Esteemed Contributor

Re: Travelon today

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

I bought RFID sleeves for around $15 on Amazon, so there's no need to use a special wallet. I was tempted to get these for gifts though- some people may have cards with technology and not know what kind of chip it is- better safe than sorry!

With the sleeves I own, I just put a credit card in each- I didn't use one for my work id. My security was zapped from my work id one day! I'm not sure if it was becasue it wasn't protected- but odd that should happen when the other cards were in sleeves.

I'm considering getting these for my female relatives- they each have favorite colors and I'm always looking for a not so pricey gifts. I've always liked travelon's quality too!

Honored Contributor

@lynettey wrote:

I was recently issued a  chip CC and so I did some research. I have an EMV chip card. The RFID chip cards are different--they are card you can basically wave in the air and make a purchase, many are "quick pay" cards. QVC should explain better what these wallets protect. I suspect people are bying these who dont even have RFID chip cards. The new EMV chip cards still require contact with a machine and they encrypt your data.

@lynettey

Thank you for this.  I just got a new card, too, and it has the EMV technology (with the ever-changing code that isn't replicated if a card is counterfeited).

I was looking for a wristlet, however, and this one has not only a zippered section for coins or whatever, but looks roomy enough to hold reading glasses, and the strap doesn't move with the zipper, so I did order.  Not sure I actually need three (two I could understand better, but I guess they are in full gift mode).  I will give at least one to someone.  I've found Travelon to be a decent quality product.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@lynettey wrote:

I was recently issued a  chip CC and so I did some research. I have an EMV chip card. The RFID chip cards are different--they are card you can basically wave in the air and make a purchase, many are "quick pay" cards. QVC should explain better what these wallets protect. I suspect people are bying these who dont even have RFID chip cards. The new EMV chip cards still require contact with a machine and they encrypt your data.

@lynettey I totally agree with you.

I feel QVC is unnecessarily using scare tactics (I mean, everyone they know and all of the hosts have had their credit card compromised -- let them tell it).  That RFID chip is on such a miniscule number of cards.  They are just not available right now, so all the RFID protection wallets and handbags are selling Fear.  Yes, I believe we all need to protect our identify and finances, but do it the right way, and not by believing slick sales tactics. 

I do see that finally QVC at least put a disclaimer on the TV screen today when they show video of the RFID protection in use.  The disclaimer says something like: Most cards are not RFID enabled -  they do not have an RFID chip in them. Of course, they are counting on most people not even noticing that disclaimer.  Every time an RFID item is presented, it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about QVC.

Honored Contributor

Re: Travelon today

[ Edited ]

I'm learning a LOT of info here from many comments on RFID and EMV chips in new credit cards.  I've cancelled my order.

I did just receive my new chipped CC, glad I have it now.  As long as it does what they say it will do - protect me.

Honored Contributor

I think they should be telling people exactly how to tell if their credit card has an RFID chip.  It's very easy to tell, and you can Google it to find out.  A lot of people won't look into it though, and will just blindly order the wallet.  I was interested in getting some sleeves to protect my credit cards, but when I Googled it I found out that I don't have an RFID chip in my credit cards.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

To find out whether a credit card has an RFID chip, you can look at the card to tell if it does or does not. If you see the marked symbol on the image below, it is supporting RFID. The symbol can be on the back or front of the cc.  Also, if the card says PayPass, payWave or blink, it also has RFID capabilities.

RFID risks.jpg

**NOTE**  wrap your card in aluminum foil, which will also block the scanners. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor
I was really hoping the Travelon TSV would be a purse, and was disappointed it wasn't. I'm very particular about my wallet, and I expect mist people are as well, so I can't imagine ever giving these as a present, and I certainly didn't get it for myself.
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD  I think the three Travelon wallets were a really good buy so you were smart to purchase them.  I didn't, perhaps because I just received this past week a new Travelon bag from QVC.   But even putting the RFID protection factor aside, I can't imagine someone not enjoying getting a wrislet for a gift, even if it doesn't quite work as an everyday wallet (it doesn't meet my needs for a wallet).  But to run out to the grocery store, or to have with you when you walk the dog, or just go on a Starbucks run, who wouldn't find it handy?  And Travelon is always good quality.   So with giftgiving time coming up, I think it was a smart purchase, esp. for the price.  The RFID fector needn't be the selling point either.  

Valued Contributor

I am not really concerned about my Credit Cards..Mine don't have the RFID Chip..I wanted for travel to protect my Passport... I know all Passports have that chip..Who needs someone to get all that info. I think that's worse than scanning your Credit cards. At least,witha Credit card you can settle the problems with you CC company..BUT if they steal the info off your Passport..they can do all sorts of things!