Respected Contributor

It's stupid.  They're speaking English which does not use gender with  nouns.

Honored Contributor

Lol.  I know why you ask. 

Countries, vehicles, ships, and planes, that offer protection as in Mother, are called she, even truckers refer to their trucks as she; however, that will be something to see when QVC sells tractor trailers or any of the above.  

Honored Contributor

I don't have recordings to prove it, but I am quite certain that I once rode in "female" pickup trucks that had "female" rifles on the rack behind my head.

And there are definite articles in other languages for which the gender or absence of gender isn't related to the article used with all nouns.  You just have to know.

Respected Contributor

I like to name things and have assigned gender to our vehicles.. For example my dark grey Nissan is named Stormy. She's a girl. My husband's Nissan pickup is Gunner, partly for the official color Gun Metal Grey, and partly for his military background when he was a tank commander and of course had a gunner. The truck is a He. 
I actually talk to my car and call her by name. Hubby does not. He thinks it's goofy. 😁
Which it is. Which is a little whimsical thing that brightens my day. 
I do not refer to purses and clothes as if they are people. . I have certain rules and standards. Haha 😂 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

It's a non-issue for me.  Just nothing I even notice.

Honored Contributor

I don't know buy it's not a new thing.  It's been going on forever with handbags.  And cars.  

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

All German nouns have a gender - masculine, feminine, or neuter - identified by their accompanying definite article.  So, when learning German, you have to learn the gender of each noun.

So, it's unusual but not unheard of to assign gender to inanimate objects.  

French, Italian and Spanish have the same. 

My immigrant grandmother always spoke of things around her house as 'he' or 'she'.  As a kid, I thought it was weird.

But when I grew up and took foreign language classes, I realized masculine and feminine references are common in many languages.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

All German nouns have a gender - masculine, feminine, or neuter - identified by their accompanying definite article.  So, when learning German, you have to learn the gender of each noun.

So, it's unusual but not unheard of to assign gender to inanimate objects.  

French, Italian and Spanish have the same. 

Add Russian to the list.

Honored Contributor

People do it all the time, IRL, not just tv shopping hosts.  It's just a manner of speaking, no big deal. 

A used car dealer or auto mechanic would say, "She runs like a top. Would you like to take her out for a spin?" Or how about, " She purrs like a kitten"?

Before pumping your own gas was the only way to go, one would pull into the gas station and tell the attendant to "fill her up".

Honored Contributor

I realize "she" is used for cars & ships, and that's fine. But for some reason referring to a piece of clothing or a handbag as "she" sounds strange me, and I don't like it. It doesn't upset me; I just think it sounds odd.