Trusted Contributor

WASHABLE WOOL BLANKETS are THE BEST!!

[ Edited ]

Our family stopped using down and down-alternative comforters and started to use well-made WASHABLE WOOL blankets on our beds. THEY ARE THE BEST! Heart Thinner than comforters but still warm -- but with LESS CHANCE OF GETTING OVER-HEATED!

Yes, washable wool blankets may cost a bit more initially, but they LAST AND LAST! 

Give them a try!

Happy Fall!

-Solar1

Honored Contributor

Re: WASHABLE WOOL BLANKETS are THE BEST!!

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Our family stopped using down and down-alternative comforters and started to use well-made WASHABLE WOOL blankets on our beds. THEY ARE THE BEST! Heart Thinner than comforters but still warm -- but with LESS CHANCE OF GETTING OVER-HEATED!

Yes, washable wool blankets may cost a bit more initially, but they LAST AND LAST! 

Give them a try!

Happy Fall!

-Solar1

I like cotton but with this review, I'll have to check out the washable wool,

Honored Contributor

I've never had and/or used a comforter in my life. 

I've always used wool blankets & reversible quilts in the winter.  I don't wash them.  I send both to the cleaners at the end of the winter season.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

do they also get moth holes ???

@software wrote:

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Give them a try!

Happy Fall!

-Solar1

I like cotton but with this review, I'll have to check out the washable wool,

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

For a treat, look at the double layer Welsh blankets.  Like nothing you have seen, reverses.  Wash well.

If you are ever in Pendleton, they have a place out back for "seconds".  Wash well too.

Honored Contributor

I grew up as a military brat. My mom would use Army wool blankets on the kids' beds and we were never cold.  Today I still have them. They are made to last forever. I have a memory foam mattress which can get warm so I layered two of the Army blankets right on top of the mattress (under my mattress cover and sheets) to make a layer of thermal protection from heat building up in the mattress...it keeps my body heat away from the mattress and I feel comfortable all year long.  It works better than any mattress pad I've ever tried for that purpose. Wool is the best all-year long thermal regulator. It keeps you warm even when it gets wet. No other fiber can do that.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz  ours haven't. Stored in airtight bags and containers.

Respected Contributor

My mom used to have wool blankets on our beds in the winter and I hated them -- so scratchy if happend to get next to the skin.

That was forever ago.

Is washable wool something new?  I would like to check them out.

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate We've had washable wool balnkets for about 15 years. The Pendleton one is actually SOFT if it happens to touch the chin!

Be well! Keep warm!

Trusted Contributor

Are they heavy?

Recommendations on where to buy them?

(I too remember the scratchy wool blankets of my youth.)