Honored Contributor

Hubby and I are thinking about a cruise and one thought is to select an adults only cruise.  For anybody that's been on one....what differences did you notice about the cruise other than the fact that there were no children?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

My sister and I went on a regular cruise in February one year and didn't see a single child.  I think if you go when school is in session, children are not an issue.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the previous post.  We were on a cruise two weeks ago and there were only a few children on board.  They said the week before there were only 5 children on the ship.  We were on a mid-size (2300 passenger) ship.  I think a lot of families choose the mega ships (6000+ passengers) because of how many activities there are for children.

Esteemed Contributor

We have taken many cruises but most were "shoulder season" or "off season"; children are few and far between in this type of cruise.  Avoid cruising over Christmas, Easter or Summer: problem solved!

Honored Contributor

What everyone already fonted.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor
The Disney cruises seem to have cornered the market on families who take their kids with them. I don’t recall even seeing any kids on the last cruise we were on, Royal Caribbean. Another line has an activity director for kids and they are pretty much kept in one area of the ship, so no issues. I can’t think of anything an adults-only cruise might offer other than xrated stuff...😬
Esteemed Contributor

Another way to avoid most kids on a cruise is to either have dinner at second seating or eat in one of their specialty restaurants ( Some don't allow kids under age 12).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adults Only Cruise

[ Edited ]

In addition to what’s been said, many of the larger big-box ships have adult only sections. Plus, arguably, some cruise lines seem to attract certain people (For example, Holland America stereotypically has an older crowd with a schedule that supposedly ends early in the night.) From what I’ve read, longer cruises also usually have less kids (assuming you are looking outside the summer schedule.)

But, I would assume that one adult only line would be different from another. The only one I’m aware of Virgin Voyages, and they seem to be advertising to millennials (looks like they haven't had their first voyage yet, but a quick cruise critic peek shows older people who are "young at heart" excited to go.  The line apparently has a drag lunch, tattoo parlor and many exercise options.) Other adult only lines I’m aware are river boats, and that’s an entirely different animal.

What specifically are you looking for? Big cruise ship (2,500+ people) vs river boat? Are you looking to go to bed early or stay up late drinking and dancing? Are you expecting broadway style shows? It’s probably difficult to comment generically because each brand may be different.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego, I'm not looking for anything in particular other than suggestions for a cruise for my hubby and myself, age 72 to a warm place.  We haven't taken a cruise in years (only one cruise) but there were a few children on it.  

We're not seasoned travelers (mainly due to my motion sickness) but I'm trying to do a few travels while we can.  We used to go to Sandals Resort every year for our anniversary which was adults only and we loved it.  

No, I don't mean x-rated, lol, just no little ones running around to make you almost break your neck coming out of nowhere all of a sudden.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Agree with previous posters.  We have been on almost 2 dozen cruises, mostly on Holland America.  If there were children on board, they certainly did not cause any issues.  There are some cruise lines (I think Viking that now does ocean cruises in addition to river cruises) that have a minimum age of 18.  Time of year, size of ship and destinations are a few things to take into consideration.