Honored Contributor

13 Reasons Why Finland is One of the Most Magical and Enchanting Places on Earth!

[ Edited ]

Finland has been on my Bucket List for years. I've been close to it (spent a short time in Helsinki), but just have not gotten around to seeing the whole country. My interest was renewed when I read this online article by Charlie Campbell for Easyvoyage, 12/8/17. Perhaps it will interest you too. 

Finland.jpg

The Scandinavian country of Finland offers winter sports in abundance, Instagram-worthy landscapes and an all-season magical atmosphere. 100 years ago as of 2017, the nation state of Finland was created and ever since has graced the globe with its gorgeous scenery and equally beautiful culture. So let's see what Finland is all about!

Finland.Enchanting Seasons.jpg

ENCHANTING SEASONS

Arguably one of the most enchanting aspects of Finland is its seasons. Finland is a country of contrasts and extremes, both in terms of its geography and its climate. Visit at different times during the year and you will find the surrounding nature is fascinatingly different from the seasons that have come before. In winter sunlight is rare, with an average six hours of daylight per day. Come summertime the days seem everlasting, as it is the season of the mystical Midnight Sun with bright days and equally bright nights!

Finland.Skiing.jpg 

SKIING

Finland represents the perfect destination for winter sports, especially skiing. There are over one hundred ski resorts up and down the country, and best of all they are all pretty much guaranteed to have snow for the duration of the season. One location in particular that we feel the need to highlight is the Pyhä Ski Resort, which was awarded Ski Resort of the Year 2017 in Finland. Pyhä epitomizes Finnish alpine wilderness, with captivating slopes and pistes to suit every skier's needs.

Finland.Forests and National Parks.jpg 

FORESTS AND NATIONAL PARKS

Finland is home to more forest terrain per square mile than any other European country. An incredible 70% of the country is covered in verdant forests and leafy national parks, such as the breathtaking Koli National Park in Finland's North Karelia region. It is this abundance of greenery that contributes to the country's incredibly clean, pure air. Just one walk through any Finnish forest and the country's inherently special and harmonious relationship with nature will become apparent.

Finland.Islands.jpg 

ISLANDS

Finland has already been given the moniker of "The Land of a Thousand Lakes," but it may as well also be crowned the "Land of a Thousand Islands." The country boasts the world's largest archipelago of at least 70,000 offshore islands, both habited and inhabited. Anyone navigating their way around the southern part of the country is guaranteed a magical sailing experience, the deserted isles and undiscovered coves just waiting to be explored!

Finland.Aurora Borealis.jpg 

AURORA BOREALIS

Finland is well known for its potential Aurora Borealis sightings. The further north you travel, the more likely your chances are of glimpsing the magical Northern Lights. So towns such as Rovaniemi, Utsjoki, and Sodankylä should definitely be on your list. Provided you've got clear dark skies and a little bit of luck on your side, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to glimpse earth's most incredible natural light display.

Finland.Architecture.jpg 

ARCHITECTURE

Finnish architecture is as inspiring and diverse as the country's natural landscape. Here you'll be exposed to both Art Nouveau and Nordic Classicism styles. The country's capital city of Helsinki is home to some incredible architectural feats. One of which is Helsingin Tuomiokirkko, a magnificent neoclassical cathedral located in Senate Square. The majestic white edifice with its dramatic green domes is truly a sight to behold.

Finland.Flora and Fauna.jpg 

FLORA AND FAUNA

Finland is a haven for flora and fauna, with its vast forest regions providing the perfect habitat for an incredible array of wildlife. Bears, wolverines and wolves all frequent the country's dense forests. It is estimated that Finland is home to around 1,500 brown bears and is one of the best European countries for spotting and photographing these majestic mammals in their natural habitats. Any nature lover will be instantaneously captivated by Finland's abundance of wildlife.

Finland.Saunas.jpg 

SAUNAS

Saunas form a key part of Finland's culture which every traveler visiting the Scandi County should experience at least once. The concept is centered on physical, mental, and spiritual relaxation. You will 100% feel more Zen after a relaxing sauna session, that is if you don't follow it by jumping into an ice-cold nearby lake!

Finland.Lapland.jpg 

LAPLAND

The phrase 'winter wonderland' is thrown around often, but rare is it to actually find a destination worthy of this title; Lapland in Finland is the exception. The capital of this subarctic region located just south of the Arctic Circle is called Rovaniemi and is the official home of Father Christmas. Amongst an enchanting atmosphere you'll get to meet huskies, reindeer, and even Santa Claus himself!

Finland.Lakes.jpg 

LAKES

Scattered all across Finland are endless oases of crystal clear water, which have given the country the nickname of the "Land of a Thousand Lakes." The nation boasts just over 180,000 lakes in total, each one as spectacularly beautiful as the next. The expansive Lake Saimaa is one particularly popular tourist hot-spot, as it is home to the Saimaa Ringed Seal; one of the rarest freshwater seals in the world with a dwindling population of only 310.

Finland.Husky Sledding.jpg 

HUSKY SLEDDING

One of the many reasons why we have fallen in love with Finland is because of Husky Sledding. This Scandinavian pastime is a firm favorite amongst visiting tourists and locals alike. Dogsledding promises to be a truly memorable winter adventure experience. Frankly there is nothing quite like being whisked across the arctic wilderness by a team of powerful (but adorable) husky dogs as they bound across the snowy plains of Finland.

Finland.Coffee.jpg 

COFFEE

Coffee may seem like a strange reason to love a country, but let us explain. Perhaps it's the abundance of snug cafés combined with the crisp weather outside, but Finland simply invites the opportunity to sip on a warming beverage. And Finland's drink of choice? Coffee. The Finnish adore caffeine. Collectively, the nation consumes more coffee per capita than anywhere else in the world. So if you're a coffee addict, this is yet another reason to love Finland!

Finland.Helsinki.jpg 

HELSINKI

Helsinki is an incredible capital. One of the best times to visit is at Christmas when the city becomes aglow with sparkling lights and festive spirit. If you're lucky, you'll be met with a sprinkling of snow; but if not, you're still guaranteed a warm and inviting yuletide ambiance. Anyone visiting the capital at this time of year must wander up and down Aleksanterinkatu, Helsinki's official Christmas Street, and keep a special eye out for the unveiling of the legendary Christmas window at the Stockmann department store.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 13 Reasons Why Finland is One of the Most Magical and Enchanting Places on Earth!

Finland is on my list - there’s a nice tour from the same company that did my Zimbabwe trip. It’s not priority, particularly as I was told last year that the Northern Lights wouldn’t be good for a few years (whether or not that’s true, I can’t say.)

At any rate, if they are still doing the tour when I decide to go, I would hopefully be staying in my own luxury igloo. There’s a bed in that glass dome.

B393E126-23C9-42D4-B694-3F9BB54F6FE1.jpeg

I think one of our posters was going to Finland this year.  Of course, I could be wrong and it was some other Nordic country.

Honored Contributor

Re: 13 Reasons Why Finland is One of the Most Magical and Enchanting Places on Earth!

@Alter Ego WOW!! Totally love the igloo. That is where I want to stay. Heart