Honored Contributor

14 Vacation Items You'll Almost Always Regret Packing

Juliana LaBianca posted her 14 Vacation Items You’ll Almost Always Regret Packing

online this past September. Do you have anything to add to this list of hers?

1. Hardcover books - While you’ll definitely need a beach read, the latest hardcover bestseller will take up valuable space and the weight in your luggage. Download the Kindle version of the book or opt for a lightweight paperback.
  2. Your own hairdryer – Check with the hotel to see if they have one in every room. If they do, consider leaving yours behind. The hotel’s version might not be the one you’re most comfortable with, but it will save an outfit’s worth of space in your bag.
  3. Items you’ve never found useful – Those just-in-case items you pack on every trip but never use (think special travel wallets, overdone first-aid kits, and odd technology). Leave them behind this time, especially if they’re the type of thing you can buy at your destination.
  4. Liquids in faulty packaging – Make sure the lid on every liquid is closed tightly and package each one in a Ziploc bag. The TSA allows one quart-sized clear plastic bag per passenger.
  5. Overlap with your travel partner – Whether you’re going on a girl’s weekend with old college friends or a vacation with your spouse, cross-check your packing lists to ensure there is minimal overlap. You can share toothpaste, sunscreen, and other toiletries.
  6. Anything irreplaceable – If you must bring along a family heirloom or other invaluable item, stash it in your carry-on.
  7. Too much workout gear – Be honest….do you really need five pairs of sweat socks so you can go on a 5am job each morning? While it is admirable, if you’ve never worked out on a vacation before, don’t go overboard. Bring along enough athletic outfits for a hike or other adventure, and leave the rest of your gear at home.
  8. Your entire medicine cabinet – Obviously, all of your essential prescriptions will be making the trip. But aside from those, stash a small bag of ibuprofen or aspirin in your handbag and rest assured that the place you’re visiting will have a drug store or pharmacy.
  9. Anything that is not on your packing list – Make a packing list and stick to it. Your list should take into consideration the weather, your itinerary, and any possible overlap with your travel buddies. And bring that list with you on the trip; it can act as a packing checklist on the morning of your flight home.
  10. More than two bathing suits – For most trips, two is enough. One can dry while you wear the other. To clean a suit without a washing machine, fill your hotel sink with warm water and add a splash of mild hand soap. Swish the bathing suit around and allow it to air dry.
  11. Anything that might not make it past the TSA – Although you might have noticed that some of your prohibited items (such as large aerosols or body washes) have made it past airport security before, don’t count on it. The TSA has a ban on containers that are larger than 3.4 ounces. Check their website for a complete list of prohibited items.
  12. The formal outfit you might wear – Consider your itinerary carefully. If you don’t have any formal events, then you most likely won’t need formal wear. Same thing goes for stiletto heels and string of pearls. If there’s an event where you’ll need these items, you’ll most likely know about it in advance.
  13. A sun hat you don’t have space to pack properly – Don’t risk breaking your sun hat. To pack it safely, try this: Fold a shirt and push it into the crown of your hat. Next, pack your heavy clothing, including denim and shoes, into the bottom of your suitcase. Lay your hat on top of these items and pack your folded lighter items around it. When you are finished, all you should see of your hat is the very top.
  14. Anything mismatched – Pack your clothes in outfits, and if you can, aim to match them around a certain color scheme. For example, pack all tan accessories: tan shoes, tan bag, and a tan belt.
Trusted Contributor

Re: 14 Vacation Items You'll Almost Always Regret Packing

I think that list is pretty solid.

After watching Rick Steves for so many years I've become a carry-on bag only disciple. It's not necessary to pack several pairs of socks and underwear - you can wash the dirties in the sink and hang them to dry overnight. If they're still damp I'll put them in my car or other sunny spot to finish drying.

I don't like to carry fat books either but I do like to carry a guide book if I'm traveling outside the US. I'll rip the pages out as I need them and then trash them when I'm done.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if mine falls under the medicine cabinet category.  I always pack things like masks, deep conditioners, etc.  Things I don't get to do at home, but am positive I'll have plenty of time on vacation.  Sadly they all come home unused.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow! Thank you so much. I tend to "over pack" have mimimized the amount of unnecessary items however there is always room for improvement🌻

Trusted Contributor

Too much make-up!  

Honored Contributor

Anyone with the sense of a goose would know to leave most of that stuff at home without an expert telling her to do it.  Most definitely take simple first aid supplies like band-aids, antiseptic ointment, med for stomach upsets, sunburn, the usual things you get on a trip. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Too many clothes....I've limited myself to carry-on and it has taught me an invaluable lesson.

Honored Contributor

When traveling outside the US, I don't bring any electric items (hair dryer, flat iron, etc). I just buy a cheap one there for my stay (if the hotel doesn't provide one).

I bring ONLY sample sizes of all skincare, soap, body and hair products. Good thing is, I come home with LESS beauty products because I'm throwing away the packaging once they're used up.

I bring 3 pairs of undies: one to wear, one to wash, one as backup.

I wear one set of bottoms, a jacket/cardigan and main walking shoes. I pack another bottom, 3 tops and another lightweight coverup plus dressy flats if needed. My goal is to wear the bulk of my clothes that I'll use on the trip; same with jewelry- I wear the same items the entire time. 

I buy 2 books: one for the flight there and one for the flight back and only buy paperbacks. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since my TSA quart bag is always stuffed full, if I know that I will be able to go to a drug store or grocery store once I arrive at my destination then I'll buy some of my toiletries when I arrive such as toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.  to save space. Of course that doesn't always work out. 

Honored Contributor

I never regret packing my medicine cabinet.  LOL  If I have a rental car, I don't take as much, but you only have to pay for a cab back and forth to CVS once for something the hotel doesn't have to never leave home without it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN