Valued Contributor

Would it be worth it for me to get a Tracfone?

Tracfone is something I know nothing about. Watching the presentation makes it look good. I currently have Verizon and pay about $39 a month with my corporate discount. I rarely talk on the phone so I never used even close to 450 minutes a month. I don't have a smart phone so I don't surf the web but would like that option. Would it be worth it to get the Tracfone? I'm going to view the presentation again online and try to decide. Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Would it be worth it for me to get a Tracfone?

Yes.you sound like a perfect candidate for trac phone .
Esteemed Contributor

Does this cellphone service work in your area. http://coverage.simplywireless.com/zipCode.aspx?carrier=TRACFONE&network=7

I would buy this phone and keep my Verizon contract. Is this the right phone service for you?

You may want to check Verizon site for a better contract and or call CS.

Valued Contributor

I rarely make or take calls on my Tracfone, but i enjoy texting as a way to stay in touch w/ family/friends each and every day. It's nice to have the web available but from my experience works best where there is free wifi (I've got last yr's Samsung.. maybe things are different now w/ the new LG).

If you keep your phone past the one yr, or ever need to add minutes, one 60 minute card (yours will triple to 180 automatically) still costs $19.99 and will extend your account for another 3 months (existing minutes roll-over with that). That's less than $7/mo.

I've been a Tracfone user since the analog (pre- digital took over) days back in 2001. Customer Service has always been a very pleasant and satifying experience even though at times we had to overcome each others' accents! 'Very polite and accommodating all down the line. Good luck with your choice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Trusted Contributor

I have had a tracfone for about 3 years. I am a light user, but I did purchase the TSV. I would keep in mind what the host and presenter have said---this phone is for light to medium users, as it does count not only the number of minutes of use but the number of texts. In addition, it tracks the amount of data usage. However, if you are using wi-fi, that does not count toward the data usage.

I have not had any problems with tracfone service. My husband, however, did have problems with his phone, called many times, and did eventually go back to a contract with US Cellular. So, you may get conflicting reviews. You just have to decide what you want to do and if it turns out not to be what you want, switch to something else. You are not tied to a contract, which is a very attractive positive.

I ordered TSV because I wanted some of the auxillary items---the GPS, google apps, etc. If I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it. Use the "view the zip code finder" and also look at a Tracfone map to ascertain if your area or travel areas are covered.

Good luck in making your decision.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your response. I think I'll give it a go. I've never had a smart phone before because I didn't want to pay whatever the going rate is but this seems like a good way to get started.
Occasional Contributor

I have had my tracfones for about two years now and I am very happy. I was a Verizon wireless Customer for 12 years prior as it was one of the providers that was reliable (I live in the country on a dirt road and service sucked). I had to go outdoors to use my phone...but at least it worked.

With my tracfone I can answer the phone in the house and not have to go outside ALL THE TIME like before and for about $7.00 a month vs the over $100 I was paying, the price is excellent.

I like getting my emails thru the phone and I am working on texting more. Anyone undecided, JUST TRY IT OUT for awhile. I opted for a new number until I was sure then when the time came to cancel Verizon I called Tracfone back and changed my number to my existing Verizon so I wouldn't have to go thru the trouble that a new number creates.

It was confusing at first with people still calling on old phone and me calling out on new phone till I was sure but worth it until I decided that I could easily get use to a tracfone. At first I kept checking my minutes but now I don't even think about it.

Another thing I really like is I can get a new phone whenever I see one I like on the Q and just transfer my phone # and unused minutes and service dates over to the new phone.

New Contributor

I bought the last one from here on a TSV that was to have all the roll over minutes as well. It was rarely used by my husband that did not matter. I had to keep buying air time as they said it did not matter. I had to pay every month for more and more minutes that never seemed to roll over ever. I would sugest you go to their website and read all the fine print. You have to keep reloading the thing evety month no matter what you use.

Regular Contributor

IF you want to keep your old number they may not be able to transfer it to the tracfone. My husband had  tracfone and they couldn't transfer his number and activate it to the the new LG Premier. They shut his old tracfone down and confiscated his service time and minutes.  I don't trust the integrity of this company and QVC did nothing to take care of it. 

Honored Contributor

@moon4rent wrote:

I bought the last one from here on a TSV that was to have all the roll over minutes as well. It was rarely used by my husband that did not matter. I had to keep buying air time as they said it did not matter. I had to pay every month for more and more minutes that never seemed to roll over ever. I would sugest you go to their website and read all the fine print. You have to keep reloading the thing evety month no matter what you use.

Absolutely not true.  I don't know what issue you're having but, if you have a year of service (which comes with all the TSV offers), you do not have to add service days until the end of the year.  You may run out of minutes or texts, depending on your useage, and you can add those separately, but you do not have to add service (air time) every month.

All of our minutes/texts/data have always transferred with each new phone.  No issues at all.

One caveat for anyone new to Tracfone:  you must add service days (airtime) before your current supply runs out or you will lose any minutes/text/data you have, even if you add airtime after that.  They do make this clear so, if you let it run out, you have no recourse to get it back.