Frequent Contributor

What happens to food on shows these days?

Just curious, all the food on display and being shown by hosts like today, what and where does the food end up? Hopefully used wisely in some manner and just not wasted!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: What happens to food on shows these days?

Obviously it can't be consumed by humans.  QVC is located in an area of Pa where there are a lot of farmers.  I'd like to think they have an agreement with, say, pig farmers, and give all their excess food to them, but I doubt it.

Respected Contributor

Food used on TV/movie sets are out under hot lights for hours. They are also sprayed to look shiny and or fresh. It is not for human or animal consumtion. Must be tossed. I was a casting director for TV commercials for years and was often on commercial sets with 'food.'  The food we hear about the crew eating is excess that never made it onto the set.

Esteemed Contributor

@littleminx  There are so many posts about the food on display at QVC these days. It seems I see at least one post each day. I think QVC should post some sort of notice on their website about that. Perhaps they do, and I have not seen it. I know they usually use up the freshly cooked items by distributing them among the staff, but I don't know how they are using them these days.

Frequent Contributor

Thanx for all the answers! I appreciate your time.
Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Food used on TV/movie sets are out under hot lights for hours. They are also sprayed to look shiny and or fresh. It is not for human or animal consumtion. Must be tossed. I was a casting director for TV commercials for years and was often on commercial sets with 'food.'  The food we hear about the crew eating is excess that never made it onto the set.

A few years ago I went on the All Access tour at QVC.  This tour was quite extensive and we saw much more than what was on the regular QVC tour.  We did stop in the area where all the food prep was done for on air food presentations.  The man in charge said pretty much the same as @ellaphant .  The food is not edible after being on display and under the lights for hours.  The food is treated so it looks fresh under the lights.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Super Contributor

I saw Rick earlier today say he was going to eat the food as soon as no one was watching!

Honored Contributor

If the hosts are not permitted to eat it due to safety issues, I doubt anyone else is either and it's thrown out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I wondered the same thing about the food being wasted.  But I sure don't miss seeing hosts like AP and RB oohing and ahhing over every single item they eat.  

Esteemed Contributor

I can just imagine the spray of saliva also that ends up on the food as the hosts are constantly talking over it, YUCK!