Respected Contributor

Re: Vegtrug Garden Planter TSV 3/3

@Kachina624 wrote:

@HLP    How does it drain?  I'm thinking from the bottom in which case, it would soak anything on the bottom shelf, as well as the floor.

Mine has little black bags for each opening. When it's hot in the summer you don't have to worry about the drainage ,it evaporates real fast. I keep 2 watering vessels on the shelf below to have handy. Things grow very well in them.I also put fresh soil in them every year. I grow parsley, basil, thyme,  mint, oregano,and anything I see . Mine has 8 seperate pockets in it. I can't see how this one is made. This is the same price mine was. I take it in in the winter and it still looks new. Mine is on a patio of cement squares.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@HLP    How does it drain?  I'm thinking from the bottom in which case, it would soak anything on the bottom shelf, as well as the floor.

Good point!  I never thought of that but you are totally correct.  All plants need to drain.  This is poor design.

The water does slowly drain through the black mesh fabric.  You can also cut a few small holes in the fabric if you wish.

Yes, water does drain to the shelf below.  My bottom shelf holds pots of flowers, so it is not a problem.  I water the pots on the bottom too seperately.  This is to be placed outdoors, so having water drain on your patio or deck shouldn't be a problem. it rains outdoors, so a little water isn't gonna hurt anything and in summer, it dries fast.

The wood is normally cedar, teak, natural  redwood  or chemically treated wood to resists insect infestation and wood rot.  The QVC TSV is made from cedar.

Many people  have wooden picnic tables, decks and patio furniture that lasts for years.  I am not  sure why some are worried about this being made from wood.  I have had mine for about 6-7 years now and it has held up well.  I plan on treating the wood planter this year when I do my deck treatment.

I also have a vertical wood planter that I got at Sams's Club like the one in the picture.  It is wonderful and is a few years old.  These types of planters save my bad knees and are easy to water and move to a secure spot when a storm comes through or cover up early and late in the season when frost is expected.

A498F69B-2198-4C1D-A945-DD848007CC75.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a similar one, but mine is made of resin, like a pvc fence. I use it in my backyard to grow lettuce and herbs. The taller height keeps bunnies from eating the veggies. 

I've had  it about six years. It hasn't deteriorated at all here in the desert. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG 

I bought one of these two years ago and I love it. I plant lots of herbs, a small lavender plant to keep bugs away, and anything else I want to enjoy. It sits on my patio outside my kitchen and I can go out a snip fresh herbs for cooking and salads. 3 spots hold basil which I love with tomatoes. As far as the bottom shelf, I use it to hold my snips, watering can, small gardening tools. Nothing gets ruined as the fabric itself absorbs water, If it drips, it dries quickly in the heat of summer. Nothing has ever been ruined. My daughter liked mine so much she has one too and her. Hildren take care of it.

Honored Contributor

Wayfair has a selection of these.  You might check them out  if you like the idea but not that exact design.

Respected Contributor

The colors might be nice.  Free  shipping?  

Contributor

Vegtrugs are good products. I have a Compact Vegtrug and a Herb garden one. I like them because I have few, if any, weeds in it, compared to my plants in the ground which get overgrown with weeds. I hate pulling weeds! For the Compaq one you can buy cold frames and frost covers for it too. 

This model looks good too. 

Super Contributor

I think the "type" of person would be the type that enjoys to garden .....

Esteemed Contributor

Can someone answer, please, how many lbs. of potting soil does it require?

TIA!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie Wild animals -- YES! For 3 years the deer have eaten my garden!

I had given up, but am thinking about a raised garden -- either this QVC special or another smaller one from Home Depot, just to grow my peppermint etc. without  inadvertently feeding the deer population!

-SolarSmiley Happy