Honored Contributor

Re: Why shipping so high for Lock & Lock?

@DJs mom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Look at these lids and latches, these are the 'good' ones in my opinion 

Image result for lock and lock containers

Compare these to the latches on the TSV (sorry I don't know how to get a picture of those here). They are very different. In my experience, those like the above ones are much heavier, both the containers, and the lids, and the latches are more substantial. 

I have a set I got last year with the same kinds of latches/lids as today's TSV and they are really not nearly as well made as the sets with the lids/latches above. 

@Mominohio I agree the TSV locking tabs are cheaper than the ones pictured. I have LNL with both locking tabs and the ones pictured are definitely stronger.

@DJs mom

Thanks for your reply on this. 

Not that everyone needs to agree with me or accept what I say, but I was beginning to think no one else noticed the difference in the various locking styles that Lock and Lock is now using. 

IT seems to me (and I might be wrong about this) that they used to only have the one style of locking mechanism for anything square/rectangle, and it was like the ones pictured above. 

When bowls became really popular, the latches for many of them were/are of the same style of the TSV. I do have some bowls that have the same kinds of tabs as shown above, and those are much less prone to leaking. 

I'm just wondering if they will soon be going to this cheaper style of locking tab/system. I hope not. And any that I have with the locking tabs like the TSV have much thinner and more flexible base containers as well. 

Some sets are now made much better than others. Don't remember it being this way many years ago with this line.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I am considering this set. I ordered and then cancelled but I think I will order it again. I like the nice big sizes for vegetables. It does keep them fresher longer. I agree about the shipping but it is a big set.  I calculated the cost per container with the shipping and tax and it only comes out to a little over 3 bucks so I think that is reasonable for the containers.

However, the reason I cancelled was a concern over the quality.  After reading reviews about the lids breaking and them not being the same quality, I would rather put a little bit more money in better containers.  But I really like the size of these containers and like they are plastic.  I have glass ones and love them but they sure do get heavy.

@aprilskies, as long as I've been around here, I've heard complaints about the quality of L&L. I can't presume to know others' experiences, but I think they make the best plastic storage out there. Do they occasionally fail in some way? Sure. They are just plastic after all. But in general, I've had very few problems.

@suzyQ3, thanks.  I have several plastic sets I bought years ago, love them.  Never had a problem with the quality. I have several big ones and wanted to add a few more but just reading about the current quality made me hesitant, especially when I am ordering.  However, I do think everyone's experience is different for sure and overall, I still think they rate high.

The only problem I have had with lock n lock is with one of my lids and that was on a glass container.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Target sells a line of Rubbermaid container similar to Lock and Lock. According to the Target app, my store has a single 14 cup container available for $13.59. At right around $25 including the shipping, the Lock and Lock pack up seems to be an excellent value.

@RollTide2008

this TSV was an excellent value.....especially when you consider each piece was $3.19. even when it stopped being the special value the set is still at a great price.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

If I decide I ever want the small set I mentioned in the OP, I will wait for a free shipping day.

Lock & Lock Set of 10 Multi-Color Mini Rectangle Storage Set - K46785

By the way, not everyone can open Rubbermaid containers.  I find the lids too tight and too difficult for arthritic hands.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

Bottom line,  IMO,  is that the Q charges higher shipping prices on some items and not on others simply because they can.  They make up the shipping charges they lose on their "free s/h" days that way. And they will keep on doing it as long as customers are willing to pay it. 

After Amazon, they are probably one of the largest customers that UPS and the USPS have.  They have contracts that establish the shipping costs for them, and you can be sure that their costs are lower than what we would pay, otherwise the person in charge of shipping isn't doing their job. 

The Q's shipping charge amount usually determines whether or not I'll buy a product.  If it's over $3.00, then I definitely comparison shop - especially since I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

If I decide I ever want the small set I mentioned in the OP, I will wait for a free shipping day.

Lock & Lock Set of 10 Multi-Color Mini Rectangle Storage Set - K46785

By the way, not everyone can open Rubbermaid containers.  I find the lids too tight and too difficult for arthritic hands.

@GingerPeach

very true.....my mom can never open the red topped rubbermaid containers. i have purchased quite a bit of lock n lock for her.  she finds the lock n lock so much easier to open and close. if she ever has a problem with them she slips a dull blade knife underneath the locking portion and can easily open them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

NOTHING IS FREE ANYMORE THEY GET THEYRE MONEY SOMEHOW.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@GingerPeach

very true.....my mom can never open the red topped rubbermaid containers. i have purchased quite a bit of lock n lock for her.  she finds the lock n lock so much easier to open and close. if she ever has a problem with them she slips a dull blade knife underneath the locking portion and can easily open them.

If ever I need to, I do the same thing with a knife, @sunshine45

I also have a nice collection of gadgets to help make life easier.  The Kuhn-Rikon jar opener, for example, is a lifesaver.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.