Frequent Contributor
Why oh why does this pan which they are promoting to use everyday has casserole handles?? This just does not make sense to me. What am I missing?
Honored Contributor

I guess because you can use it in the oven to bake so two handles would make it easier to get out of the oven.

Respected Contributor

Although the TSV appears to be a nice pan, if you want a real, honest to goodness cast iron pan, Amazon sells a nice selection of the Lodge, made in the USA tried and true cast iron __ and free shipp ing.  I've had mine for 50+ years. 

Contributor

Re: Zakarian cast iron TSV

[ Edited ]

The TSV cast iron pan is junky.  I agree with the other poster regarding the Lodge cast Iron pan.  I've had mine for several years, it is the best frying pan and made in USA.  Plus free ship from Amazon.   Win Win...save your money and get the Lodge pan either at Lodge website 

Edit to remove picture from another retailer.

Frequent Contributor

Yes Lodge are great, made well and a lot cheaper.

Respected Contributor

I have to add my 2 cents on this one. I agree with other posters re: Lodge cast iron. They're made in America and very high quality. Even though it's very difficult to find, I am a bit nervous to use any cookware that's not made here. If I'm going to use a pan where I can use very high heat, I need to be sure it's going to be safe. Zakarian stuff is nice looking and I'm guessing he uses his own cookware, I'm just not sold on it. I buy my Lodge directly from them, I'm on their mailing list and receive special offers during the year.

Super Contributor

I understand that Lodge has great cast iron pans.

I have Le Creuset pieces and also some of Geoffry's other things. 

I do like his line and have purchased other things. I did buy this pan. I got the blue as the other pieces I have are that blue. I'm sure that I will not be disappointed.

Honored Contributor

I purchased the Zakarian 12" non-stick skillet with the long handle last year.  I will never purchase another cast iron anything from this brand.  You can read the reviews; 3.5 rating, but over half of the reviews give it a solid 1-star.

For me, the pan developed dark discolorations in the non-stick coating, then hot spots.  Then, while cooking on low/medium heat, the coating started popping off in the pan into my food!  I couldn't figure out the noise at first, it sounded like those Pop-Rock candies from years ago.  My food was littered with black coating.  I always took extra care with that pan, never using metal utensils, always hand washed in mild soap, etc.  I looked at the reviews and saw many mentions of the coating popping off.

Needless to say I returned it as defective for a full refund, no problem.  Never again.

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I purchased the Zakarian 12" non-stick skillet with the long handle last year.  I will never purchase another cast iron anything from this brand.  You can read the reviews; 3.5 rating, but over half of the reviews give it a solid 1-star.

For me, the pan developed dark discolorations in the non-stick coating, then hot spots.  Then, while cooking on low/medium heat, the coating started popping off in the pan into my food!  I couldn't figure out the noise at first, it sounded like those Pop-Rock candies from years ago.  My food was littered with black coating.  I always took extra care with that pan, never using metal utensils, always hand washed in mild soap, etc.  I looked at the reviews and saw many mentions of the coating popping off.

Needless to say I returned it as defective for a full refund, no problem.  Never again.

I purchased all three sizes of his cast iron pans. At first, they worked very well. Over time however, they have started to discolor on the inside, and there seems to be a spot right in the center that looks the logo on the bottom is coming through....it's hard to explain, but I'm really disappointed and won't purchase anymore from this line¿

Respected Contributor

I own both Staub and Lodge pans that work beautifully.  I trust both brands.  Did they say where this TSV is manufactured?   I haven't checked that yet.   Easy pass for me. 

Enjoy if you got it.