Occasional Contributor

What's the point of a 4K TV?

I'am just wondering what's the point of having a 4K tv, when nothing on tv is broadcast in 4K?  Plus i saw a 55 inch 4K smart TV on Sale today at Walmart for $499.00  and it had Roku & several other apps already built into it.  I can't remember the brand, but i said if i was going to get one, i would get it for less at Walmart. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What's the point of a 4K TV?

Another thing to keep in mind: there is a limit to the detail the human eye can see. In general, the difference between 4k and 1080 is detectable only if the TV screen is larger than 60". Viewing distance and the viewer's visual acuity makes a difference, too, but in general, 60" is the threshold above which 4k might make sense. Below 60", most people will not see a difference between 4k and 1080. You can Google for more info about this.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvey82 wrote:

I'am just wondering what's the point of having a 4K tv, when nothing on tv is broadcast in 4K?  Plus i saw a 55 inch 4K smart TV on Sale today at Walmart for $499.00  and it had Roku & several other apps already built into it.  I can't remember the brand, but i said if i was going to get one, i would get it for less at Walmart. 

The point is, that you can playback video and stills shot in 4K through your 4K tv.   If you have a camera or video device that records in 4K.

Also, new 4K HD DVD players and 4K HD discs.

And  4K content through Netflix, Amazon  and Hulu.

So, if all you watch is standard, or HD content through OTA, satellite, or cable, and watch DVD/Blue Ray, you are probably wasting your money on a 4K tv.  For now.

But,  if you decide to purchase  a 4K tv now,  be careful to read the fine print,  because  there are competing standards from different manufacturers for 4K HD.   Also, there is more that just advertising that a tv is 4K that makes a high perfornace tv.    Is it older 4K HD, or 4K Ultra HD?  Is it back lit OLED or other?    Can the tv really do deep blacks, and what is the video refresh rate?   And more.   I'm sure others here more knowledgable about 4K than I will chime in.

4K playback content will be common in the future.  You can be sure of that.   Unless you are an early adopter of tech devices,  I would wait until the 4K standard is fully sorted out.   Lots of 4K tv's are being dumped by big box stores and online shopping networks  to unknowledgeable, unsophisticated electronics  consumers.  

It's a slippery slope out there when shopping for a 4K tv.   Caveat Emptor.     ;(

And good luck.

Honored Contributor

DISH had the Olympics in 4k on a few channels we watched.

It's just like when 1080p came out. The only shows you could watch in 1080p was by ordering PPV movies or renting a dvd to watch on TV.

Now if you buy a 4k TV you need to make sure it has HDCP 2.2 Cerified or you will not be able to watch 4k. All newer TV's have this but there are still 4k TV's on the market that don't have it. Ours has it so we were able to watch the Olympics.

DH said it really does not matter since he read they are already coming out with something newer & better as usual. If you search what's after 4k you will see one place that says forget about Ultra HD 8k is closer than you think.

They keep coming out with newer & newer. I don't think the cable or satellite tv service companies can keep up with all of it.

If you want to buy your TV from Wal-Mart just know your specs & what you are looking for.

Trusted Contributor

I know nothing about 4K TVs, but we have one.  I can only say that whatever we watch, it makes us feel like we are there in person.  I don't know why, but it does.  Except for sports, and I don't know why.Woman Wink

If this info. helps anyone, good.

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

I know nothing about 4K TVs, but we have one.  I can only say that whatever we watch, it makes us feel like we are there in person.  I don't know why, but it does.  Except for sports, and I don't know why.Woman Wink

If this info. helps anyone, good.

You are watching TV on a 4k TV but the picture is not in 4k. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz I don't know if that show is filmed in 4K but actually there are now (not many) but some already filmed in 4K.

I've been reading about this for months.  I want a Smart TV.  My TV is wonderful (all three of them), but I want a Smart TV.  

Consumer reports likes Samsung TV's the best.  It can make a difference watching 4K IF the show is filmed in 4K, but (like you said) and others said, it's like everything, right now 4K isn't universal, it's kind of like QVC might say, "This was specifically made for QVC".

I've also read that if you do get a TV you should think about getting external speakers because (due to trying to get the thinest TV possible) the sound suffers (little speakers).

Like someone said, the refresh mode can be different but you don't notice it unless you're really into watching sports, then there's lag time.

Technology moves pretty quickly these days. 

Trusted Contributor

We have a soundbar with our 4K, it is wonderful.  Much better than the regular big screen we have in another area of the house.

Our 4K has a wonderful picture and sound, it's great!!

As I said before, I don't know anything about 4k vs other.  I just know it's better all around.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Nightowlz I don't know if that show is filmed in 4K but actually there are now (not many) but some already filmed in 4K.

I've been reading about this for months.  I want a Smart TV.  My TV is wonderful (all three of them), but I want a Smart TV.  

Consumer reports likes Samsung TV's the best.  It can make a difference watching 4K IF the show is filmed in 4K, but (like you said) and others said, it's like everything, right now 4K isn't universal, it's kind of like QVC might say, "This was specifically made for QVC".

I've also read that if you do get a TV you should think about getting external speakers because (due to trying to get the thinest TV possible) the sound suffers (little speakers).

Like someone said, the refresh mode can be different but you don't notice it unless you're really into watching sports, then there's lag time.

Technology moves pretty quickly these days. 

@Annabellethecat66 We have service with DISH & 4k is not available right now. I don't know when it will be. I guess when they showed the Olympics it was suppose to be in 4k but I assume they were upconverting I think it's called & that would not be true 4k from what I understand. We have a really good picture on the TV so really does not matter to me as long as it has a good pic.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz Yes, a lot of people don't think about the fact that it depends on the reception you get (still comes down to that).

My problem is I have a nice 45" TV in the TV room and a 30 something Samsung in the bedroom and something in the sewing room, they are 1080 but they aren't Smart TV's.  I have an Apple something to watch Netflix, etc and never even use the thing.  I like most new shows and watch a lot of TV but specific shows.

I'm getting ready to update Comcast to the one where you talk into it (my daughter has it).  I can now only DVR two shows at the same time but I get every channel offered.  It's stupid that you have to be watching one of the two shows!!  With the new season I'm excited about more than one show.

I've posted this before.  As I said I have teenage grandchildren and ages on down.  None of them watch TV.  They are always on the internet.  I've asked them about their friends and they say their friends don't watch TV either.

I think free (regular channels) will not be available in the near future (it will all be 'cable').