Super Contributor

Why would I want to wait until Labor Day?

Philip's flowers are beautiful, no question, but according to the presentations, you have to wait until mid-summer for a partial bloom of the impatiens and Labor Day for the impatiens to be in full bloom! Why would I do that when I can go to any garden center here in NY in early May, if not sooner and get a huge full basket of impatiens ready to plant or hang?!

Honored Contributor

Re: Why would I want to wait until Labor Day?

Strange, they showed and I've seen little plants 3" high that were in bud and bloom.  I think you may have misinterpreted what Philip said.  I did hear him say they would bloom into October or first frost.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Secretariat1 @Kachina624 

Yes, I've had these before and they bloom all summer until the weather gets too cool outside.  I think they were a little slow to start for me last year, but they were in full swing for the whole summer.  In all fairness to them, I didn't plant them right away, if I had I would have had blooms sooner.

Frequent Contributor

i think he was talking about the size of the plants not when they would be blooming

Super Contributor

I think they rebloom and he was showing the different stages  - from the time you plant , mid-summer, and then Labor Day

Respected Contributor

Did you read the Item Instructions posted on the item?

"The hottest plant in the garden! This incredible collection brings top performing SunPatiens with brand new colors never seen before. SunPatiens are sun loving plants bringing large swathes of color all summer long."

Esteemed Contributor

@Secretariat1 BINGO....I think the same thing...David tried to stress when Labor Day was...September!  End of summer!

Super Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Secretariat1 BINGO....I think the same thing...David tried to stress when Labor Day was...September!  End of summer!

Exactly,thank you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I had impatients every summer for years.  They grow very fast and bloom non-stop until they freeze.  I did learn not to over-fertilize them as they then grow foilage and not flowers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

That IS NOT what he said at all. He stated that it would take until Labor Day for the plant to become that large, referring to the planter with the enormous blooms.