Honored Contributor

13 Things Most Likely to Get You Flagged by the TSA

[ Edited ]

On January 30, 2018, Lindsay Tiger wrote this article for Reader's Digest online. The photos are courtesy of Shutterstock.

First Up, Why do we have the TSA_.jpg

First Up, Why Do We Have the TSA?

You already know that TSA stands for Transportation Security Administration, but apart from the obvious--checking for off-limit items--do you know what role they play in the travel industry? Philip Farina, CPP, a safety and security advisor at Farina and Associates, LTD., explains, "While transportation systems are vast, the bulk of TSA's efforts are focused on aviation. They accomplish their mission using a combination of well-train technicians who are skilled in customer service, communications, and document fraud, access-control devices, such as scanners, signage, metal detectors, CCTV, X-ray machines and chemical/vapor sensing devices, and finally a set of processes and procedures that allows engagement with customers while providing increased levels of security." In other words, they're always on the lookout to make sure you get from point A to point B without a scratch or in any danger. 

Red Flag #1- Talking About Weapons.jpg

Red Flag #1: Talking About Weapons

You might think it's A-okay to be chatty with an officer, or you think you're just being friendly, but asking any questions related to weapons, firearms, explosives, or other dangerous, prohibited items puts you on the TSA's radar. "While we do have freedom of speech in the United States, any mention of these items while in the airport or security lines can get you pulled and questioned," Farina says.

Red Flat #2- Flying with coffee.jpg

Red Flag #2: Traveling with Coffee

Some people lug back shot glasses, others magnets or keychains; but if your token souvenir from your travels is a lot of java, travel editor and associate manager at hotwire.com, Geena Marcelia, says your coffee addiction could make you a target for TSA. "Apparently, the strong smell of coffee is also used to mask the smell of some illegal substances. I've almost always had my bags searched, both checked and carry-on, when bringing back coffee," she says.

Not Taking Out all Liquids.jpg

Red Flag #3: Not Taking Out All Liquids

By now you know the 3.4 ounce (or 100 milliliters) rule for bringing liquids on airplanes post 9/11. And most liquids are obvious--shampoo, lotion, mouthwash. But there may be random items buried at the bottom of your purse that you forget about until TSA is holding them up, demanding an answer. Travel journalist Maggie Espinosa says this happened to her on the way back from a trip to Guatemala. She forgot antibacterial gel she purchased at the Antigua Choco Museum. Though the TSA agent let her pour out a bit to get it under the limit, others may ask you to discard your toiletry completely. If that happens, just go with it and follow the rules.

Trying to Game the System.jpg

Red Flag #4: Trying to Game the System

There are some parts of getting on an airplane that seems ridiculous. Why are they worried about your gold earrings? Or does it really matter if your laptop is out of your bag? Even if you don't understand why the rules are in place, just follow them, says Stephen Lloyd, former Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Air Traffic Organization (ATO) Director of Safety and current president of SJL and Associates. "People will try to push the limits of what is allowed and actually game the system," he says. "There are travelers who will see what they can get away with. If you are trying to see what you can get away with, the penalties can be severe, including imprisonment."

Not checking your kid's luggage.jpg

Red Flag #5: Not Checking Your Kid's Baggage

Though you might be trying to encourage your budding jet-setter to pack his or her own carry-on full of crayons and snacks before boarding a flight with you to grandma's, Corrine McDermott (world traveler and founder of havebabywilltravel.com) suggests giving a quick inspection to the backpack before the TSA has a look. "Things like craft scissors and toy guns, no matter how harmless, might get flagged and confiscated," she adds.

Having any type of unusual item.jpg

Red Flag #6: Having Any Type of Unusual Item

So you bought a handmade harmonica for your nephew or a candle holder made out of a gourd. Though totally fine to bring home, managing partner and editor at Airline Weekly, Seth Kaplan, says to be prepared to answer for your possession. "Unusual items, even if they're perfectly legal and safe, can get their attention," he says. "For example, I used to travel with a long-arm stapler to staple newsletters on the road. That's just not something the agents see every day, so it would almost always get flagged. After a while, I learned that when I saw the agent squinting at the screen and trying to figure out what it was, if I would tell them what it was, about half the time they were comfortable confirming it without opening my bag. Other times, they did want to open the bag, which I understood."

Getting out of line.jpg

Red Flag #7: Getting Out of Line

Once you pull out your boarding pass and your identification, it takes you a hot second to navigate where you're supposed to go--the shortest line? The closest one? If a TSA agent directs you to an area, Farina advises going there and staying put, no matter what. "Do not attempt to switch your line, which may include a full-body scanner to a pre-check line with only metal detectors," he adds.

Carrying a lot of cash.jpg

Red Flag #8: Carrying a Lot of Cash

Before you go on a trip, especially one that cruises over international waters, it's not unusual to want to exchange your dollars for the new currency before leaving U.S. land for the best rate. Though a travel agent would recommend that so you can save some hard-earned moolah, Farina warns that carrying anything in bulk, from cash to precious metals, can make you a target. "Be prepared to explain where these items came from and why you have it and/or are traveling with it," he advises.

Letting your stress show.jpg

Red Flag #9: Letting Your Stress Show

We've all been there--you woke up late, got stuck in traffic, forgot to check-in the night before, and now you're scrambling to make it to your gate before they close the cabin door. While undeniably a stressful process, Farina says keeping your calm is important for the TSA to trust that you're a, well, sane human. This means never taking your frustration out on other travelers, and especially not airport personnel. "No matter the reason, always be courteous and respectful to the TSA. Being rude, pushy, or loud, not only to the TSA but also other passengers, may get you plucked from the security lines and questioned or searched," he says. "Realize that the TSA has a very difficult role to perform. In the end, they are there to prevent, to the best of their ability, terrorists and other criminals from entering secure transportation areas so you can have a safe travel experience.

Not having proper identification.jpg

Red Flag #10: Not Having Proper Identification

Think of the last time you visited Europe or went to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. Between the night before and the commute to the airport, how many times did you double (and triple!) check that you had your passport? While it might be a bit of an OCD behavior, Lloyd says making sure you have proof of who you are long before you ever get in line is a solid idea. "TSA is not there to make sure you get on the plane; they are there to make sure you travel safely and not there to harm others," Lloyd says.

Not having proof for your medicine.jpg

Red Flag #11: Not Having Proof for Your Medicine

Are you allowed to travel with medicine in your carry-on bag? Yep. But for some medications, do you need a note from your doctor? You could. That's why McDermott says it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to prescriptions that you need to stay healthy while you're on your trip. After all, who wants to be Samantha in Sex and the City 2 when she can't bring her much-needed menopausal regimen to Abu Dhabi? 

Not complying with rules that vary by country.jpg

Red Flag #12: Not Complying With Rules That Vary By Country

If you're going to have a bucket list of dream destinations, you'll also need to become pretty flexible, not only with flight delays and language barriers, but with following the varying rules of those respective countries. "Regulations vary around the world, and sometimes something that's allowed here will be confiscated elsewhere. A good example is a small cosmetic scissor. TSA allows those, but don't be surprised if screeners in a foreign country confiscate them before your flight back to the U.S.," Kaplan notes. Don't be that person. 

Packing certain types of toothbrushes.jpg

Red Flag #13: Packing Certain Types of Toothbrushes

If you have a Samsung Galaxy Note 7, then you will need to opt for a new phone before boarding a flight. It's been known to explode--yep!--so airlines have banned it from the friendly skies for safety reasons. But did you know that your Sonicare toothbrush could be taken too? According to Marcelia, the spare lithium batteries that come with it have--wait for it--also exploded, so the FAA doesn't allow you to take them into the cabin. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 13 Things Most Likely to Get You Flagged by the TSA

I get teased by my daughters but I always just check my suitcase and bring a large Dooney carry-on with my purse in it.

It's not full by any means.  I keep my medicine with me at all times.

I've never had a problem.  Well, I have set off the alarm when I've gotten out of the wheelchair to walk through the machines but they say go back and when I do it's OK.  

I try to follow the rules very carefully.  I do think it's a joke to make the travelers feel safer because I hear about some of the stuff other people have gotten through the checkers.

My youngest daughter travels a lot.  She's gone to Europe several times and wherever she goes she takes a huge looking duffle bag!  I look at that thing and say, "You can get that on the plane!"  She say, "Yes!  Never had a problem".   

During Thanksgiving I traveled to Colorado.  I sat in the first seat in first class.  I got to see everyone passing by (I was even on the aisle seat!

I was amazed at the luggage people were carrying on that plane!  There were families where mom and dad, everyone had huge bags.  They had these small children pushing large bags down the aisle!  It was crazy.

I know it costs extra money (which I disagree with to some degree) to check luggage (I think it does).  I don't know because my daughters make all of my flying arrangements.  I just show up.

But I think it is inconsiderate for people to bring so much on the plane!  

Perhaps an answer would be for the airlines to charge less to check baggage.  It would make everything go smoother.

However, I think more than the cost, everyone is in such a freaking hurry they don't want to take the time to check and retrieve the luggage.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @World Traveler.  Good to know and think about.

@Annabellethecat66, I'm with you on the things people carry on.  I crammed a purse full, in lieu of using a really great Lug bag recently, because I was explicitly following my airline's carry-on size rules (for economy travel - I checked my suitcase) and I was aghast at what was coming down the aisle!  That Lug would have easily fit under the seat but here I was, trying to be a good doobie.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia It's amazing to see the things people carry on these planes.

It's so inconsiderate to everyone.  It holds up the plane because we all have to wait until room is made.  

I always wonder if the plane is going to be able to take off when I see everything going down the aisle!

@Sweetbay magnolia I'm curious.  Why do you think people do this?  I don't think it's as much a matter of the money, I think it's because people are in such a hurry to get out of the airport.

I don't want to hear people say, "They might have interconnecting flights".  That doesn't happen anywhere near close to the amount of people who cart the stuff down those aisles.

No, I'm convinced they just want to hurry up and get out of the airport. 

People these days seem to think whatever is going on in their life is more important than anything going on anywhere else.  A lot of selfish people around.

Esteemed Contributor

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.

I basically check almost everything making it their problem not mine.  I enter the plane with a tote bag.  Everything that is important to me is in it.  1. ID (tickets) Passport  2. Any meds I need or might need such as aspirin  3. Something to read   4.  My cell phone.  That is it.  When I arrive I get my bags quickly(so far so good) and I am on my way. Of course I only fly SW and the checked bags cost me nothing.  

My hubby has nothing with him.  My tote has extra reading material for him.  His ID is in his pocket.  Often even I pocket it (wearing a vest of sorts).  

We have  TSA Pre Ck and that helps us with the shoe and coat thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know, @Annabellethecat66.  I do tend to think that it could be that people are trying to be frugal.  $25 bucks or so a pop could add up with a family.  Could be that world-revolves-around-me-syndrome that you described, too.

To me, it's much less of a hassle to check my main bag, not drag the thing around until departure (how do you used the john and keep things safe) and not struggle with that overhead bin.  Like @bonnielu says, let it be the airlines' issue to deal with.  I get right off the plane, because I make it clear that I am not horsing around with trying to find my belongings.  I don't find baggage claim to be that big a deal - it's usually near the exit anyway.  

Happy trails!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting. I’m curious about the meds. Maybe we shouldn’t be questioned if meds are in original containers. I also need to get my passport updated to fly now? We haven’t flown in about 3-4 years but we will to NY this fall. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not a frequent flyer, but every time I've gotten on a plane, I've carried on just a medium-sized duffle and my purse.

When preparing to get off the plane, though, It irritates me that I have to wait for so many people seated ahead of me to get down numerous items from the overhead before I can leave. A few times connecting flights have been tight: once I missed my connection and had to wait six more hours.

I believe those who do not have to get anything out of the overhead compartments should be able to leave first.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler et al, good list!  I agree with posters about the excess carryon bags.  I just groan when I see some of the items coming down the aisle!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmomwrote:

@World Traveler et al, good list!  I agree with posters about the excess carryon bags.  I just groan when I see some of the items coming down the aisle!  LM

@Lilysmom.  I know what you mean. I can't be bothered carting a bunch of bags around the airport then on the plane. I bring my purse and a small bag with handles for a book, snack, etc. 

These days they get the luggage off the plane very fast. Years ago it took forever.