Valued Contributor

Guess I won't be watching the Q today.  Scare tactics in my opinion.  Wonder how many they will sell? Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning, but Dan is really laying it on thick and yes, I have changed the channel!

Honored Contributor

Mr  JTB  said last week he needed security cams for his office------

Valued Contributor

I told DH that if I was going to burgle a house or steal from the porch, I would wear a hoodie pulled up and disguise my face. He replied "HMMMM sounds like you've been thinking about this". LOL I said this after Dan said something about being able to see and identify the culprit.

Valued Contributor

Exactly!  Hoodie, glasses, throw something over the camera's.  I also want a job where I can watch my security camera all day!  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I hear you ladies!!  I personally do not worry much about my safety, I take reasonable precautions and leave it at that.  There is always a way to beat a system and a career criminal knows how. Of course a beginning clueless petty thief may not and this system could be a good for that purpose.

Now the number one reason I might use something like this would be for my adult children.  I remember me worrying about my Mom living by herself after she lost Dad.  I expect my kids would worry about me if I was in the same living situation.  So I would get this system to make THEM feel better and stop stressing.  I would have a camera in the kitchen or the TV room so they could see I was still OK.  The cameras outside would help them feel the home was secure.  Sneaky I know, but hey I can put myself in their place and appreciate the need for reassurance that all is OK at home.

Honored Contributor

I really didn't give it much thought until I recently saw some security videos.  Our local police page has videos from home owners that recorded people taking packages off their front porch.  It was an eye opener.  I live in a small Midwest town with low crime.  I am considering getting it. 

Respected Contributor

I think I'll stick with my dogs for security. Every selling point they bring up has been shot down by all the wonderfully devious minds here! Good work guys!  Hoodies, dark glasses and don't forget a can of black spray paint  to "shoot" all the cameras. I like some pups whose bite is even worse than their bark much better.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I really didn't give it much thought until I recently saw some security videos.  Our local police page has videos from home owners that recorded people taking packages off their front porch.  It was an eye opener.  I live in a small Midwest town with low crime.  I am considering getting it. 

@GCR18

some residents of my area have been posting the videos on the next door app. it isnt a bad thing for sure. anything that may keep your home a bit safer or deter any type of crime is not so bad in my book,.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't see it as scare tactics - just reality!  In my area there have been numerous car break ins and vandalism.  It is always teenagers and those home videos have resulted in them being caught.  Most (even adults who grab packages) don't even think that homes would have video cams.

Honored Contributor

I've been a victim of burglary and vandalism so I purchased a security system with cameras. Just having the cameras visible outside of my house is enough to keep most people innocent. That's how I feel about it.