New Contributor

I saw only one demonstration on air today for the Vitamix TSV. She said that clean up was as simple as filling with water and dish soap and then running it. Is that true? I've never owned a Vitamix. Any other blender I've owned you need to dismantle to clean the parts. Does the Vitamix need to come apart to clean? If not that would be great for my arthritic hands. Also, if you make your own peanut butter with it, is it hard to clean that out? I'm considering buying one, but it is such an investment.

Any help would be appreciated.Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamix clean up questions

Absolutely true. Hot water, a drop of soap and WHIZ! Most of the things I do I can just spray it out with the sink sprayer.

Contributor

It is as easy as they say. All I do is fill with hot water about 1/4 of the way up. A couple of drops of dish soap, run on high for 30 seconds. I use a bottle brush and swish around the inside then rinse.

Honored Contributor

I end up taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it piece by piece. It just doesn't clean every thing very good if you do it the way they demonstrate it. They make it look easy, but if you were standing in the kitchen with them, you'd see--it needs a thorough cleaning. not just the swish swish they do. JMO, we're talking about food here. Better to be safe.

Honored Contributor

Yep, that's how I've cleansed mine for years regardless of what went through it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 8/17/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I end up taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it piece by piece. It just doesn't clean every thing very good if you do it the way they demonstrate it. They make it look easy, but if you were standing in the kitchen with them, you'd see--it needs a thorough cleaning. not just the swish swish they do. JMO, we're talking about food here. Better to be safe.

What whole thing do you mean you take apart? Because the only thing that comes off is the lid and it's little insert. I've even cleansed the tamper by just putting it through the lid hole while I clean the machine.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
New Contributor

When I talk about dismantling it, I'm talking about like in a regular blender unscrewing the piece that holds the blades from the main cannister. Does that have to be done every time to clean.

Respected Contributor

On 8/17/2014 countrygal47 said:

When I talk about dismantling it, I'm talking about like in a regular blender unscrewing the piece that holds the blades from the main cannister. Does that have to be done every time to clean.

No - the blade part does not unscrew at all like a regular blender.

Trusted Contributor

The only thing that's taken me a bit longer to clean out is when I have made peanut butter. Other wise clean up is a breeze.
Respected Contributor

I've had to clean the lid separately because just running the machine with soap and water doesn't get the lid clean.