Esteemed Contributor

Could it be that "she" is more common than "he"?  Trying to remember the last time I heard he used.

I think I use it almost exclusively.

Respected Contributor

And how do we know that "she" is even the object's preferred pronoun?

*asking for a handbag 👜 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

And how do we know that "she" is even the object's preferred pronoun?

*asking for a handbag 👜 

Good point!  It's not being very PC to refer to everything as she.

Honored Contributor

I refer to my Dodge Challenger as she.  Her name is Dixie and she is FAST!  I ❤️ her!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

At least the hosts aren't referring to an item as "they."

Actually, I think "it" would be an okay neutral pronoun. Why doesn't anyone having a personal pronoun preference and doesn't feel comfortable with "he" or "she" ever ask to be referred to as "it?"

Not a hater. Just askin'.

Valued Contributor

So many people are saying that it's done in other languages. Ok, but we're talking English here. Others say they refer to their cars as she & give them female names. No problem with that if you want to do that with an inaminate object. Afterall, they give huricanes names. It does no harm. It's your vehicle & you paid for it. I personally think of a car as just a form of transportation though. I have one that's reliable & basic. 

Regular Contributor

Agreed.  In English using She for an inate object doesnt make sense  - we do not have a grammatical gender.  And if it were - the host are using it all wrong anyway.

In Italian - the word "Scarpa" means shoe, not She. Despite that it is in femine form,  it translates to SHOE.  Not a male persons shoe nor a female persons shoe - just shoe.    

That is with all Romance based languages.  So for the host to call an Item "She" is just for Marketing appeal to women.   This is a selling channel.  Everything is done with a purpose. 

Regular Contributor

No different than the hosts calling females "Miss" followed by their first time.  They think they are being cool.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@NYCMOM  Agreed. 

It's a ploy.  Calling an inanimate object a she lends it a "life" in a way.  It's a subtle signal that it's OK for you to have an attatchment to it.  Like a dolly from childhood.  So it's OK,  bring her Home to you!   With Easy Pay!

Valued Contributor

What is this "Solved. Go to best answer" box in the OP's post? Who decides this?