Respected Contributor

Re: What a shame Geoffrey put non stick in a cast iron.

I am grateful that GZ made his line of cast iron.  I have two pieces and love them.  I am not about to play around with seasoning cast iron.  No thanks.

Super Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Yet Another chef with yet another line of cookware... I have an enamel cast iron Staub 6 qt from the Q, many years ago. I’ve used it maybe 5 times. It weighs about 20 lbs- empty!  No more cast iron. The lightweight cookware is perfectly safe IMO and cooks food just fine. 

I don't understand the incredulity at a chef having a line of cookware ... were you expecting it from hairdressers?

Trusted Contributor

Love my LeCrueset and Staub, I bought the Staub from QVC years ago, still great.

don't need anymore cookware....

Super Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I love cooking in cast iron but so disappointed that it's non-stick and that it's made in China. I'll stick with my Lodge pots and pans made in TN. 

Just make sure they are "old fashioned" cast iron. Any enamel Lodge is made in China.

"Why is Lodge Enamel Made in China?

Enameled cast iron cookware has exploded in popularity since the advent of celebrity cooking shows. As the maker of the world’s best cast iron, Lodge customers turned to us for an affordable and dependable alternative to expensive European brands.

After exhausting efforts to find any plant who would enamel bright colors in the United States, Lodge had to search overseas for a partner that could meet our quality standards. We happened to find those partners in China, and have worked directly and constantly with them. We work with U.S. owned third-party inspection teams to ensure that quality is up to Lodge standards, and that all partner companies comply with all applicable employment laws and regulations.

We are proud of our Enamel products and stand behind them like we do our traditional Cast Iron. The profits from our Enamel sales still go to support over 250 families at our American company. As an American manufacturer for over 100 years, Lodge takes pride in making over 80% of our products in the U.S. and providing jobs for our community."

Respected Contributor

My mother had several pieces of cast iron, mostly skillets, she inherited from her mother.  She was an excellent cook and she guarded her cast iron carefully.  I have never been able to cook in it nor do I want to.  So many foods I cook are not are not a good match for this kind of cookware.  I wasn't even tempted even with the non stick surface. 

Super Contributor

The GZ pan or cookware in any interation is top of its class as he is an iron chef and there are only 8 in the world . No the non stick does not wear pf any of his cook wear. All of your assumptions are based on past bad experiences with bad products. Le cruset is in no way in the same catagory as this set . Why so negative when you have not tried the GZ line ?
Honored Contributor

I do wish that Lodge would make a lighter weight all cast iron skillet in the smaller sizes.

Maybe half the thickness, so it won't be too heavy to handle.

After all, cast iron is casted iron, and making it thinner (in smaller skillets) wouldn't compromise it's durability, imo.

'Say', enough space and easy handling for two eggs, or a few burgers, etc., etc.  Only lighter in weight.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, but I also have one of GZ's skillets.  Main reason is there are things you can't cook in cast iron and none of my other pans have sides.  I think there's a place for everything even if it's not for you.  There's a lot of cookware I have no use whatsoever for, like those big stock pots that come in every cookware set.  Once you have one, why would you ever need another?  All I ever cook in mine is spaghetti noodles.  But, that's just me.