Super Contributor

1st TIME at DISNEYWORLD. OVERWHELMED

Going to DISNEY WORLD END OF JAN for a week. 

‘What should I expect? How long are lines? I’m staying at the ART OF IMAGINATION HOTEL.  I have a bad back and IBS. Do they have anything for disabled people like not waiting in long lines? Thinking of renting a scooter. 

‘’Thank you!!!! I’m going with my husband and two children.

Honored Contributor

Re: 1st TIME at DISNEYWORLD. OVERWHELMED

If you have limited mobility, I think renting a scooter is an excellent idea.  I've done it, not at Disney, and the scooter made all the difference in my enjoyment of the trip.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

The last time I was at Disney was about 15 years ago and the friend we were with was in a wheelchair. It was wait in line like everyone else as it should be. Except for it's a small world because of the way the set up is.
Valued Contributor

I just looked at their website and they are very accomodating! Have a look, I think you will have a great time! This is just one of the items covered. The new Disability Access Service (DAS) will allow Guests with disabilities at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort to receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. Guests Relations at the front of each park will continue to assist Guests and provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.
Esteemed Contributor

Rent a scooter from Buena Vista scooters...it is cheaper and they will deliver the scooter to your Resort.

Honored Contributor

TMI

Know where every  bathoom is, wear depends type. Eat your own food. For me first time foods cause me grief.

Super Contributor

We stayed at the Art of Animation Resort, great place. We stayed in a suite that had two bathrooms and a mini kitchen with a microwave and refrigerator and sink. I would try to get snacks, beverages, cereal, etc. off property, it will be cheaper. Call the resort and explain your circumstances, they should be able to provide you with some tips. It can get pretty chilly in January, so just be aware of weather. Go online to get a feel for the parks and what you want to see and do. Make sure that you get a map with a schedule of that day’s events when entering any of the parks. Ask about Fast Pass, too. That helps scheduling things. Also by staying at the resort, you have access to one of the parks either early or later. You can see which ones they are during your stay by looking online at the parks calendar. You probably won’t be able to do everything but you should still have a great time. Even going to the different resorts are entertaining. They have a great bus system and people in wheelchairs are helped by the bus drivers and get on and off first. 

Super Contributor

‘How long are the ride lines in January?

thanks everyone for the tips!!

Super Contributor

They’re probably better than other times of the year. There will still be lines and a wait, especially for popular rides. The good thing is that the shows hold quite a few people so it might seem like a lot of people but most make it inside. January is a pretty good time to go as there usually is less people but there still be some crowds. If you know what  day you’re going to each park, you can schedule a few of your FastPass, which results in less lines. But you can also schedule the day itself, but they might not have any FasPasses available. Call Disney and they should help in answering any of your questions along with their website. 

Respected Contributor

Read all the guides you can. They will have tips for making your trip more enjoyable. You can just search the internet for travel information or get a travel book that covers just Disney secrets and tips. 

You can even review the menus and make reservations ahead of the trip. Know what dinning options are available at your hotel. If you can stock your room with water or snacks that you like. 

When someone says that crowds are smaller that means that your wait for rides and attractions will still be 15-40 minutes. very few times will you be able to just walk up with no wait. If you have a sensitive tummy, learn about dining options in the park not just the walk up fast food places.