Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wide leg pants.......be careful!

I like wide leg pants but I also had a mishap on the stairs and almost fell.  We have a lot of stairs in our home (3 stories) and it happened a few times so I decided no more wide leg pants.  

Valued Contributor

sorry I hated wide legged pants and would not buy them 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They definitely are a safety hazard!  I also had an incident with wide leg jeans back in the 70's.  I was in a bar - yes alcohol was involved, sitting on a high bar stool. It had been raining out and the bottoms of the jeans were wet and I was having a good time with my legs wrapped around the bar stool.  I saw a friend at the other end of the bar and tried to step down to go talk to her but the wet floppy legs had gotten wrapped around each other and I went down but my drink glass was still in my hand with no spillage!!  Good thing it was the bar I frequented and we all had a good laugh - for some time until the bruise on my chin went away!!  I also witnessed many women's pantlegs get caught in bottom file drawers causing many accident reports being filed!  They just are not practical.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

A number of years ago I had a pair of wide leg pants, and if I remember correctly, they had slits like the tsv.  One day I was rushing into work and the bottoms of the legs became caught together and down I went.  Weird, I know and embarrassing  So, if you have or are ordering the wide leg pants, be careful when walking fast!  

PLEASE Don’t be embarrassed. I have little short legs and a tall body, and I have done EXACTLY the same thing. I walk fast, and sometimes super wide pants legs, although I really love them, just don’t catch up with my fast feet. Not worth a fall!

Respected Contributor

I tried to find one person who looked good in those yesterday and could not.  It made the bigger girls look bigger and the small girls got lost in the fabric.  Amy who looks cute in everything looked like she was wearing the wrong size.  When I worked at Lane Bryant I learned the less fabric billowing out the better.  I also agree they could be a hazard.  Anything hanging over your shoes could cause problems. 

Trusted Contributor

I had a co-worker get her very long and voluminous skirt caught in the escalator. We managed to free her before the skirt was ripped from her body, but it was very scary and could have been a much worse outcome. 

Honored Contributor

You can't ride a bicycle while wearing any kind of wide-leg or flared-leg pants. When I was a teen, my big bell-bottom jeans got caught in the chain and it caused me to have an accident...I almost got run over by a passing car!

Esteemed Contributor

I fell down my outside front stairs when they got caught on my heel!

Honored Contributor

Seniors beware!  A bad fall can really cause a lot of problems.  I thought the slit looked very high.  QVC is sure showing a lot of this style.   

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic  Yes!  I'm again reminded of a visit to the local mall when I was about 20 years old and those super wide bell bottom jeans were in style.  Always in fashion, I was wearing a pair that day.  When I stepped out of the store it had started to rain, so I began running across the asphalt parking lot when it happened........splat!  Face first down on the wet pavement.  I never bought anything like those pants again!  Cat Mad

Laura loves cats!