Trusted Contributor

If you havea vitamix, do you still need a food processor?

Respected Contributor

Re: Vitamix vs food processor

I do, not sure about anyone else. I love gadgets but I'm not sold on the one thing does all.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

I think so if you have a lot of prep work. I'm getting the kitchen aid mainly for the dicing blade. Nearly every recipe I make calls for dicing. Soups, certain stews, dips. I am so tired of easy recipes that take me forever to dice. I tried the food processor on pulse, it just makes everything too small. Truly there is nothing like fresh salsa. I made soup yesterday (a staple in our house) and spent so much time dicing onion, carrots and celery. I tried a manual dicer. My hands were not strong enough.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I never buy into the sales schtick that one appliance does the job of twenty others, or whatever number they come up with.

We have an excellent U.S.-made blender that is actually slightly more powerful than the VM that we use only for smoothies.

We have an immersion blender that we use for the ease of pureeing.

We have a Cuisinart gigantic food processor that pretty much sits unused and little 3-cup Mini Prep. There are just the two of us, and a good knife and butcher block are far more handy for us, although we do use the little 3-cup Mini Prep fairly often for sauces that include items like parsley and for salsa, as well as for chopping or grinding nuts.

We have a KA stand mixer that is indispensable for many baking recipes and a hand mixer for easier jobs.

The one appliance that we use every single day without fail? Our coffee pot.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have both, but I cannot speak to what YOU would need.

I have done some things that I did with my food processor, in the Vitamix (that was when I forgot where I put the food processor - oops!). But it worked just as well.

But I don't think I'd use the Vitamix for many of the things for which I've used the food processor.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 chickenbutt said:

I have done some things that I did with my food processor, in the Vitamix (that was when I forgot where I put the food processor - oops!). But it worked just as well.

But I don't think I'd use the Vitamix for many of the things for which I've used the food processor.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I font have a Vitamix, but I have the Ninja Mega system and because it does not shred, I miss my food processor.
Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 1/25/2015 chickenbutt said:

{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Yeah, how weird is that? Well - not so weird for me anymore. I found that I had put it up in a cabinet above the dryer (?). I can't even lift that much that high but it had to be me doing it. SMH at myself!

Valued Contributor

I bought a Vitamix from the Q a little over a year ago. Because I have a very small amount of counter space, I gave my Cusinart food processor to my GF's daughter who loves to cook. I wish I had it back. There are a lot of things that the Vitamix just doesn't do the job for although I do use my Vitamix a lot and wouldn't trade it.

I am thinking of buying a small food processor (mine was top of the line and big) but am afraid that a small one won't do it.

Regular Contributor

Yes, you do because a Vitamix will pulverize things into nothingness and sometimes you just want to chop. I have a Vitamix, but still use my QuadChop by Wolfgang Puck. He is on HSN. It is small and takes up very little counter space. Very handy.