Trusted Contributor
I watching the tsv ice cream thing, every host and the vender keeps saying how healthy this is, however, the ads show the "healthy ice cream" and all the the toppings that are artificial and loaded with sugar. gotta laugh!
Honored Contributor

I know---but you don't HAVE to add anything sweet---but in my world--whats the point in thatWoman Wink Think it would be nice to make it non dairy--my DD can't do dairy. We'd use oatmilk or almond milk ---I can eat dairy, just not the sugar. 

Honored Contributor

You can make it as healthy as you want it to be, but it's not ice cream.  Ice cream is churned.  This is a shaved product.  It reminds me of the frozen desserts of old where you would freeze the recipe, then pull it out of the freezer and use a scoop the shave it, and then you would freeze it again, repeat however many times required to get the result you wanted.  Those who didn't read recipes decades ago before all these at-home ice cream machines became popular probably have no idea what I'm talking about.  

The advantage of these is that it's apparently easy to make low sugar treats which won't work well in an ice cream maker that churns the product.  You really need the sugar to get a creamy product.  The less sugar, the less creamy and more icy it'll be. 

I do not have one, but may end up getting one some time in the future if DH is interested in low sugar frozen treats.  i just go for full fat, full sugar ice cream from the store. 

Honored Contributor

It's one of those gadgets you'd use like crazy when new then the novelty would wear off and it would gather dust, taking up valuable kitchen real estate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's one of those gadgets you'd use like crazy when new then the novelty would wear off and it would gather dust, taking up valuable kitchen real estate.

I also don't think it fits under kitchen counters.  Talk about taking up counter space.

I cannot eat dairy.  Thankfully, there have been several great improvements in dairy-free ice cream available in grocery stores in recent years.  I just add any additional ingredient I want to a bowl of it and keep my freezer space, and counter space, for other things.  From one pint of vanilla, I can have a bowl of cookies & cream,  maple pecan, or anything.  

I live alone.  Two pints of ice cream is all I can get through the entire spring/summer season anyway. 

Honored Contributor

I can buy a lot of ice cream for $190.....and don't have to wash some "appliance".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

You can make it as healthy as you want it to be, but it's not ice cream.  Ice cream is churned.  This is a shaved product.  It reminds me of the frozen desserts of old where you would freeze the recipe, then pull it out of the freezer and use a scoop the shave it, and then you would freeze it again, repeat however many times required to get the result you wanted.  Those who didn't read recipes decades ago before all these at-home ice cream machines became popular probably have no idea what I'm talking about.  

The advantage of these is that it's apparently easy to make low sugar treats which won't work well in an ice cream maker that churns the product.  You really need the sugar to get a creamy product.  The less sugar, the less creamy and more icy it'll be. 

I do not have one, but may end up getting one some time in the future if DH is interested in low sugar frozen treats.  i just go for full fat, full sugar ice cream from the store. 

@Icegoddess We freeze chunks of bananas, add one fresh one and a tiny bit of milk and vanilla and throw it in the Vitamix.  We eat some right off and freeze the rest.  Same thing.

We also have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, put bananas, add other fruits maybe, a little milk or even yogurt, and if we want add a little honey, pulse that then throw it in the ice cream maker.  Easy and great dessert!  

Respected Contributor

Has "Contraption" written all over it.

Or...."Yard Sale Find".

This is NOT a thing that will take up space in your kitchen....Nope....

It's gonna take up space in your garage, your basement or on the Yard Sale table.

Take a day to make a few ounces of shaved something or other....NOT ice cream  just shaved frozen stuff.

200 bucks? 

Rather buy REAL ice cream ( and there are a lot of them),eat it and toss the carton.By the time you"create" something with this thing, you can open a carton, dish it out, eat it, wash the bowl, put it away and be on your way.

This is just another Ninja gimmick, to put up there with the endless Dyson gimmicks. 

Ninja-Dyson-Ninja-Dyson-they must have bought a stake in QVC....

If you have a Vitamix already, you can easily use that to do the same thing. That is, if you can figure out where in the basement or garage that thing is residing these days!!!!

Regular Contributor

@Othereeeen  

"If you have a Vitamix already, you can easily use that to do the same thing. That is, if you can figure out where in the basement or garage that thing is residing these days!!!!"

That last sentence really cracked me up!  We recently dug our George Foreman grill out of the basement.  We call our basement the appliance graveyard. Woman LOL

Contributor

I bought an ice cream maker years ago from HSN when my girls were young, thought it would be fun for them. I always enjoyed making ice cream when you had to crank it, used rock salt.  The HSN one  got t very hot, smelled like it was going to catch on fire, never worked right.  It is somewhere in the garage.  Rachel should come up with some better words to use.  She is saying "we are forcing you..".  QVC doesn't have any power over me and I think Rachel is a terrible host.