Valued Contributor

Re: What is Amazon Fire TV Stick?

@thyme Patty wrote:

I have Prime...  I think I'll order it.  Cat Very Happy

I have one and I'm a Prime member.  I like it.  I can watch anything on Prime for free.  

Occasional Contributor

That is exactly what I did. Bought 2 sticks for 2 TVs in my house. I have Amazon Prime already, that is $100 a year. My Comcast Xfinity bill kept creaping up and up, right now to about $200 a month (internet and TV). I ditched the TV service,and only keept the internet from Comcast ($80/month),  added digital antenna to get the local channels ($22)   All in all, I am getting the same, if not more, this way but  saving about a $1,000 a year paying for cable where most of the channels I did not watch anyway.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Oh wow, I need to get on BOARD.  I'm sick of my verizon bill, my phone, internet, and cable with the NFL Red zone is 250.00 per month.  I need to research because I wonder if hubby will still get all his ESPN, NFC, NBA channels.  He wants to KEEP those channels.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

I’m still not clear.  I have basic cable TV but would like to get some of the other channels, i. e. , ESPN, HGTV, DIS, etc .   With Amazon Fire, could I get these channels?  Also Netflix or Hulu WITHOUT the additional monthly fee?  I am a prime member.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gonnab wrote:

I’m still not clear.  I have basic cable TV but would like to get some of the other channels, i. e. , ESPN, HGTV, DIS, etc .   With Amazon Fire, could I get these channels?  Also Netflix or Hulu WITHOUT the additional monthly fee?  I am a prime member.  

Netflix and HULU are separate streaming services, not part of Amazon Video. Prime members have access to unlimited shows provided by Amazon Video service. You will still have to pay fees for Netflix and HULU services regardless of your account status with Amazon. @gonnab

This might help clarify...the Amazon Fire TV stick is simply a device which gives us the ability to access streaming services like Netflix, HULU, Amazon Video, etc. When viewing the various services, however, you need to change setting applications to switch from one to the other.

You do not need this device, or any other like it, if you have a smart tv which has one built in it already, but connecting a streaming device to a smart tv will give you diversity.

Esteemed Contributor

@thyme Patty wrote:

@BalletBabe

Could you tell me why you like Roku better..  I'm thinking about ordering the TSV, but was wondering what the difference are with thse 2.  TY

@thyme Patty  I am so sorry that I wasn't online to see your question.  I think Roku has more channels that I like, for example I can get QVC 2,  I cannot on the fire stick.  I never had to deal with CS for the fire stick, but I can tell you Roku CS is excellent.   I also thought the fire stick was harder to set up.   I hope you get what your happy with and again , I am sorry I was not here sooner to answer your question.   

Esteemed Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@thyme Patty wrote:

I have Prime...  I think I'll order it.  Cat Very Happy

I have one and I'm a Prime member.  I like it.  I can watch anything on Prime for free.  

I do not have prime but I haven't found the sticks to get me to cancel my cable.  Cannot get near enough channels.  I am a TV freak, I have one in every room and I do not have a big house.  I was even able to obtain one that connects to the old TV's that weigh 700 lbs.  LOL   I watch a lot of you tube music video's on those tv's.   I don't buy enough from Amazon to pay for prime.  

Esteemed Contributor

Patty and anyone else that reads this.   If you purchased a Aexa or any other devices that gave you a free month of audio books or music unlimited, you will have to contact Amazon CS because when I tried it I couldn't get it because it said I was already a member.   If you call Amazon CS and tell them you purchased this from QVC and need to them to activate the music or audiobooks.    

Esteemed Contributor

@gonnab

If you already have Net-Flix and Hulu then you would not have an additional fee. If you do not have these streaming services you would have to pay for them.

Contributor

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
We also have Comcast and do not like paying $200a month!  With the fire stick, can you get ME TV, INSP, and local news channels?