Esteemed Contributor

Re: 10 Secrets Hotel Employees Won’t Tell You

@q-girl  Sounds like we have a lot in common!  I agree with everything that you said you do in your hotel room.   So funny, I have a small 4 cup coffeemaker that I bring along  (when we are driving to a destination) with cardboard insulated coffee cups!   I actually use one of my old vionic leather pairs of flip flops only to travel and I wash them off with dish soap and water outside with the hose, store them in a plastic bag and ready to go for next time!!  Hugs back at ya!!

Honored Contributor

I used to work in a hotel.

One thing my boss used to make me do is go into the rooms about 15 minutes before he would take a convention client to the rooms to make sure they were clean, etc.

Hotel employees use them all the time.   Not just for the obvious, but to eat lunch, watch tv, have a small party.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I've done a fair amount of travel staying in all kinds of different hotels. My philosophy is I don't tip. This is on the hotel to pay the employees a fair salary & not depend on customers to subsidize their income. 

Valued Contributor

I got the creeps reading this and remembering some of my horrible hotel experiences.

I wanted to add one thing.  I inspect for bed bugs.  We always use the luggage racks for our suitcases.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Regular Contributor

Whenever we travel I always take a tub of Lysol or Clorox wipes with us and the first thing I do is wipe down all surfaces in room,bathroom,the remote and doorknobs.  I send a full carafe of plain water through the in-room coffee pot and wash the filter basket. I have even washed the glasses/mugs in hot water and shampoo before using.  We use the luggage racks also and never lay our clothes on the bed or furniture.  My husband is used to all that but doesn't understand why I need to look behind headboard and under mattress.  Call me crazy but....

Honored Contributor

I use Clorox wipes as well.  I hose the entire place down, starting at the toilet and the tub and then I branch out from there.

The TV remote and the door knobs are the biggest offenders of germs.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler,

Your posts are so informative and true. Furthermore very often the receptionist has told me to check the prices directly with them first. From now on I will🌻

Valued Contributor

I am so jaded anymore. I had sort of this romantic notion about traveling the country staying in Route 66 type motels and enjoying another era. I came across this series on youtube by Dan Bell....Another Dirty Room. It was sickening. I may have to sleep in my car on all future vacations.

Contributor

don't forget to clean light switches, door handles, alarm clock, arms on chairs, basically anything not upholstered gets wiped with antibacterial wipes. also pull back the sheets and look in the seams for signs of bedbugs...

Honored Contributor

gack!😝 -

There is also a site that tells which hotels have bedbugs-something like bed bug registry or something like that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"