Honored Contributor

15 Things Flight Attendants Hate About You

At first when I saw the title of this article on The Active Times website, written by my favorite travel writer, Hristina Byrnes, 4/28/17, I thought I wouldn't like the article. Seemed a bit harsh to use the word "hate." But found its somewhat familiar information to be interesting. Doesn't hurt to be reminded of these things. Photos are courtesy of Shutterstock and iStock.

Flight attendants are not the passengers' servants. They are there to help travelers, but their job description is much longer than this one task.  Crew members can take a lot from passengers, but there are just certain things that may drive your flight attendant crazy. These are some examples as told by flight attendants with over 14+ years of experience.

15 Things Flight Attendant's Hate About You.jpg

GALLEY YOGA

“We realize that the standard airplane seat is definitely not designed for comfort as you are extremely cramped in these tiny airplane seats for hours, but we do ask this: Please do not invade our space in the galley to do stretches/exercises or what we call ‘Galley Yoga’ when you need to get up and stretch your legs,” Lia Volpe, flight attendant and owner of Flight Attendant Prep Academy, says. “We are trying our very best to complete the beverage service for 100+ passengers or more on the flight. Don’t do the Downward Dog pose on the kitchen area floor. “I have had actual passengers stretch on the airplane floor with their head touching the filthy surface. If you knew what was on the airplane floors, you would never do a yoga pose on the plane again.”

Airplane Yoga.png

NOT A “HOOK UP” SPOT

“Compliments are nice, and who doesn’t like a nice compliment here or there, but getting picked up on while you are working is neither flattering nor going to help upgrade you to First Class,” Volpe says. “I once had a passenger put his business card on my beverage cart as I was passing by so that I would be able to contact him when we landed. We probably have worked 4 to 5 flights that day and have been on our feet for hours. We are exhausted and tired. All we are looking for at the end of the day is a nice shower and comfortable hotel bed – not a date.”

Not a Hook Up Spot.jpg

IT’S YOUR JOB!

Kindness can go a long way so they always notice when you come on board and are mean to the crew members. For example, there may be a full flight where the overhead bins will fill up rather quickly and that forces the later boarding passengers to check their bags. “However, coming on board and demanding us to find a place for your bag, shoving it towards us stating ‘it’s your job’ will not sit well with your flight attendant, Volpe says. “Little did you know that we could have gate checked your bag to be picked up plane side, but instead we are going to check it to your final destination and bring you a tag.”

It's your Job!.jpg

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE?

Flight attendants realize that you have important people to talk to, but when they tell you to turn off all electronics, discontinue your phone calls and put your cell phone on airplane mode, you should do it. “We can see you hiding it from us as we pass through the cabin with our final compliance check. This is especially targeted for the Exit Row passengers. They cannot take-off until the Exit Row is briefed, Volpe says. “I once had to wait for a passenger to finish his 5-minute conversation on the phone before I could start my exit row briefing announcement. This announcement is required before the main cabin door can be closed and performed on every flight.” Have some respect.

May I Have Your Attention Please_.jpg

THIS IS NOT A TRASH CAN

Flight attendants come down the aisle more than a few times asking for trash. “So when we find trash in the seat pockets, it frustrates us more than anything,” Volpe says. Leaving parting gifts such as chewing gum, banana peels, wet tissues, and things that do not belong in the seat pocket is always irritating.” Take these items out of your seat pocket in front of you and kindly throw it in the trash bag as crew members pass through the cabin.

This is Not a Trash Can.jpg

THE HOKEY POKEY

“We do not appreciate getting poked or touched while we are walking down the aisle when you need our attention,” Volpe says. “We have pretty good hearing and if you call us, we will be able to assist you with your request. Everyone has personal space issues and we understand that we are in tight quarters, so use your words, not your hands.”

The Hokey Pokey.jpg

DO NOT TOUCH THAT BUTTON

Please reserve the urge to push the Flight Attendant Call Button unless it pertains to immediate assistance or safety related issues. Questions such as “When do we land?," “What’s the weather like?," “How much longer?” or “Am I going to make my connection?” are not appropriate for that button to be pressed, Volpe says.

Do Not Touch That Button.jpg

THE GUESSING GAME

They only have a limited amount of time to serve over 100+ passengers on a flight, so when they come and ask you for your drink order, please do not ask them “What do you have?” Volpe says. Everything is listed on your in-flight brochure, which is located in the seat pocket in front of you. “We will gladly tell you a few drinks on the list, but be proactive and review your options which will make every flight enjoyable. 

The Guessing Game.jpg

THE BLAME GAME

“We are extremely sorry that we are on a current delay or that you are not going to make your connecting flight, but please do not take it out on us,” Volpe says. “We have no control over the weather or mechanical delays, so being rude to us or taking your anger out on us will not help the situation overall.”

The Blame Game.jpg

DID YOU TAKE A BATH TODAY?

Passengers need to remember that they and the crew are in a confined space with circulated air for hours. “So when you have been sweating and smell of body odor, we can tell immediately in the cabin,” Volpe says. Flight attendants are taught to always make sure their hygiene is taken care of and to always look, smell, and be their best. Why can’t you do the same? “I once had a passenger smell so bad that you could overhear other passengers starting to complain, plug their nose, and ask if they could be moved to a different part of the airplane,” Volpe says.

Did You Take a Bath Today_.jpg

THE TORTOISE

Everybody has had a tight connecting flight, but be courteous and show some urgency if you are one of the last to board the flight. Flight attendants are not paid until the Main Cabin door is closed. “If you know that the flight is waiting on you, please show haste, as dawdling makes everyone upset, and the easiest targets to pass off pent-up frustrations fall on your friendly flight attendants," Dominic Brisson, an American Eagle Flight Attendant with over 14 years up in the air and a Flight Attendant Prep Academy Instructor, says.

The Tortoise.jpg

UPGRADE ME?

“I hate when they ask us to upgrade them to First Class after they board the plane,"  Brisson says. Many don't realize there is a strict airline policy against giving a First Class seat away unless it's under the discretion of the gate agent or the pilot in command for weight and balance purposes. It's unfair to passengers who have paid extra to sit there and then complain to the airline company about giving it away for free, he adds. “We can get into a lot trouble for upgrading passengers if not approved. Only Customer Service Agents are qualified to upgrade passengers.”

Upgrade Me_.jpg

EXTRA CLOSET SPACE

Brisson says that he hates when passengers come onboard asking "Is there a closet where you can put my bag?" Most airlines, especially Regional Express Carriers, don't contain closets for passenger bags. The Federal Aviation Administration prohibits passenger luggage in a designated space for crew members. “That's why we have overhead compartments or storage for underneath the seat in front of you. Per FAA, it is illegal to leave baggage lying around and not stored safely.”

Extra Closet Space.jpg

BENDING THE RULES

"Many passengers we come across don't realize that we have strict policies and procedures to follow on every flight,” Brisson says. “As crew members, we don't make our own rules, we just enforce them.” For example, items such as pillows, blankets, first class snacks and fresh meals, by strict company policy, are for first class passengers only. “Passengers are always testing us to see if we can break the rules for them, but it might end up costing us our job.”

Bending the Rules.jpg

SNAPPING FOR THEIR ATTENTION

Flight attendants are not your personal servers; you are not at a restaurant, you’re on a plane, and they are there to make sure you have a comfortable flight, not wait on you hand and foot. Don’t be rude and snap your fingers to get their attention. Simply wait for them to come through the isle and politely address any questions or concerns.

Snapping for Their Attention.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: 15 Things Flight Attendants Hate About You

I have about 100 reasons why I dislike flying.

Starts with TSA, ends with Flight Attendants

I prefer the train.

Respected Contributor

Flight attendants (remember when they were Stewardesses?) are the least of the issues with flying. The bottom line is where else can you get on a big metal tube with seats in one place and 3 hours later or so be in another place hundreds of miles away? Of course you can't.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Re:  THE GUESSING GAME

"Everything is listed on your in-flight brochure, which is located in the seat pocket in front of you. “We will gladly tell you a few drinks on the list,"

This is news to me!  The "domestic" flights I've flown on, either the food penuts & crackers menu was announced on the loud speaker or they told you what was on the menu as they go down the row offering you "liquids" w/the penuts or crackers.

Come to think of it, I've never anyone pull a menu from the seat pocket.  Not even in first class!  Well, that's a horse of a different color.  They do serve "rabbit food (salads)."

Now international flights, that is a whole different ball game.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Agree 100% with all of this . . . BUT, I also think that air travel is so horrible that it brings out the worse in all us.  We are confused, delayed, cramped, herded, queued up, and bossed around.  Airlines must take some responsibility when their customers are so fatigued they act out.  If they want us to act civally, they should teat us civally.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

That is funny........I fly often and find that they couldn't make flying more uncomfortable than it is.   I also find the flight attendants are usually miserable.  I realize they put up with a lot of grief but for travelers like me and my husband who never complain and never ask them for anything, we just grin and bear it..........you cannot even get a smile out of most of them.  They have to remember, we are also putting up with grief by just being on your stupid plane!!!! (and not to mention, paying your salary).

Valued Contributor

As with any public service job, it also calls for professionalism.  Being a nurse and having worked in banking, you can set a felling of understanding and limits.  I sit in my tight seat, no desire to interact with the attendants and watch their interaction.  It is not pleasant and not helpful.  They should try another line of work and I think they would be surprised.

Honored Contributor

Most of these complaints are based on rude behavior and shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.    When you choose a job where you have to deal with the public, you really have to have thick skin.    People can be rude.

I've worked retail, no comparison but I've seen all kinds of inappropriate behavior.

@World Traveler

Respected Contributor

Zero - 000000000.......sympathy for flight attendants. Yes the job is HORRIBLE, but so is the service. Crowded flights, crabbly agents & attendants, dirty seats, trays, bathrooms etc. Change the system so that the public likes flying vs. hates it!!! United has the worst flight attendants!!!

Respected Contributor

The attitude of flight attendants has changed dramatically in the last 15 years.  It has gone from a job of making the customer comfortable, welcome, valued, seated in a safe and clean atmosphere by an attractive young smiling person to something totally different.

They do the minimal requirements, non smiling, no please or thank you, little regard for comfort,  all on dirty planes.  Many middle age attendants who don't have the same level of job satisfaction.  As a result everyone unhappy - customers and employees.

There is a store in Ct. called Stew Leonard's.  They have a stone tablet at the front of their store  that has the Ten Commandments of their business.  #1. The customer is always right.  #10. If you believe the customer is wrong, refer to #1.  Not a direct quote, but you get the idea.