New Contributor

Advice for a trip to Greece and Irland

Ladies, I need any advice for places to visit or things to do in Greece and/or Irland. I greatly appreciate any replies. 

Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice for a trip to Greece and Irland

When we went on our Mediterranean cruise in 2012, we loved Mykonos. It was beautiful, the people were friendly and you could swim in the clear waters. Santorini’s nice, too, but Mykonos is the place I always remember. It’s not in Greece, but Dubrovnik in Serbia is lovely, too. It’s worth a stop if you can swing it.

Esteemed Contributor

LOL - I was going to suggest a cruise for the Greek islands, but since I haven’t taken mine yet, I held off. (PS to @Eileen in Virginia, happy to hear you liked Mykonos so much; was a little bummed my particular itinerary didn’t stop in Santorini, so good to see.)

Not sure if the OP intends on going to both places on one trip or for how long, etc. But, if they have around three weeks, would suggest doing a land trip for 1/2 in Ireland and check out a Greek cruise for the remainder. My cruise leaves from Venice, not sure where others leave from. But, at any rate, you may even be able to add on seeing a bit from another country too!
Trusted Contributor

Went to Ireland, Scotland and London last year.  I didn't care for Dublin, but enjoyed taking the train to Waterford so I could visit their small factory.  I loved Cork and we went to the Blarney Castle and I got to kiss the Blarney stone!  Loved the Shortbread cookies in Cork.  Found a small grocery store/bakery in a mall.

Respected Contributor

Whatever you do, go to Santorini.  It is the most fabulous place on earth.   Eat Greek food.  It gets a bad rap and it is really wonderful.  See the red, black and white beaches.   Visit the historical excavations going on at Akrotiri.  If you like wine, visit the Sigalas winery outside of Oia.   And the Boutari winery although Sigalas is better.  Both are worth a visit though.

In Athens, see the Greek National Museum including their changing of the guards.  Don't miss the Acrolopis and walking and eating in the Plaka.  

If you can, take a Greek ferry to some of the less touristy islands like Milos ( a real gem)Sifnos or Skiathnos.   Crete is also worth a stop if you have time to go that far south.

I've only been to Dublin so can't offer much for Ireland.

Honored Contributor

Ireland ..... West side.....Galway,Cliffs of Mohr, Dingle Peninsula, Killarney.....many beautiful castles....we flew in and out of Dublin so did visit that city too.  Very pretty and friendly country.....hope to go back.

Respected Contributor

I agree- the West coast of Ireland. We enjoyed Dublin too. On our 1st tour our hotel was outside of Dublin and 4 of us took the bus in. We had been told the wrong amount for tickets. They took us in at no cost. Coming back on the bus to our hotel it was dark. The other passengers were locals and let us know when to get off at our stop. We enjoyed a stay in Kinsale on the east coast too. Hoping for one more trip back.

Trusted Contributor

@Happyp,

Love Greece however the best months to go are March, June and September for the Peninsula, in the islands it is not that hot but July and August are high season and can be very crowded.

Have always travelled with Princess but done the excursions with a company called taxis by locals, fantastic prices a car with a chauffeur-guide for the 4 of us who knew where to go before the crowds.🌻