Esteemed Contributor

I'll be in the Phoenix area next week, travelling from VA, where we are having temps in the '40s during the day and below freezing at night.  How's the weather over there right now, and what are you wearing?

I'm getting ready to pack for a short trip (one suitcase).  Thanks!😎

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

weather channel dot com

Esteemed Contributor

Re: AZ - What To Wear

[ Edited ]

It’s beautiful right now. Highs in the high 60’s low 70’s. I think the lows will be in the 40’s and 50’s. Great weather. No need for a coat. Sweatshirt,light jacket will be enough. Jeans, cute boots and long or short sleeved shirts will be fine. No fancy duds either. Dress for comfort, we are very casual out here, even in restaurants, theaters etc. No one dresses up for much of anything. Jeans, khakis, sneakers, boots, sweatshirts, tee shirts are the normal. 

Respected Contributor

Have a wonderful visit. It’s easy to spot visitors here in the Winter. They are in shorts and tee shirts while we are wearing boots and sweaters😎

Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Have a wonderful visit. It’s easy to spot visitors here in the Winter. They are in shorts and tee shirts while we are wearing boots and sweaters😎

Your so right. Once it gets below 70 it’s time to bring out the long pants and sweaters because it won’t be long before it’s shorts, sandals and tee shirt time again so we have to enjoy every minute of the cold weather.

Respected Contributor

Yes...anything goes here in the desert , locals are dressed warm, some even in heavy coats, and snowbirds in shorts

and tees !

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no!  I do not want to look like a tourist!!!  I need the lowdown from you "locals".  The vibe.

Thanks for the tips, @Azcowgirl@Meowingkitty@tucsongal.  No shorts or tank tops!  I see that is cool in the evening and even if it gets to 70 during the day, that's pretty darn cool compared to the summer.  I picture some light layers and long pants.

I was there in February and even though it was very nice, it was on the cool side even for this east coaster.  I was glad I had a Barefoot Dreams poncho.

I do find the people in Arizona to be generally friendly and laid back.  Thanks again!

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

High for Monday is supposed to be 67 and the rest of the week is like that.  That means I'll be getting out lightweight sweaters and jackets.  It does get chilly when the sun sets.  There's little cloud cover so it definitely cools down at night.  And whoever wrote that the locals will be dressed far warmer than tourists is right.   It's also time to get out the long pants.  The crops and capris are done until March. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I'll be in the Phoenix area next week, travelling from VA, where we are having temps in the '40s during the day and below freezing at night.  How's the weather over there right now, and what are you wearing?

I'm getting ready to pack for a short trip (one suitcase).  Thanks!😎

This time of year is a little tricky. The temps for this week are highs  from 70  to high 60's during the day and then in the 50's to high 40's at night. November always seems to be when we have our big weather change. We have no fall here. One day it is in the high seventies and the next day it drops 10 degrees and it is the beginning of winter, not to say it won't go back up to the eighties at the beginning of December or snow (lightly and then melt immediately). The secret is layers, so definitely bring the Barefoot Dreams poncho.  Don't bring heavy sweaters, especially if you are a person who is mostly warm. Your blood will be thicker than ours since you are from a cold climate - that's why the winter visitors wear shorts in the winter. The other ladies are correct - we are pretty casual most of the time and we joke about the tourists wearing shorts in the winter. Have a great time!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I was grocery shopping this morning in the Phoenix area. It was 54 out at 9. I wore jeans a long sleeved shirt and a barefoot dreams sweater, boot and socks. I am a winter visitor and all of my hot weather clothes are packed away. And yes there were people i shots, sandals and tank tops.  

All the advice given here here is excellent. Next week will be in the low 70s for highs and 40s for night.