Trusted Contributor

Re: Why shipping so high for Lock & Lock?

Seems like anything that is under $20.00 has the $5.50 shipping charge. 

Honored Contributor

Shipping costs in general are ridiculous across all shippers. And QVC often doesn't make sense in their shipping charges. Often, a small flat container or even an envelope is $5.50, the same as a bigger heavier box of something like Temp-tations stoneware.

I pass up so many purchases here because of the shipping. Especially when I'm in the market for multiples of something. To get three sets of the TSV to the door is over $16.

No thank you. I usually wait till free ship day to order my Lock and Lock now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

Perhaps  some of the  shipping cost variations have to do with varying costs of package insurance and tracking,  and/or which shipper will be used, and/or varying labor costs among the various warehouse locations where storage, packing and  shipping originate.  

I don't know the true answer, but there are probably some not readily visible things that need to be factored in whenever a shipping cost is assigned.

Then again, the shipping cost could just be arbitrarily assigned based on what some QVC employee decides is how much the market for that particular item will bear.

The fact remains, however, that a visit to our nearest post office or UPS store to ship an important envelope or simple boxed package willl set us back a surprising amount of money, too.

Respected Contributor

I am considering this set. I ordered and then cancelled but I think I will order it again. I like the nice big sizes for vegetables. It does keep them fresher longer. I agree about the shipping but it is a big set.  I calculated the cost per container with the shipping and tax and it only comes out to a little over 3 bucks so I think that is reasonable for the containers.

However, the reason I cancelled was a concern over the quality.  After reading reviews about the lids breaking and them not being the same quality, I would rather put a little bit more money in better containers.  But I really like the size of these containers and like they are plastic.  I have glass ones and love them but they sure do get heavy.

Honored Contributor

Shipping for the TSV is a bargain.  When was the last time you shipped something?

It cost me $1.20 to mail a small Manila envelope with about 8 folded in half sheets of paper in it about a week ago.  If I wanted notification that it arrived there, it was over $5. It sent to an address about 10 minutes away from the PO.

QVC can send a box of L&L clear across the USA for $5.50.  What a bargain!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I know postal rates are up as I mail packages to my grandkids and often the cost of postage is as much as the item I am sending!  I have been told cost is based on the size of the box, and the weight, and where it is going.  I cannot figure it out!

I almost wish QVC would put the shipping cost into the price of the item and tell us shipping and handling is free - LOL!  Sometimes when I look at an item I am considering purchasing, then I see the cost of shipping that has to be added on, it makes me think twice about buying.  $5.50 shipping on an item that costs less than $20. seems like too much.  Once you add shipping and tax you are over $25.  But, it is what it is.  Take it or leave it as it is up to you!

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know why shipping, say, a heavy suede blazer is only $3.00?

A297446 just as one example.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am considering this set. I ordered and then cancelled but I think I will order it again. I like the nice big sizes for vegetables. It does keep them fresher longer. I agree about the shipping but it is a big set.  I calculated the cost per container with the shipping and tax and it only comes out to a little over 3 bucks so I think that is reasonable for the containers.

However, the reason I cancelled was a concern over the quality.  After reading reviews about the lids breaking and them not being the same quality, I would rather put a little bit more money in better containers.  But I really like the size of these containers and like they are plastic.  I have glass ones and love them but they sure do get heavy.

@aprilskies, as long as I've been around here, I've heard complaints about the quality of L&L. I can't presume to know others' experiences, but I think they make the best plastic storage out there. Do they occasionally fail in some way? Sure. They are just plastic after all. But in general, I've had very few problems.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

This set is not listed as BPA free.

@hopi, the regular line of L&L has ALWAYS been BPA-free because it is made of polyproplyene plastic.

The only line of theirs that ever had BPA in it was when they made some from polycarbonate (a harder and clearer plastic), but that was years ago and not sold often on QVC.

They replaced it a few years ago with hard plastic called Tritan, which is BPA-free. But again, it is more expensive and not usually sold here.

There are no worries about the regular L&L -- never were and never will be.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Shipping costs in general are ridiculous across all shippers. And QVC often doesn't make sense in their shipping charges. Often, a small flat container or even an envelope is $5.50, the same as a bigger heavier box of something like Temp-tations stoneware.

I pass up so many purchases here because of the shipping. Especially when I'm in the market for multiples of something. To get three sets of the TSV to the door is over $16.

No thank you. I usually wait till free ship day to order my Lock and Lock now.

Every now and then I consider ordering something, but when I factor in the shipping, it's a big "no"!  So, like you, I pass up many purchases because of the cost of shipping.  If I'm on the fence, it's very often the shipping charge that pushes me over to the "do not buy" side.

I think this is a good deal, though, even including shipping.  I love the black, and the cost per piece is exceptional.  I also know I'll use all of them often.

Overall, with all companies, I try to avoid paying shipping at all, and I'm usually successful. I factor in all costs - shipping, handling, tax - and look at the bottom line cost to me.  My bank account doesn't care what the individual charges are.  It's just the bottom line, that final number.  I'm with you - Shipping charges everywhere can be outrageous and seem to make no sense at all.