Trusted Contributor

My husband and I have been travelling in the southern areas of the eastern part of the country in search for a place to retire - Florida, the Carolina's and most recently Tennessee.  I was a little taken back when he suggested Tennessee but I must say, I was really surprised at how beautiful it was.  The particular area we were very interested in was the suburbs of Chatanooga, about 15 - 20 mins outside of the city.  Although we are from the coast, settling more inland seems to be equally desirable for our needs.  And this area with the vast Tennesse River doesn't necessarily preclude us as being 'landlocked'.  

Anyone from or familiar with the area?  I would love to have your thoughts.  Thank you in advance.

Regular Contributor

Yes, the eastern part of Tennessee is a very pretty part of the state as a whole. Not too knowledgeable about Chattanooga but Signal Mountain is close by (just google zip code 37377) a beautiful area with very nice houses.

One thing for sure the weather can be hot in the summer, but gotta love the mild winters. Oh yes, you get the cold, (occasional snows, and melts away really quickly) but not as bad as others in north, northeast, midwest, etc. get in winter months. Also, even though sales tax is high at 9.75%, property taxes are low, and there is no state income tax.

Trusted Contributor

@Pipsqueak  Thank you so very much for your input.  I will definitely look up the area which you suggest.

Yes, we are aware of the tax situation as that is one of the main criteria when looking.  It must be a 'pension-friendly' state and Tennessee, as well as a few others, definitely meet that point.   Florida for example is also, but I just cannot picture myself living there even for a portion of the year - just never a fan.

Thank you again. Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

Suggest you might look into Wilmington.NC. Good restaurants, great medical facilities, friendly people and a wonderful place to retire.

Trusted Contributor

@Berlybaby wrote:

Suggest you might look into Wilmington.NC. Good restaurants, great medical facilities, friendly people and a wonderful place to retire.

That's a great idea! Spent many summers there as a child and have such fond memories. Also, not too far from the Raleigh Durham area and the SC coast if anyone wanted to take a "field trip"! 

Super Contributor

Hi @fitfuninformed!  I'm also interested in this area of TN, and also looking at the "pension firendly" states, although if I fell in love with another area I'd certainly consider it for my retirement as well Smiley Happy  Hope you get some more replies on this topic, maybe even from people who live there now.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Trusted Contributor

@DukeBlueNan  Thank you for your suggestion, but we actually had purchased land in Wilmington about 15 years ago and my husband I decided to sell as it has "developed" a little too much for our liking.  Lovely area though, I agree.  

Trusted Contributor

@Catlady Nicole  Thank you for your reply.  I too hope to hear from others that live in or near as well!  

BTW - my daughter's name is Nicole Smiley Happy