Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: 1st TIME at DISNEYWORLD. OVERWHELMED

@Beautiful life wrote:

Going to DISNEY WORLD END OF JAN for a week. 

‘What should I expect? How long are lines? I’m staying at the ART OF IMAGINATION HOTEL.  I have a bad back and IBS. Do they have anything for disabled people like not waiting in long lines? Thinking of renting a scooter. 

‘’Thank you!!!! I’m going with my husband and two children.

HUGE Disney fan.  Been many, many times.  Got married there and we're DVC (Disney Vacation Club Members).  WDW is always most crowded during the holidays and when kids are out of school.  January tends to be less crowded but keep in mind the water parks are not open and sometimes rides are closed for refurbishment during that time. Disney is very good about food issues (at table services), they always ask about food issues/allergies.  But not at QS (quick service).  Just about all the rides have warnings about riding with high blood pressure, pregancy and bad back.  There are scooters to rent at WDW and many companies outside as well.  Of course the ones outside WDW will be less expensive.  Unfortunutely, long lines go hand in hand with WDW.  There are strategies like EMH (early morning hours and late hours), rope drop and fast pass, especially for the most popular rides like Peter Pan, FOP (Flight of Passage), 7DMT (7 drawf mine train).  Since you're staying on site (which is a huge plus), you can take advantage of the extra hours and FastPass.  Since you're trip is so close, I hope you've choosen your ADR's (advanced dining reservations) and FP (fastpass) selection.  Your ADR window opened at 180 days out, your FP selection is 60 days out.  In order to do FP picks, you must have park passes first.  This can all be done/connected to MDE (my disney experience) and you can see everything on your smartphone.  You need to create a log in/password.  You should of received an email about selecting your magicbands by now.  Making ADR's and FP's are a must if you want a table service meal (especially character meal) and the hard to get rides.  There is a website called the Disboards.com, lots of information there.  Have a magical vacation!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life, we took our grandkids to Disney a few years ago. Prior to the trip I went to Walmart and bought some Disney certified items. A tiara & wand, baseball caps, pjs, watches, etc. Everything was very reasonably priced. Every morning when the kids got up they had a "gift" from Mickey and assorted friends with a note telling them they received this gift because they were so good at the park the day before. Believe me cha-chas are outrageously priced on-site. The only thing I bought there were ears. Just a thought to help you save a few bucks. Enjoy your trip! LuLu

Super Contributor

Disney World can be  overwhelming. Weather can be unpredictable pack for layers. 

Have gone many times and each time is exciting. 

Take a deep breath and enjoy it all

Food is good. Best hot dogs at Casey’s Corner Magic Kingdom

have fu

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been to the park many, many times. What type of mobility aid should depend on how bad your back is. The park is huge and you must stand in line for hours. If I were going now, since I just can’t stand for long periods, I’d be trying to rent an electric wheelchair. An ECV would be another possibility.I’d definitely call the number I provide first. I’ve been to the park in all seasons of the year and in all weather types. I’ve been there when I was young and healthy and when my back was not the best. I live in a Florida.  Now my back would be a major consideration. As for your IBS, Disney has maps of the park which include bathroom locations. I have had to wait to use the bathrooms during many of my visits. Sometimes the wait has been long. 

FROM DIsney’s site:

ECV Rentals

If Guests require assistance, Electric Conveyance Vehicles are available for rent at all Walt Disney World theme and water parks as well as Disney Springs.

For more information, please contact Disability Services at  407) 560-2547.

Price

Walt Disney World Theme Parks

• Daily: $50
  • A refundable $20 deposit is required at this location
Walt Disney World Water Parks and Disney Springs
  • Daily: $50
  • A refundable $100 deposit is required at this location

Daily Rentals are transferable between all locations. You pay just once for the day.

Length of Stay Rentals are not available for ECVs. However, vehicles can be held if Guests leave and return to the same park on the same day.

When Leaving Your Location
ECVs may not be removed from the destination where they were rented. When exiting your location, simply return your ECV to the rental counter to receive your deposit. If you’re at Disney Springs, your deposit will be returned at this time. If leaving one theme park and visiting another, present your rental receipt with your deposit to secure another ECV, if available.

Know Before You Go

• ECVs are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Reservations are not accepted, and quantities are limited. Please plan to arrive early.
  • Guests must be 18 years of age to rent ECVs. A photo ID is required.
  • The maximum weight is 450 pounds. ECVs are not designed to hold more than one person.
  • You are welcome to bring and use your own ECV throughout Walt Disney World Resort are also available for rent throughout Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney Featured Providers
In addition to the locations listed here, several Orlando-area companies also offer ECVs, wheelchairs, and other mobility products for rent. Pre-orders and deliveries to Disney Resort hotels are available through these providers, which include:

• Buena Vista Scooter Rentals (866)484-4797
  • Best Price Scooters and Strollers (866)-3434
  • Apple Scooter (800) 701-1972
  • ScooterBug (800) 726-8284
Trusted Contributor

I found getting a good guidebook was very helpful when we went to Disneyworld.

The best tip I found in the guidebook was:  "when you have a choice of going left or right in a line, always go left.  Most people are right handed, and they instinctively go right.  The right hand lines are always longer."  We tried this tip out and it was true!

Occasional Contributor

I would recommend binge watching Disney Food Blogs on You Tube.  She has so many recommendations and tons of videos about what to do and what not to do.  Also, she talks about food and hotels, transportation etc...