Contributor

Re: iRobot Floor/Rug Cleaner

I have had my original Roomba for over 8 years plus I purchased the last TSV so now I have one on both floors of my house. I love Roombas and would never ever be without one. I have long hair and we do have a large Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a cat so I do need to clean the brushes after each use in addition to emptying the dirt cup but that is just general maintenance and takes only a few minutes. It is amazing what they pick up and the ease of having them go under the furniture and into the closets is wonderful. They handle all floor surfaces well and go from one to the other without my having to adjust anything. We have hardwood, carpet, and ceramic tile. I just wish they would invent one that does the stairs! I am ordering this one as a Christmas gift/housewarming present for our niece.

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG, my model is a 650. It came with 3 filters (still haven't replaced them because occasionally I rinse them off & let them air dry & reuse) one barrier, same amount of batteries as the TSV and the cleaning tool. To the best of my memory I paid $299.99 in BB&Beyond with the 20% coupon approximately 5 years ago. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I went ahead and ordered one. With the free shipping and extension until the end of January to return, my dogs and I plan to give it a real test! 

My house has linoleum in the kitchen, breakfast room, and utility room; tile in the entry way; and a somewhat thick rug in the rest of the house. I say "somewhat thick" because after many years of living here, the only areas that are really nice and plush are in the corners where no one walks! 

The drop-down family room may give pause to the iRobot, but the rest of the house will be fine for it to go thru.

It will be interesting to watch how the youngest dog reacts the first time, and then ensure that the door is closed to the area of the house I am having the iRobot clean, otherwise she would probably try to play with it! The other dog gets intimidated easily and will just go out the doggy door and hide until I say it is okay to come back in. Smiley Happy

Now the big decision is what to name it! ha!  

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  Did you see (recently) where James Cordan (Late Late Show) had a video of a cat riding on a Roomba?  It was soooo funny that they replayed it on the CBS morning news last week.  It's probably on You Tube too.  Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@2blonde Now that would be funny! LOL!!! I can imagine a cat doing that. ha!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  Yeah, he was just sitting comfortably on it, apparently enjoying the ride.  I used to have a cat that enjoyed riding on my pilates machine with me!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler  I just placed my order, too.  We have a rec room in the finished basement, so I was tempted to order two.  Instead, I went to Amazon and ordered a second dock charger for $42.  

Edited to add:  I think I'll name her Rosie, after the Jetsons' robot maid. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG Oh, good idea on the second dock charger.

And also on the name of Rosie. Perfect! On one of the presentations, a lady who called in said she named hers Edith. Love that too!

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG  Good name.  Ours has always been "Wall-e", so guess the new guy will be "Wallee Jr"!!Smiley LOL

KK

Frequent Contributor

I want one that will wash my floors.  At 65, I run out of energy with the dusting, polishing, laundry, cooking, and maybe one errand per day.  I'm OCD keeping my kitchen and bathrooms clean, and that always goes well and makes me feel good.

Help with the floors, and I think I will be good.  Off to place my order!