Frequent Contributor

Why do the hosts keep referring to inanimate objects as "she"? It's super creepy and makes them sound uneducated.

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing new - - 'things' have always been called a 'she '.

Respected Contributor

I've always hated that...and I always will. 😏

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Ships have been referred to as "she" for centuries:

Another tradition is to consider ships as female, referring to them as 'she'. Although it may sound strange referring to an inanimate object as 'she', this tradition relates to the idea of a female figure such as a mother or goddess guiding and protecting a ship and crew.

People give their cars and boats names and call them "she."

There's nothing "uneducated" about it at all.  Well informed students of nautical history perhaps.

Honored Contributor

The hosts have picked up on the term from some of the "designers", who have used the term for years.

Honored Contributor

All German nouns have a gender - masculine, feminine, or neuter - identified by their accompanying definite article.  So, when learning German, you have to learn the gender of each noun.

So, it's unusual but not unheard of to assign gender to inanimate objects.  

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Ships have been referred to as "she" for centuries:

Another tradition is to consider ships as female, referring to them as 'she'. Although it may sound strange referring to an inanimate object as 'she', this tradition relates to the idea of a female figure such as a mother or goddess guiding and protecting a ship and crew.

People give their cars and boats names and call them "she."

There's nothing "uneducated" about it at all.  Well informed students of nautical history perhaps.

When QVC starts selling ships, cars, and boats and refers to them as a she I might cut them some slack. But IMHO calling a shirt a she is dumb. 🙄 

Frequent Contributor

I totally agree pupwhipped.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it is sort of stupid, but who really cares? I am sure the hosts are saying that because their producers have told them to say it. 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

All German nouns have a gender - masculine, feminine, or neuter - identified by their accompanying definite article.  So, when learning German, you have to learn the gender of each noun.

So, it's unusual but not unheard of to assign gender to inanimate objects.  

French, Italian and Spanish have the same.