Contributor

Washing Machine Advice Please

My washing machine died and I need to get a new one. Can I get some recommendations on which brand is the best?

Respected Contributor

Re: Washing Machine Advice Please

Don't know if this is the best, but I have an Amana washer/dryer. I didn't want one with all the bells and whistles. Mine has the basic settings and a large stainless tub ... big enough to do a queen size comforter! I have had them for about 6 years and have had no problems.

Contributor

My second Kenmore in about 15 years died last month and I replaced it with a Speed Queen – simple, no frills machine, but reviews indicate excellent durability. This brand is in a lot of laundromats in my area.

Super Contributor

I bought my front loading LG washer and dryer three years ago. I have been very, very pleased with them. Should they develop a problem there is a diagnostics program wherein, using your cell phone, the machine can communicate with the manufacturer and diagnose the issue.

At the time they ran about $1000 per item and that would be a gas dryer. They are energy efficient. I can't imagine ever buying any other brand.

Trusted Contributor

I was going to say Speed Queen too. I need a new washer soon, so I have been reading up on different brands. Read lots of peoples comments, because sometimes that is where the best information comes from.

I did not want any bells, whistles, OR electronic panels. Speed Queen seems to have the best reviews, and the longest lifespan (for appliances in this era at least).

Seems the days of 25 years for an appliance are gone. The washer I have now is 26 years old, not dead yet, but always off balance, doesn't spin well anymore.

Honored Contributor

I swear by Whirlpool, tried and true.

Contributor

JUST THIS MORNING, HUBBY AND I WENT TO PURCHASE A NEW WHIRLPOOL WASHER/DRYER...JUST THE BASIC WE HAVE A BOSCH FRONT LOAD, AND IT IS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!HORRIBLE MILDEW SMELL THAT I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING I KNOW TO GET OUT SMELL. WOULD NOT HAVE A FRONT LOADER OF ANY BRAND EVEN IF IT WERE BRAND NEW AND LANDED ON MY FRONT STEPS...

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/25/2014 susankate said:

JUST THIS MORNING, HUBBY AND I WENT TO PURCHASE A NEW WHIRLPOOL WASHER/DRYER...JUST THE BASIC WE HAVE A BOSCH FRONT LOAD, AND IT IS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!HORRIBLE MILDEW SMELL THAT I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING I KNOW TO GET OUT SMELL. WOULD NOT HAVE A FRONT LOADER OF ANY BRAND EVEN IF IT WERE BRAND NEW AND LANDED ON MY FRONT STEPS...

When we first got our front loader, I also noticed the smell. I now leave the door open about an inch when the machine is not in use and no more smell.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I got a new Maytag Bravos last year, a top loader, am very happy with it. It cleans very well and there is no stink like some of the front loaders my friends have.

Respected Contributor

We bought a set of washer and dryer about a 18 months ago. They are made by Whirlpool and have no "style" attached. But the panel says it is "Auto Load Sensing With Triple Spray Technology". I DO NOT LIKE IT!

The problem is, when you put in your load, if it is rather small or is rather large, the machine decides how much water to use initially. It is never enough. I know that in another cycle it adds water to the mix and probably uses enough. But I like to decide how much water to use. I guess the initial amount is enough to wet down everything, but that's about all.

I honestly would never buy this again. I like Whirlpool, but not this model or this system.