Esteemed Contributor

Re: AIRPLANE EAR PAIN

[ Edited ]

@pprmntstx  I had terrible ear pain because I had a cold. When descending from Europe to New York it was so bad I couldn't hear! 
 Since then I haven't had a problem but  I purchased "earplanes" they are earplugs that release pressure.

Valued Contributor

@pprmntstx  I have terrible ear pain when landing and then my ears are clogged for hours afterward. My hearing is impaired as if I am underwater or in a tunnel.It is extremely uncomfortable and always ruins first day of trip. 

I have taken a decongestant days before, chewing gum, drink water, swallow, and have used the cups around my ears.I have googled and  I have asked an ENT dr. 

I usually fly to NYC from Fort Lauderdale and return. Sometimes it is worse than other times. My May trip was canceled. So no pain until we start flying again.

I hope you find something that works. If so, let me know.

Contributor

"Earplanes" (ear plugs) are the only thing that prevents my extreme ear pain.  You can 

get them at Walgreens and they can also be used more than once.  Just put them in your ears before take off, take them out when you reach about 37,000 ft. altitude, then about a half hour before decending to land, put them back in your ears.  They are the best!  No other meds necessary.    

Valued Contributor

@Flying Dove  Thanks. I will try that. But sadly,I don't think it will be anytime soon. 

Valued Contributor

@ZaimeeI, too, will try Earplane.  Thank you all for your suggestions!

Esteemed Contributor

I have terrible ear pain mostly when the plane is starting to descent.   I too have always chewed gum and drank water as others have said.  It is the swallowing motion that actually helps.  I imagine sudafed might also help but I haven't done that so far.    I cannot even hear anything for a good 1/2 an hour after landing......

Super Contributor

@pprmntstx I was a flight attendant for many many years- yes Sudafed will help if you have congestion, using a nasal spray on assent and descent might help you- but I would suggest you go see an ENT to make sure you do not have ear tube issues and or sinus issues- chewing gum can also help with the pressure- good luck

Valued Contributor

@arizona babeThank you so much.  I will go to an ENT before the next flight.

Respected Contributor

The condition you are referring to is called barotrauma.  If you experience it chronically, you may want to visit an ENT.  Sometimes pressure equalizing tubes are placed in the ear drum which helps equalize the pressure between the middle and outer ear. 

Esteemed Contributor

My friend has the same problem.  She has tried everything.  The earplane plugs help a bit along with gum chewing, but not enough.  Beyond the pain she can barely hear for a few days after landing.  The last time she flew her hearing was impaired for a week and she went to her doctor.  He didn't offer any helpful suggestions except to wait a bit for her hearing to return, which it did.  She has decided that she cannot fly anymore which is  a shame.  Her future trips will be by train.