Honored Contributor

10 Secrets Hotel Employees Won’t Tell You

I found these tips on Rodale’s Organic Life, online. It was written by Krissy Brady on 11/14/16. Enjoy!

Considering the number of people who regularly stay at hotels—not to mention how many guests have bunked in your room prior—it's only natural to wonder about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that happen at your favorite establishments. And who better to ask than the fabulous desk clerks, housekeepers, and bellhops who can make (or break) your stay? The secrets you're about to learn from these anonymous hotel staffers could mean the difference between scoring freshly laundered bedding—or a bedspread that hasn't been washed since JNCO jeans were a thing. (Kidding. Sort of.) This article was originally published by our partners at Women's Health.

YES, WE KNOW YOU'RE HAVING AN AFFAIR

"And no, we don't care. When you emphasize, er, I mean, casually drop that he's your work husband and you have a big presentation to prepare for, we'll always slap on a smile and pretend you're telling us the truth." –Alicia, a former desk clerk in Washington

YOUR SECRETS ARE SAFE WITH US

"Once when I was working late, I found one of our regulars staggering down the hallway in one of our hotel's bellhop uniforms. I still can't figure out how he managed to get his hands on one, but regardless, a concierge never tells. There's always something fun to smile about in our world." –Josh, a concierge in New Orleans

FOR BETTER RATES, CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY

"Online booking sites are convenient and all, but you stand a better chance at scoring a lower rate if you call the hotel directly. Hotels pay these sites up to a 25 percent commission, so most are able to offer a cheaper rate if you just ask." –Maggie, a desk clerk in New York

BEWARE OF THE MINIBAR

"Check the expiration dates on the snacks in the minibar. I've discovered snacks plenty of times that were months past their expiry. You'll also want to make sure the seals on the bottles of booze haven't been broken. The stories you've likely heard about people peeing in tequila bottles or filling vodka bottles with water to get out of paying for them aren't urban legends." –Jenna, a hotel maid in New York

ALSO, AVOID SITTING DIRECTLY ON SOFAS AND CHAIRS

"Never sit on a couch or chair without laying a towel or sheet down first. Many guests sit on them naked, and yes, some leave stains behind. And much of the time, the stains are basically just dabbed with cleaner until they can't be seen anymore." –Jenna

PLEASE, PLEASE TIP YOUR HOUSEKEEPER

"Hotel maids aren't paid much—typically, minimum wage—so every little bit helps. Make sure you leave the tip under your pillow so they know it's for them. Also, it's best to leave a daily tip if you're staying for more than one night, since you're not necessarily going to have the same housekeeper twice. The general rule of thumb is anywhere between $5 to $20 a day, depending on how many stars the hotel has and how big your room is. (More stars usually means more work for the housekeeper.)" –Jenna

CONSIDER THE DOORMAN YOUR BESTIE

"In the hotel world, the bellman's kind of like the kid who's picked last in gym class.  Meanwhile, we're well connected and can hook you up with whatever you need—free water bottles, tours, reservations, dry cleaning, the works. I've even helped guests upgrade to a better room. Most guests don't realize that tipping us unlocks a world of perks." –Mason, a doorman in New York

THE ROOMS ARE NOT ALL THE SAME

"The staff at the front desk knows which rooms have the best features, such as primo lighting or a bigger TV. How you treat us at check-in seals your fate, and is the defining factor in receiving a room with a great view or one with a mysterious odor." –Maggie, a desk clerk in New York

STEP AWAY FROM THE ICE BUCKET

"Always use the plastic bag that comes with the ice bucket. When a guest needs to throw up but can't make it to the bathroom, guess what they use?" –Jenna

YOUR ROOM PROBABLY ISN'T AS CLEAN AS IT LOOKS

"Here's the thing: housekeepers have a ton of rooms to clean every day, and have to haul ass to get them done between check-out and check-in. This usually means that we have to cut corners to keep up with the demand. Sheets get washed daily, but blankets are usually only washed once a week, while the bedspreads barely ever get washed—maybe once a month, longer if there aren't any obvious stains. When you book a room, requesting a full set of clean linens should do the trick." –Jenna

"The remote is probably the least cleaned item in the room. I'd also steer clear of the drinking glasses, which tend to get their sparkle from furniture polish. Stick to paper cups." –Britt, a former hotel maid in Kansas

Trusted Contributor

Re: 10 Secrets Hotel Employees Won’t Tell You

@World Traveler: Interesting post. Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

Nobody had to tell me any of this. It's a no brainer for me. Even at the more expensive hotels.

I figure they are not washing the sheets after each guest either. It's disgusting. I don't use the blanket or bedspread when I'm sleeping.

That's the reason I don't sleep well in hotels.

I also put the remote control in the ziplock bag. LOL!!! I wear shoes the whole time I'm there.

They should just make empty hotel rooms so you can bring your own blowup mattress & sheets to sleep on. LOL!!!

Super Contributor

I like the hotels that use that little scarf like thingy across the foot of the bed in place of a full bedspread. I always remove those and all decorative pillows and store those away in a closet for the duration of my stay. I also ALWAYS pack a package of antibacterial bathroom cleaner wipes and reclean all surfaces that I and my family will touch in the bathroom - toilet, sink, bathtub, counter tops, faucets, shower head, soap dish - you name it. I also wipe down any other surfaces such as table tops, other counters, phones, remote controls that we may use or put our things on. Paranoid ?? Perhaps. But the wipes often are soiled after I've swiped across any one of these surfaces. After that ten minute clean up I can enjoy my stay with peace of mind. And while I don't stay in five star accommodations, I'm not in budget motels, either. It's usually a Marriott or Best Western Premiere, and for the price it should at least be clean.

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

I lived in a hotel for 5 full months.  We had our own room except for one time when we went to Houston for 1 week becuause my husband hadn't been there and wanted something to do.

We told them they could rent out our room (they were sold out with a Jimmy Buffet concert.

Then we got another room there for another 2 months.  it was fun. They took care of everything.  Every night they gave us warm chocolate chip cookies and milk.

Honored Contributor

So gross!

Sometimes I do a lysol cleaning before I use anything but other times I just think-its got to be clean, they wouldn't really not clean it would they?!

"Hope springs eternal!"

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I wonder what HOSPITAL employees won't tell you.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The two times in my life when I became deathly ill, one was when I stayed in a hotel.....I’m feeling slightly yucky just thinking about it .......

Reminds me of the one and only cruise I ever went on, 

the tiny room that I got deathly sick in....worst I’ve ever felt in my life. In tiny close quarters like that, constant turn over of people, and probably not getting cleaned all that well.

Esteemed Contributor

We travel often and I always bring some Lysol wipes and flip flops to wear as slippers.  Our feet never touch the floors or carpets.  The same for the bed, we always remove that 1/4 size blanket at the foot of the bed  and the throw pillows.  Yuck, why they even have throw pillows on the bed is beyond me plus people put their dirty suitcases on that blanket thing!     I too put the remote in a plastic baggie, those are absolutely gross!!    The only thing I won't do is bring my own sheets and towels, I just pray they at least do the laundry!!   And use the glasses, never happen.......dixie cups baby, dixie cups!!  LOL

Super Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

We travel often and I always bring some Lysol wipes and flip flops to wear as slippers.  Our feet never touch the floors or carpets.  The same for the bed, we always remove that 1/4 size blanket at the foot of the bed  and the throw pillows.  Yuck, why they even have throw pillows on the bed is beyond me plus people put their dirty suitcases on that blanket thing!     I too put the remote in a plastic baggie, those are absolutely gross!!    The only thing I won't do is bring my own sheets and towels, I just pray they at least do the laundry!!   And use the glasses, never happen.......dixie cups baby, dixie cups!!  LOL

@LindaSal. . . .   That is something else we do. . . .we always purchase an inexpensive pair of slippers or flip flops to wear in the room and dispose of them at check out time. I don't want to bring whatever is on the carpets and floors of the room home with me on an item I can't wash. We also bring disposable cups, utensils, plates - even our own cup at a time (no water storage) Keurig. And we never unpack into the drawers, although we will hang a few things, especially jackets, in the closets.

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!