one of those patches to stave off nausea after an operation and it really worked!