Frequent Contributor

Re: Wide leg pants.......be careful!

Frequent Contributor

Ladies, my problem is that I can face plant quite easily and I gracefully without reason, so heaven knows I don’t need anything to booster my “wipe out” count! I was in college in the early ‘70’s,, am 5’2”, and have the grace of a one-legged ostrich. One of my favorites is a little incident my first week of college as a freshman. My sociology class was in the Ag building. We were all still wearing dresses to class at the time. Very, very short dresses. The front of the building had steps going up sideways to a big landing with a railing, and then the big steps that went up directly toward the front of the building. The Ag boys would lean against the railing to check out all the girls going up the steps. As I left class and headed down the steps, I somehow ended up falling down them. At the bottom of the steps, I find my dress up around my waist which I quickly pull down. As I was mustering the courage to get up and walk away with not a sliver of dignity left, a “big ol’ boy” with a toothpick in his mouth, his boots and cowboy hat, big buckle, came sauntering over. He looked at me, and politely said (trying to hold back his huge guffaws!) “Ya okay, ya little heifer?” My embarrassment quickly became gut laughing. Let’s just say, nothing embarrasses me after that.
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic   Yep this is exactly what I thought the minute I saw those gili pants. Why not stitch the entire leg seams closed? First they look hideous with those leg openings and YES wide leg pants in some fabrications certainly DO wrap around your legs and get us all tangled up, trip, fall. Indeed this does happen.

Honored Contributor

Same can be said re: very high platform shoes while driving..............

Back in the eighties (?) a boss warned me about wearing them while driving (on company business).

I sincerely thanked him, and wore driving type of shoes (flats, low wedges, etc.)  while driving on company time and also personal time.

Btw, He was the 'fatherly type' of manager; very concerned about people's safety.

I've often thought about his various wise words.  Similar to my dad.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think the length also has a lot to do with how risky wide-legged pants can be...some of the ones they are showing now are so long you can only see the bottom of a stiletto heel....can’t imagine trying to navigate in those. I never liked the super-wide legged pants back when they were actually in style. I do have some wider-legged capris which I really like...with a longer slim top, they are flattering and don't add pounds
Honored Contributor

You would have to be a true slave to fashion to wear the wide-legged pants with slits in the bottom of the legs....ugly and dangerous....why would they sell these?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not wear anything that has a lot of fabric on the bottom. Maxi dresses and wide leg pants are a recipe for disaster. And anyway I do not want all that material down by my legs in the hot humid summer. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in Penny's and broke down and brought not one but, two pairs. I had forgotten about this thread. They looked so nice and felt wonderful. Mine did not need a hem [on both of them] and I will wear at least a 3 inch wedge or heel when I wear them. It seems that they do not have as much fabric as others I have seen on line they say to wear with a shirt tucked in [which I will do] or a shorter shirt. closer to the body. I can understand that. I am thin and carry my weight in my hips which the designers say is a good look in these pants for women that are curvey it is a go to. But, I will remember this thread when I wear them out. Thanks O/P for starting this.

Esteemed Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

My problem is floppy--bell-shaped sleeves. Need to watch out for door handles and such things. 

I have two tops but they are not that wide [the bell I mean] and it is three quarter so it will not catch. Good point ladies it is too bad we do not think of these things before we buy these clothing items. Maybe these items should come with a disclaimer. or some life insurance. Woman Wink