Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Advice Please

On 6/25/2014 Shelbelle said:

I swear by Whirlpool, tried and true.

I have the whirlpool duet frontload washer and dryer....never any issues with odor; uses much less water and detergent than my old one, and cleans like a dream...I will buy another one when these die of old age.

Respected Contributor

Also echo Maytag top loading Bravo. Made in the USA. That mattered to me.
Trusted Contributor

I vote for Kenmore, they have great machines, I just recently purchased a new washer and dryer got free delivery and six months no interest. I stayed away from the front loaders as the salesman told me they have not fixed the smell that goes with them got a top loader. Lots of bells and whistles on both machines. Very happy with my purchase.

Super Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Perkup said:

We bought a set of washer and dryer about a 18 months ago. They are made by Whirlpool and have no "style" attached. But the panel says it is "Auto Load Sensing With Triple Spray Technology". I DO NOT LIKE IT!

The problem is, when you put in your load, if it is rather small or is rather large, the machine decides how much water to use initially. It is never enough. I know that in another cycle it adds water to the mix and probably uses enough. But I like to decide how much water to use. I guess the initial amount is enough to wet down everything, but that's about all.

I honestly would never buy this again. I like Whirlpool, but not this model or this system.

Don't buy one with the sensor deciding how much water you need. I bought a Kenmore last year, and I hate it for that reason. It makes all these weird sounds as it "adjusts" to the load. Heaven help you if you need a half load to just plain soak! It's too sophisticated for that. I would never buy this type again. I wish I had known. I would look for a washer that has a small, medium, large load with hot, warm, cold. Actually, it's not energy efficient when I have to wash a load twice. The end.

Respected Contributor

A couple of years ago I bought a top loader(no agitator maytag Bravo) and it is the worse machine. Sometimes the clothes don't get wet enough and sometimes there will be stuff on my dark pants that were not there went they went in. A lot of times I have to put the stuff back in and run through a rinse and spin cycle. I hate this machine. I am 63 years old and never had a washing machine I hated before. They washed the clothes end of story.

Valued Contributor

Here's my 2 cents:

With these new machines, you really need to watch how much detergent you're putting in.

The sensors can get clogged.

You may want to use the "manual" setting for water level - pick your size load instead of auto-fill.

Super Contributor

Love my Maytag front loader and no it doesn't stink. This is my second one, the first was left at the house we sold in Miami. The worst was the Kenmore top loader that came with this house. Since I replaced it with the Maytag no problems.
Super Contributor

I have a Kenmore Elite 800 top load which is about 6-7 years old. It has washed heavy loads and filthy ranch clothing. I especially love the hand wash cycle. The machine is noisy, but I couldn't ask for a better washing machine. I'm hearing that washing machines aren't lasting 20 years as they did in the past. I'm hoping my machine will go as least 10 years.

Frequent Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Etoile308 said: Also echo Maytag top loading Bravo. Made in the USA. That mattered to me.

Me too! I couldn't agree more. Maytag Bravos top loader is probably the best I've ever had!

I would never, ever purchase a front loader of any brand. Do not need mold or stinky problems either. Have not heard positive remarks from any friends either.

"Made in the USA" seals the deal for me. Although I have to say after reading the recommendations for Speed Queen (haven't heard about them in ages!) and the fact that it is made in Wisconsin, is something I would most definitely look into in the future. Smile

Contributor

Thanks for all who answered my request for advice on the washing machine. It looks like I will be checking out the LG, Maytag, Samsung and Speed Queen.

And I will also look for the top load ones.

You are all the best!