Frequent Contributor

Why Prop65 Warning on KitchenAid Countertop Oven?

[ Edited ]

Here in Ca upon checkout a tiny little prop65 warning pops up. This is a legal requirement when known carcinogens are in a product.

Can someone please explain exactly what is used in thos oven to make this warning required?

https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/

Respected Contributor

Re: Why Prop65 Warning on KitchenAid Countertop Oven?

@perfumera De La Luz wrote:

Here in Ca upon checkout a tiny little prop65 warning pops up. This is a legal requirement when known carcinagens are in a product.

Can someone please explain exactly what is used in thos oven to make this warning required?

It might be the power cord. Many items that have power co4ds have the Prop 65 warning.

https://conntek.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/power-cords-and-cancer-risks/

Honored Contributor

I just saw the same warning on an artificial tree I wanted to buy, supposedly it is a chemical used in China.

Frequent Contributor

Possibly nomless- thanks for that link.

I tried submitting this question on the Q&A on the webpage for the product but so far the question has not been approved or replied to.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a long list of possible chemicals. We deserve to know exactly what is used and where it is used.

This info should be clearly stated so that the consumers cabn decide for themselves if they want the risk. People in other states deserve to know too!

While this law can be a pain, it is there to protect the people.

Growing up in Ca before there were laws and emmissions requirements I endured massive heavy metal exposure which was awful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to Prop65, there is a long list of chemicals. But there is one particular group of chemicals called phthalates that becomes an issue when dealing with certain products. Phthalates are used on many plastic items, including many electrical cords, and it maintains elasticity, prevents cracking and prolongs the life of plastic items. Unfortunately phthalates have made it to the 'may cause cancer list' and really it should not be. The whole ordeal came about from a study done on rodents submerged in a tub of the stuff.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks silleeMeee but it would be nice to know for certain the exact reason.

Super Contributor

I'm at the point where I ignore Prop 65 warnings.  I had a Prop 65 warning on my former office building (it caused a big stink with a few of the employees).  I think they could stick a warning on almost everything if they wanted to.  I can appreciate being careful, but CA takes things too far sometimes.  I often wonder what would change if vegan food was prohibited by Prop. 65.  I'm sure chaos would ensue! Smiley LOL  

Frequent Contributor

lol gracelady

my concern is that this is a product for food- if lead or something toxic leaches into the food then it DOES become an issue

Honored Contributor

@perfumera De La Luz wrote:

lol gracelady

my concern is that this is a product for food- if lead or something toxic leaches into the food then it DOES become an issue

@perfumera De La Luz

Like it or not we are all getting a daily dose of chemicals just from breathing. It is what it is. Ca has gone to far with their Prop65 IMO.