Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why shipping so high for Lock & Lock?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I am considering this set. I ordered and then cancelled but I think I will order it again. I like the nice big sizes for vegetables. It does keep them fresher longer. I agree about the shipping but it is a big set.  I calculated the cost per container with the shipping and tax and it only comes out to a little over 3 bucks so I think that is reasonable for the containers.

However, the reason I cancelled was a concern over the quality.  After reading reviews about the lids breaking and them not being the same quality, I would rather put a little bit more money in better containers.  But I really like the size of these containers and like they are plastic.  I have glass ones and love them but they sure do get heavy.

@aprilskies, as long as I've been around here, I've heard complaints about the quality of L&L. I can't presume to know others' experiences, but I think they make the best plastic storage out there. Do they occasionally fail in some way? Sure. They are just plastic after all. But in general, I've had very few problems.

I'm always surprised by the complaints too.  I've owned a lot of L&L for a long time, and I've added new pieces too.  I've never ever had any problems at all,, and I agree that they make the best plastic storage out there.  I've dropped them on the floor (from the full height of the top of a refrigerator), and they were fine.  I've never had a lid break or crack or warp. 

Like you, I can't speak for anyone else's experiences, but it's always interesting to read about problems because I haven't had any at all, and I would highly recommend L&L.  (I threw out all of my other similar products because for me there was no comparision.)

Honored Contributor

Lock & Lock is sold at other places where s/h is free or at stores you can walk into, avoiding s/h.  Not sure if the TSV is a special configuration for QVC or not.  I don't need storage containers so I don't watch.

Yes shipping rates have gone up.  But QVC also gets a discount for shipping as much as they do.  QVC has made no secret of the fact that the s/h charges are a money maker for them.  They give no break at all on s/h charges when ordering multiple items.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

Does anyone know why shipping, say, a heavy suede blazer is only $3.00?

A297446 just as one example.

I don't like Lock & Lock enough to seek it out in other places nor to pay more shipping than for a suede blazer.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Target sells a line of Rubbermaid container similar to Lock and Lock. According to the Target app, my store has a single 14 cup container available for $13.59. At right around $25 including the shipping, the Lock and Lock pack up seems to be an excellent value.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Shipping for the TSV is a bargain.  When was the last time you shipped something?

It cost me $1.20 to mail a small Manila envelope with about 8 folded in half sheets of paper in it about a week ago.  If I wanted notification that it arrived there, it was over $5. It sent to an address about 10 minutes away from the PO.

QVC can send a box of L&L clear across the USA for $5.50.  What a bargain!

It really isn't a bargain, especially when purchasing multiples of things that they often put in the same box but multiply the shipping. 

It really isn't a bargain when if you wait, several times a year there will be free shipping which often brings something like this to below the TSV price anyway.

It really isn't a bargain when so many places are offering free shipping with a $49 purchase or a $99 purchase or like Amazon just $25 or $35. Many of those places have additional discounts, percents off sales, rewards programs etc. 

QVC is behind the times in the shipping, discounts, and rewards programs. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Target sells a line of Rubbermaid container similar to Lock and Lock. According to the Target app, my store has a single 14 cup container available for $13.59. At right around $25 including the shipping, the Lock and Lock pack up seems to be an excellent value.

@RollTide2008 QVC has had lock and lock tsv's that were a much better value overall. The nesting feature is nice - but I'm passing on this one! 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I am considering this set. I ordered and then cancelled but I think I will order it again. I like the nice big sizes for vegetables. It does keep them fresher longer. I agree about the shipping but it is a big set.  I calculated the cost per container with the shipping and tax and it only comes out to a little over 3 bucks so I think that is reasonable for the containers.

However, the reason I cancelled was a concern over the quality.  After reading reviews about the lids breaking and them not being the same quality, I would rather put a little bit more money in better containers.  But I really like the size of these containers and like they are plastic.  I have glass ones and love them but they sure do get heavy.

@aprilskies, as long as I've been around here, I've heard complaints about the quality of L&L. I can't presume to know others' experiences, but I think they make the best plastic storage out there. Do they occasionally fail in some way? Sure. They are just plastic after all. But in general, I've had very few problems.

I've had very few problems with this brand as well. Most of my breakage has been because the fell out of the freezer onto a concrete floor. Definitely my bad, not theirs. 

But this set, like a few others I've seen, has an inferior locking system (in my experience and opinion). I'll try to explain. 

This set has no protruding 'nubs' no the containers, that the lids line up over and lock down over/on to. Those kind are in my experience made heavier and stronger in both the containers and the lids, especially the locking latches. 

Look at these lids and latches, these are the 'good' ones in my opinion 

Image result for lock and lock containers

Compare these to the latches on the TSV (sorry I don't know how to get a picture of those here). They are very different. In my experience, those like the above ones are much heavier, both the containers, and the lids, and the latches are more substantial. 

I have a set I got last year with the same kinds of latches/lids as today's TSV and they are really not nearly as well made as the sets with the lids/latches above. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Lock & Lock is sold at other places where s/h is free or at stores you can walk into, avoiding s/h.  Not sure if the TSV is a special configuration for QVC or not.  I don't need storage containers so I don't watch.

Yes shipping rates have gone up.  But QVC also gets a discount for shipping as much as they do.  QVC has made no secret of the fact that the s/h charges are a money maker for them.  They give no break at all on s/h charges when ordering multiple items.   

@Lipstickdiva

I used to have a number of local places to find Lock and Lock but now the only place I can find it in Brick and Mortar is some odd smaller pieces at TJ Maxx. 

Are you aware of any actual stores (not online sources) that still carry lock and lock?

Most have moved to Snapware. I wish I could support them, as they are made in USA, but I bought a set some years ago, and most of the lids were a constant struggle to get locked, some tabs broke because of it, and I gave up on that line. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Shipping for the TSV is a bargain.  When was the last time you shipped something?

It cost me $1.20 to mail a small Manila envelope with about 8 folded in half sheets of paper in it about a week ago.  If I wanted notification that it arrived there, it was over $5. It sent to an address about 10 minutes away from the PO.

QVC can send a box of L&L clear across the USA for $5.50.  What a bargain!

It really isn't a bargain, especially when purchasing multiples of things that they often put in the same box but multiply the shipping. 

It really isn't a bargain when if you wait, several times a year there will be free shipping which often brings something like this to below the TSV price anyway.

It really isn't a bargain when so many places are offering free shipping with a $49 purchase or a $99 purchase or like Amazon just $25 or $35. Many of those places have additional discounts, percents off sales, rewards programs etc. 

QVC is behind the times in the shipping, discounts, and rewards programs. 

I meant in this post, that shipping and handling isn't a bargain, not the lock and lock set itself. 

Even with the shipping added in, this set is a good deal, I just balk at paying shipping, and not a fan of this particular set's locking tabs, which are different than the stronger ones.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Look at these lids and latches, these are the 'good' ones in my opinion 

Image result for lock and lock containers

Compare these to the latches on the TSV (sorry I don't know how to get a picture of those here). They are very different. In my experience, those like the above ones are much heavier, both the containers, and the lids, and the latches are more substantial. 

I have a set I got last year with the same kinds of latches/lids as today's TSV and they are really not nearly as well made as the sets with the lids/latches above. 

@Mominohio I agree the TSV locking tabs are cheaper than the ones pictured. I have LNL with both locking tabs and the ones pictured are definitely stronger.