Super Contributor

Re: Wondering about the Air Joe air compressor on today

[ Edited ]

Hi @qualityshopper !  I don't have this brand, but I did purchase item # V35094, the Stanley brand cordless air compressor last fall.  I love it!  Since new cars have the tire pressure monitors, and I can't stand having a light on the dash, (and it's bad to drive on improperly inflated tires), this is a game changer.  I only have tire pressure issues in the very cold winter months, and that is the worst time to be shivering outside trying to add air to them.  So nice to be able to get home to my garage, set the air pressure I want and just press a button.  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper   I was tempted, but just looked over the manual.  There are too many cautions and "don'ts" regarding battery care.   For example, here are a few:

• Do not store the battery pack or charger where
    temperatures may exceed 105ºF (40.5ºC), such as in direct
    sunlight or inside a vehicle or metal building during the
    summer.
  • Never use or charge batteries if you suspect that it has
    been more than 12 months since the last time they were
    charged. There is a high probability that the battery pack
    has already suffered dangerous damage (exhaustive
    discharge).
  • Charging batteries at a temperature below 41°F (5°C) will
    cause chemical damage to the cells and may cause a fire.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Keep in mind that the replacement battery for this Air Joe will cost you $100.

That alone made me look at the Air Hawk because it has a regular plug for a wall outlet and a cig lighter plug. I don't believe the Air Joe has that capability and it must use a battery to operate.

Thanks very much, @SilleeMee !  I need one of these and I ordered the Air Hawk.  You make very good points.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Keep in mind that the replacement battery for this Air Joe will cost you $100.

That alone made me look at the Air Hawk because it has a regular plug for a wall outlet and a cig lighter plug. I don't believe the Air Joe has that capability and it must use a battery to operate.

Thanks very much, @SilleeMee !  I need one of these and I ordered the Air Hawk.  You make very good points.

------------

Can you all say where you bought the Air Hawk??  I see many places online, but most are the battery kind of the Air Joe's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita 

I bought my Air Hawk from HSN (see my post upthread for the link to HSN's page for it). The Air Hawk comes with a rechargeable battery as well as two power cords to use instead of the battery for power. One power cord can be plugged into a regular electrical wall outlet. The other power cord can be plugged into the cig lighter outlet inside your car. Either of these cords will work to supply power to the compressor. Or you can use the rechargeable battery it comes with for power. It's up to you. The Air hawk also comes with a few extra adapters for filling things like basketballs or bicycle tires. It comes with a storage bag but it's too small for everything to fit inside it so I found another larger bag I had laying around. 

Respected Contributor

Based on information @IamMrsG I would say this device would be worthless to many as far as using for a car in the summer or even during winter. What good would it be to have such a device if you have to carry it back and forth to the car. All low tire pressure does not happen at ones home.
Respected Contributor

That's how I see it, too, @Kindaglitzy .  Another thing is, even though they tout that it holds a charge for a year, the manual warns against damage to the battery by letting it run down below 80%.

I just don't see convenience or reliability in it. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I usually don't purchase things that rely on a battery alone as a source for power. I prefer to buy things that give me the option to plug it in with a cord when the battery goes kaput.  That's why I bought the Air Hawk. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Based on information @IamMrsG I would say this device would be worthless to many as far as using for a car in the summer or even during winter. What good would it be to have such a device if you have to carry it back and forth to the car. All low tire pressure does not happen at ones home.

---------------------

Exactly what I was thinking!! For me, the point would be to have this device kept inside the car for when - and if - a tire gets low!!  It could happen anywhere - on the road, at the beach etc.  In the summer, we have above 100 temps, so inside the trunk or car would be much hotter!!  Doesn't make sense!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@corita 

I bought my Air Hawk from HSN (see my post upthread for the link to HSN's page for it). The Air Hawk comes with a rechargeable battery as well as two power cords to use instead of the battery for power. One power cord can be plugged into a regular electrical wall outlet. The other power cord can be plugged into the cig lighter outlet inside your car. Either of these cords will work to supply power to the compressor. Or you can use the rechargeable battery it comes with for power. It's up to you. The Air hawk also comes with a few extra adapters for filling things like basketballs or bicycle tires. It comes with a storage bag but it's too small for everything to fit inside it so I found another larger bag I had laying around. 

----------------

Thanks for info......will look it up on line!