Occasional Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Advice Please

Speed Queen is my vote! They are made in Wisconsin. They come with heavy duty construction. They have a 3 year warranty. No thanks to computerized panels in my book. Repairs are expensive on those high efficiency models and they have odor problems. I love my basic Speed Queen!
Respected Contributor

As I have stated many times here, I LOVE my Samsung (with steam) front load set. I had Maytag and Fisher Paykal sp? sets before this set and I hated them.

My clothes are the cleanest they have ever been with this Samsung washer. The clothes come out fluffy and not wrinkled with this Samsung dryer.

I don't have a mildew smell. I did with the Maytag front load set I had before.

Respected Contributor

Another Speed Queener here. This is what I got to replace my Kenmore when it died. It is American-made and very sturdy. I still miss my Kenmore though. It was over 20 years old when it finally gave out.

Valued Contributor

Very happy with our Whirlpool Duet front load washer/dryer, bought last year. Like another poster mentioned, we just wipe the inside and outside of the rubber edging after a wash and leave the doors ajar when not in use (as recommended by the installer) and we have had no mildew smell at all. Love the myriad settings/functions on both machines. Clothes come out great.

Frequent Contributor

I have a Speed Queen top loader and it is excellent. This is the only one of many that has served me so well.

Valued Contributor

I have a Maytag set. Front load washer and I would never, never, never recommend a front load washing machine to anyone. I use the washing machine cleaner, I leave the door ajar and clean around the rubber gasket. I have eliminated the washing machine from smelling but my husband's work clothes never get as clean as they did when I had a top load Whirlpool. If I could afford it, I would get rid of this washing machine and buy another Whirlpool top load.

Respected Contributor

My sister just replaced her Samsung front loader with a traditional GE. It works great. The traditional ones last longer, but nowadays appliances are only made to last a few years. The simpler the better!

Honored Contributor

Speed Queen: We moved 10 1/2 years ago and had to purchase washer and dryer------ between sticker shock and lousy workmanship etc. We tried 3 different brands. After much research and reading reviews we purchased the Speed Queen. Machine not as loud. Clothes are not tied up in knots, smells and feel clean. Love the mini load and delicate hand wash cycle. Plus the wash cycle is shorter than some other brands that took forever to finish load. Will definitely replace the dryer with Speen Queen when it needs to be replaced.
Super Contributor

I own a GE top loader washer that I have been very happy with, I use the manual setting to select the water settings. Before that I owned a Whirlpool Cabrio that was a piece of junk, no agitator and I constantly had problems with that machine, it lasted 3 years. In my opinion don't buy Whirlpool as their stuff is junk. You are better off finding a washing machine without a lot of bells and whistles. The problem with the Cabrio I believe was the controller board, Whirlpool should have issued a recall they never did. Good luck finding a washing machine that you will like.

Super Contributor

I recently bought an LG white top loading washer with the wave force and matching dryer. The controls are on the front of the washer. It has the tempered glass so you can see what your washer is doing. It plays a melody at the end of the final spin cycle. One time my washer shut down before the first rinse. I called LG customer service, and the agent had me put my phone next to the washer for diagnosis. It was determined that I may have used to much detergent (one cup). He told me I needed no more than two tablespoons. It's a very quiet washer with many wash options that are preprogramed or you can modify. After that incident, I've had no other problems. I love them both.